• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Lots of internet bravado being displayed here. Some I believe, others, not so much. It's hard to learn any useful lessons from this incident without ANY details...or facts. Shooting (likely killing) a person is NOT a natural human instinct. Many people find that it may be harder to pull that trigger than they think, thus giving a warning feels more natural, giving the possible criminal an "out". OR...a homeowner could be confirming that the suspect was not a family member, the stakes are too high for mistakes.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Why would you announce yourself to an intruder? This is almost as foolish as all the laser sights or tacti-cool flashlights people put on their home defense gun. The object of defending yourself is to try and not give them something to shoot at.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I can certainly understand the hesitation. I hunted a lot many years ago, and have seen first time hunters have "buck fever" and fail to shoot an animal they were hunting and theoretically ready to shoot and kill! Obviously we all would first need to identify the house breaker to insure he wasn't a relative or close friend. My children, grandchildren and great grandchildren all are aware I am armed and will shoot so that does give me some advantage. Although none of us really want to shoot or kill anyone (regardless of the bravado remarks) there may be of necessity a time when we must,. I don't believe with all the practice and thought I have put into defending my home that the delay in shooting an invader would be significant ~ probably less than a second or two.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think it's easy to talk about what you'd do if faced with an intruder. It's quite another thing to actually commit to taking another person's life. Would I do it? Could I do it? I hope I never find out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why would you announce yourself to an intruder? This is almost as foolish as all the laser sights or tacti-cool flashlights people put on their home defense gun. The object of defending yourself is to try and not give them something to shoot at.

I know, right? It's not like we have a moral responsibility to identify our target or anything.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If a person has broken into your home armed, there is no upside to that, the situation will not get better on its own; as this homeowner apparently found out the hard way. As CM pointed out, they are there with evil intent so treat them accordingly.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    "With all due respect" no respectful words ever follow (or apparently precede) this statement.

I always thought if you added that statement you could say whatever you wanted? :dunno: Perhaps I could have been more politically correct and polite but when you talk about dragging bodies around and lights being worthless someone might actually believe him.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I always thought if you added that statement you could say whatever you wanted? :dunno: Perhaps I could have been more politically correct and polite but when you talk about dragging bodies around and lights being worthless someone might actually believe him.

It helps if you say it before your statement. At least in my experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does anybody hold a light hi and away from themselves when clearing you house or property. Left hand up and away.
    Just asking. This has come up in training scenarios.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Does anybody hold a light hi and away from themselves when clearing you house or property. Left hand up and away.
    Just asking. This has come up in training scenarios.

That is how police were taught back in the day. Now with gun lights your gun is aimed wherever the light is. One reason to have a light bright enough that he person on the other end can't tell what is behind it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

You're right. Better off shooting one of your kids than having a light on your gun.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Like the old adage I firmly believe in, Shoot them and then drag them into your house.
    Then drag them back out over the blood tail.

I feel like I'm standing at the ammo counter at Wal-Mart. "My cousin, the reserve deputy, always (spits tobacco) told me to just drag (pulls pants up) the body in to the house."

Me: "mmhmmm"

Top Bottom