• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    The beauty of the AR-15 / M16 is that they are like big kid Lego's. Do what you like with it. What you use yours for may not be what I use mine for, and the next guy may use his for something completely different.

Do what makes you happy and what meets your individual needs. If others don't like it, that's too bad! They didn't have to fork out the $$$ for it!

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    That thing looks heavy! Depends on what you are using it for, but I'd take the EoTech off (don't care for them) and also remove that oversized light. I don't like a lot of stuff on my ARs, with one of the main reasons I like them being the light weight. I'd also remove the forward grip, as I've never seen the need for one of those either.

I'd replace the stock irons with a set of Trijicon night sights, a GG&G mini rail on the handguard with a TLR-1 light, a Hogue grip and Magpul rounded trigger guard, and call it a day. The TLR-1 is a very bright light. If I wanted optics, I'd switch to a flattop upper with Troy backup iron sights and a co-witnessed Aimpoint, with the same mini rail on the handguard for a TLR-1.

I like to keep it simple. :)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    looks like a DECENT (not great) CQB rifle. Me personally, I do not like carry handle uppers. I do not like DGI guns. I do not like the standard AR front sight. Honestly, I think M4s and such are sexy, but I do not like them. BUT, if you like it, and you can shoot well with it, then AWESOME!!!

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Ok fellas, I went to the Indy 1500 on Friday and bought a stripped upper receiver for my sbr. Brought her home lastnight and changed her out. Took her to the range today for a test run & a zero! Now all I need is a rear sight ... :draw:. It will be a while, Momma has me on probation from spending more money on toys :n00b:

Started out looking like this.....

IMAG0261.jpg

Now she looks like .....

IMAG0275.jpg

Thanks for all the advise! :ingo::patriot::ingo:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    They issued that first one to you? Then you spent your own money to turn it into the better second version?

Why are they not spending their money on a useful rifle in the first place? Do you and your fellow users have no say in the procurement process?

Amazing thread.......Why are you spending your money on a piece of crap to get a useful rifle?

Said as a former municipal employee and union member.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Too bad you switched it around.

I think one of the best looking and most unique optic setups for the AR15 is the C-More scout & red dot set up.

Anelson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Indiana
    Just my 2cents here but wait till you have to deploy it... I know how heavy that light system is. Nice change out with the flat top though. It really helped clean up the top.
    Anelson

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No value to me

For the kind of shooting I do as well as the kind of shooting I hope I never have to do, that thing is of no value to me. I tend to not think of my guns as toys and I stopped playing Army over 50 years ago. OK with me if you do but the OP asked for honest opinions. He didn't specify honest opinions of people who like that kind of stuff.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    IMO lose the EOtech <but I would say that on any gun...> and its fine.

The EOtech on the gooseneck is just.... cheezy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    MPD, I have been taught to use this as my polestar: if you put something on the weapon, ensure that it solves a problem for you. Obviously you as a LEO will have different problems than a Chairborne Civilian such as myself.

As to the weapon, I fail to see back up iron sights or a sling. Perhaps you just did not put them on for the photo.

My carbines must have:

1. iron sights.
    2. a light.
    3. a sling.

Everything else is optional (e.g. I prefer the Magpul CTR or a Sully Stock but it is not necessary or the BCM charging handle) and I prefer a more Spartan arrangement in order to keep weight to a minimum (see Chairborne Civilian reference supra).

Does your department get you classes? Remember software is to hardware as three is to one (my apologies to Napoleon).

Top Bottom