• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Training can't completely prepare you for any situation but thanks to training I know what the State law says and I know the general feeling of the prosecutor in my county. BBI and Coach will tell you that every situation is constantly evolving. One second it can be a good shoot and the next can be iffy or a no shoot situation. Internet "chairborn ranger" training MAY not be relevant to your situation. I've never fired a pistol in defense of my life. I HAVE attended training with people that have real world experience and I feel I'm as prepared as I can be for a situation like this.
    $1000 on a pistol, couple hundred on a holster and belt, few hundred on ammo but $100 for training is out of the question? In spite of what you think you will do, you will not rise to the occasion you will default to your level of training.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Training can't completely prepare you for any situation but thanks to training I know what the State law says and I know the general feeling of the prosecutor in my county. BBI and Coach will tell you that every situation is constantly evolving. One second it can be a good shoot and the next can be iffy or a no shoot situation. Internet "chairborn ranger" training MAY not be relevant to your situation. I've never fired a pistol in defense of my life. I HAVE attended training with people that have real world experience and I feel I'm as prepared as I can be for a situation like this.
    $1000 on a pistol, couple hundred on a holster and belt, few hundred on ammo but $100 for training is out of the question? In spite of what you think you will do, you will not rise to the occasion you will default to your level of training.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&] /[/FONT][FONT=&] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Training and actually using your handgun of choice. Run it. Become as one with it. Then hope you never have to actually use it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Personally I stash ultra bright flash lights all over my house on a remote switch. That way they all go one so the bad guy thinks there's 30 people pointing guns at him.

That wthat way he won't know which flash light I'm behind.

Muuuahahahahaha

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Why would you announce yourself to an intruder? This is almost as foolish as all the laser sights or tacti-cool flashlights people put on their home defense gun. The object of defending yourself is to try and not give them something to shoot at.

A good light can definitely be useful on a HD gun.

I agree. You're going to be somewhere in the vicinity of that light and now they know where to shoot.

Does anybody hold a light hi and away from themselves when clearing you house or property. Left hand up and away.
    Just asking. This has come up in training scenarios.

I attended a structure clearing class and one day was low light. When entering a room or in a confined space, LED weapon lights are VERY bright. We did a lot of Blue Gun FOF in low light. There were bad guys in the rooms we were entering and they KNEW we were entering. EVERY TIME, we got a drop on the bag guy hiding because the light was so bright that it filled their entire vision. This silliness about giving away your position (in the confines of your house) is total BS. The bright light was distracting enough that the good guy got a drop on the bad guy even though they knew the good guy was coming. We tried it over and over and the result was the same. Also, the light goes on and stays on. Now, it's different in open spaces, like outside. I remember searching yard to yard in pitch black with my rifle, walking with a K9 officer and his dog, looking for a robbery suspect. In that case, the light stayed OFF and was only used is short confined bursts. Open spaces won't disorient your bad guy and will give your position away. Once cornered, the light can stay on because you will be likely be close enough that their vision will be obscured by the light beam.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I attended a structure clearing class and one day was low light. When entering a room or in a confined space, LED weapon lights are VERY bright. We did a lot of Blue Gun FOF in low light. There were bad guys in the rooms we were entering and they KNEW we were entering. EVERY TIME, we got a drop on the bag guy hiding because the light was so bright that it filled their entire vision. This silliness about giving away your position (in the confines of your house) is total BS. The bright light was distracting enough that the good guy got a drop on the bad guy even though they knew the good guy was coming. We tried it over and over and the result was the same. Also, the light goes on and stays on.

What is the opinion about strobes? I have a light that I can strobe with, but it seems to almost disorient me as much as I would think the receiving end would get.

When I practice clearing my house I don't leave the light on constantly. Short bursts where I can't tell what's what and then on to the next area. Might have stepped on a cat a couple times, but that's just a bonus.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    What is the opinion about strobes? I have a light that I can strobe with, but it seems to almost disorient me as much as I would think the receiving end would get.

When I practice clearing my house I don't leave the light on constantly. Short bursts where I can't tell what's what and then on to the next area. Might have stepped on a cat a couple times, but that's just a bonus.

Most of my lights have the strobe option. I never use it inside especially with light colored walls it will wash you out completely. I have used the strobe in an outdoor environment and it works quite well at short distance disorienting another person and not having much of or any effect on me. Just my opinion and observation.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Personal preference. I use constant on lights exclusively.

Top Bottom