• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Don't pick her gun. Let her pick then rent some and shoot as many as possible. When I worked in a gun shop I put no less than 20 different guns in my wives hands. A few years later we went to an indoor range and the glock 43 came out and they had one for rent. I didn't ask her I rented it because I wanted to try it. After we got to the vehicle she said she wanted one. So when they became more readily available I bought her one.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A shield is a good choice. I had one and it fit my hands pretty well. I always found Walthers to be very comfortable in my hand, but I have never shot one.

If the Shield suits you, likely the Walther PPS M2 would as well. I carry a Shield now, but I've rented the Walther, putting a couple hundred rounds through it, and now I'm kinda thinking about replacing the Shield with the Walther. I also have a Walther P99, which I shoot better than any of my 9mms. I've also shot the Glock 43 and, it's just MHO, but I'd go with the PPS over the G43.

To the OP, maybe you could narrow down the choices to two or three, then take her to a range where you can rent those. Let her decide which she prefers. Well. Unless it's a birthday surprise. Then, you'd have to figure something else out. But anyway, I'd think the Shield, PPS M2, G43, maybe even the Springfield XDS 9mm. If it's a carry gun, single stacks seem like a good choice, but since they're smaller, they're often snappier. So that's maybe more of a consideration of the trade-offs between concealability and shootability for some women.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tend to be partial to Berettas. How about the Nano for 9mm or the Pico for .380? The Pico is the slimmest on the market. I've got an LC9 and neither my wife or daughter like shooting it. They say it hurts.

1. I have tried many of the small 9mm. I didn't like the Nano nor the LC9.

Look at the Glock 43. Single stack 9mm, Add the pierce extension for a +1 in the mag bringing it to a 7 +1 . Light weight, slim, easy to control shooting with a somewhat mild recoil.

2. Had the 43, and have had the Shield 9 for a long time.
    3. Shield 9 has been my personal favorite and I can't find anything to beat it, but I haven't tried the CZ or Sigs (except the RS290).

+1 on letting her try several and letting her decide. Ultimately it has to be what she is comfortable with. People often want to give the smallest guns to women and younger shooters, and those can often be the most difficult to shoot. The last thing you want to do is get her something that frustrates her to the point that she doesn't want to shoot or carry it.

4. Having tried by either purchasing or renting many of the smallest 9s, I don't understand why they think women or younger shooters should have those.
    5. I started out wanting the smallest 9 for CC, but I had to change up after shooting many: Shield, again is the kindest, gentlest, and best fit, for reasons that would apply for a woman or a younger shooter.
    6. I speak as one with only 1 yr. of experience, but it has been my mission to find what you are looking for. Did I mention the Shield? :laugh:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It sounds like she has taken a lot of initiatives already to get her down the road to carrying. I'd recommend figuring out how much you're willing to spend and get a gift certificate to a gun shop / range.

$750-1,000 would give her a lot of options for a gun, spare mags, holster, ammo and maybe even some training.

Women have a ton of considerations around carrying that men don't. Buy her a Copy of "The Cornered Cat" by Kathy Jackson. It's written by a woman for women looking to begin carrying a gun. It would be good for her to read it before buying belts, holsters etc. As others mentioned, she needs to figure out how she will carry.

Also, don't rule out compact or full sized handguns, especially if school leeps her from actually carrying. Better to have a gun that's easy to shoot and she can practice with until she IS ready to carry.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd get with Coach to find out when he's running the next entry level or specific female classes. One where the new shooters get to try various guns would be great!

That said, I'll argue the other side of a lot our well intentioned INGOers. Too often we let very inexperienced beginners "pick their own," and make poor decisions for naive reasons.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy until my daughter has had plenty of range/training time with borrowed or rented guns. Definitely start out with full a sized gun, the compact version of that gun at the smallest. Tiny guns are for seasoned shooters.

There are plenty of videos out there of little girls proficiently running G19's.

