• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Better 10 guilty men go free than a single innocent be convicted, or something to that effect.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. That's dirty pool to offer to drop all charges against one guy if another guy pleads guilty to something different.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

"homeless camper"....others than those staying in shelters.....?

attachment.php

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    (Warning: this joke is applicable primarily to Marion and Hamilton counties.)

I only WISH used car dealers gave as good a deals as some prosecutors.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Dropped isn't a legal term, it is slang for dismissed, nolle pros., not-refiled, diverted, acquitted, etc.

It is generally used anytime that a person is arrested or charges are submitted and the matter is resolved without a conviction.

Ok, thank you. In criminal law, I was under the impression that 'dismissed' (the legal term used by Kirk) suggests that the judge reviewed the case and dismissed it for a variety of possible reasons.

The same term can be used when a prosecutor decides not to prosecute a case?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    As for the case, Sandy seemed to have more legal problems considering his statements of intent prior to the shooting and the potential tampering with his camera. I'm surprised they were tried together at all.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ok, thank you. In criminal law, I was under the impression that 'dismissed' (the legal term used by Kirk) suggests that the judge reviewed the case and dismissed it for a variety of possible reasons.

The same term can be used when a prosecutor decides not to prosecute a case?

Kind of. Dismissedgenerally means that a case was filed but was terminated prior to a trial verdict because the judge granted a motion to dismiss. In criminal cases, the motion to dismiss usually comes from the prosecutor who can generally dismiss the cases he has filed at will. In much rarer cases, defense motions to dismiss may be granted for thing like due process violations or in some states a finding of no probable cause. Sometimes the court may act on its own motion although no examples come to mind.

Not being a NM lawyer, I am not sure if mistried cases there are dismissed automatically and have to be refilled or if they stay alive unless the prosecutor moves to dismiss. In this case, the former would be a nolle pros. (or decision not to file) and the latter a dismissal.

Top Bottom