Last edited:

ArisakaTiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2017
    Westfield
    Another vote for the Walther PPS M2... my wife had a sig P232 but the weight kept her from daily carry. She was not a fan of “plastic” guns, her words, but when she handled the Walther she liked the fit best of the smaller guns she tried. I miss it as it was a great summer carry option for me. I’ve recently bought some upgraded springs for each of the magazines that she has from magguts.com that allow the factory mag +1 round without extensions, or a larger possible print from an extended mag.

As far as training, not familiar the OP’s location, but I can’t recommend Jonathan or Song enough from defensiveshootingconcepts.com. There is a women’s only course, as well he will do an hourly rate for one on one instruction. Both are currently employed by law enforcement agencies and offer a wide variety of instruction based upon need, talent or interest. The absolute best part is the value of the training - their prices are more than competitive with what they offer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd get with Coach to find out when he's running the next entry level or specific female classes. One where the new shooters get to try various guns would be great!

That said, I'll argue the other side of a lot our well intentioned INGOers. Too often we let very inexperienced beginners "pick their own," and make poor decisions for naive reasons.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy until my daughter has had plenty of range/training time with borrowed or rented guns. Definitely start out with full a sized gun, the compact version of that gun at the smallest. Tiny guns are for seasoned shooters.

There are plenty of videos out there of little girls proficiently running G19's.

AWESOME idea. Parabellum does "9mm smorgasbord" shoots where for a reasonable fee you get to shoot a bunch of different guns. All the ammo is included in the entry fee. That might help fast-track her to picking a gun. (and ruling some out)

Sadly, none are on the calendar.

9MM SMORGASBORD | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    A shield is a good choice. I had one and it fit my hands pretty well. I always found Walthers to be very comfortable in my hand, but I have never shot one.

I own a Walther PPS gen1 and it is the gun I use on those rare occasions that I wear a shoulder holster. It is a great gun and one I highly recommend. With that said I don't think you can go wrong with either a Shield or a Glock.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I see a lot of mistakes when it comes to suggesting pistols to women big or small. First mistake is that a small girl should have a small pistol... A lot of the single stack 9's can be overly snappy, they are hard to master for experienced shooters. I see the single stack micro 9's (43, shield, etc..) as more master class pistols. I have never seen an exception to this rule. Every new shooter I take out handles larger pistols easier and more naturally. And the most important part of carrying a pistol is hitting only what you mean to hit, and hitting it before it hits you. Confidence over concealability. You can make up for concealment through wardrobe choices, you can't slap just slap on some confidence.

The second mistake, is buying someone their first pistol and expecting it to be a quality uber concealable pistol, while being a good platform to learn on. I applaud getting her a pistol, but don't necessarily think that you should be choosing her carry pistol. That is like picking out boots for your coworker, it is a personal fit. I really suggest getting something to train with. Something fun enough to get her to the range, rather than dreading being forced to go shoot a pistol that wants to jump out of her hand. If she enjoys shooting, she will find people to enjoy it with and that will allow her to try on a number of pistols from the rental counter or from friends arsenals.

Last mistake I see a lot, expecting a small pistol to fit a small hand. There are some pistols designed with a small hand in mind, but most of the single stack conceal 9's are designed with an average man hand for an ergonomic model. They may be smaller, but that does not mean they will fit a petite hand.

A few suggestions, based on pistols I've seen newbies look like pro's with.
    -CZ75, it just fits everyone so well. it is not necessarily a wise conceal choice due to weight, but it will make her a better shooter as well as be enjoyable at the range.
    -cz p10c, it fits everyone who holds it, and is concealable with a growing holster following.
    -HK VP9 The full size is very concealable and fits everyone. There is a subcompact version as well. The hk mag release is easy for any hand to manipulate.
    -SW M&P9 2.0 compact, probably the easiest pistol to pick up and shoot of them all. It is easily concealed, easily shot all day. Somehow the pistol just absorbs all the recoil. I have shot my 40 2.0 compact with the hottest ammo I could get my hands on without any fear of it being snappy. Just a well made pistol that oozes confidence in shot placement.

I like glocks, but I do not suggest them to anyone with hands smaller than mine. I run gen4's with no backstrap and still have trouble getting my thumb to the mag release.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    That's a very good question. Based on our conversations I have stressed to her how easy it can be to have it stolen if she off body carries. As well as some other concerns with off body carry. I think she would settle into IWB carry and would buy her clothes accordingly. However right now I'm not sure how much she would carry as she will graduate high school next spring and will be headed off to college. So, I will venture to bet it will depend on whether she lives on or off campus.
    She seems to be committed enough that she has gotten herself an NRA membership and is doing odd jobs to pay for her LTCH and has signed up for an NRA basic pistol course. She has worked it out to use my wifes Bersa .380 for that class (unless I get her something before then).

On a side note she has been squeezing the trigger on some .22s, .380 and a few .38spls since she was 11. She has been one of my hunting partners since then and has acquired a .22lr rifle and a 20g pump that she enjoys shooting regularly. She has drank the kool aid...now I just have to keep her from letting any school indoctrinate her

I believe you have done our job and the school will be unable to sway her beliefs.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    OP I'm just north of Indy and if you would like for her to try a PPS just let me know and I'll be there. I'd also bring my S&W M&P 9c with a full Apex FFS kit. It may be the best striker fired pistol I've ever owned.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    May I suggent renting a Sig 938? I don't own one but I have fired two examples. In my opinion the recoil is really manageable for such a compact handgun.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    While she may not like a revolver and think it's bulky, she needs to learn a lesson I learned.

They're less bulky than you think, especially if you're wanting to wear tight clothing and need exceptionally good concealment. A tiny scandium j-frame in a small holster IWB is about as good as you're going to manage. Semi autos, regardless how thin, are going to print in a very specific way with tight clothing.

If you have to do a semi-auto, I might give a kahr P380 a hard look.

They're not popular opinions, but I'd be surprised if many folks have much experience wearing anything relatively tight.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    The only one of my pistols my wife has ever voluntarily carried is the Shield 9mm. Start there, and then give her competitive options like the Nano or the PPS. The Ruger LC9 is often put in this category, but its a bulkier pistol than the other 3.

Kahr pistols would be another viable option for similar.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Walther PPK/S.
    This. Gave my daughter one when she was 17. With a shoulder holster, ankle holster, and iwb. She's a bit tall and thin but had no trouble hiding it anywhere. Told her she could carry it when she turned 18 if she could qualify with it. Must have gone over well, she spent weeks showing it off.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    While she may not like a revolver and think it's bulky, she needs to learn a lesson I learned.

They're less bulky than you think, especially if you're wanting to wear tight clothing and need exceptionally good concealment. A tiny scandium j-frame in a small holster IWB is about as good as you're going to manage. Semi autos, regardless how thin, are going to print in a very specific way with tight clothing.

If you have to do a semi-auto, I might give a kahr P380 a hard look.

They're not popular opinions, but I'd be surprised if many folks have much experience wearing anything relatively tight.

Agreed-ish. I have cc'ed both revolvers and semi-autos, and I have not noticed a difference in the bulk. (However, I am a bit bulky myself, so don't know if that makes a difference.) Still, the difference between the two is millimeters.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I strongly agree with those who suggest letting her decide, but you can lead her in that direction. My suggestion is to hold and feel as many as she can and also shoot as many as she can. Different styles, calibers, ease of racking, breakdown, safety management.....ALL of these she must feel comfortable with; not just how it feels when she picks it up in the store or how you think it would feel for her.

Rent as many as you can, trial as many as you can...shoot, break them down and then decide. Also, as stated, think about how she will carry.

My wife hates the one I recommended for her many years ago; but she does like my LCR357! (and she has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands!)

Top Bottom