• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Got lucky about a week ago on the toll road near Elkhart. Road going from two to one lanes for construction. Had a gap for semi in front of me and a mini van right behind me. The third car back got a phone call, as he tried to answer the phone most of us went from 45 to 5 MPH. He kept going and hit the mini van at about 50 MPH, bounced off them and hit me as I was trying to accelerate away. I saw it coming. I try to check my rear view when we slow down like that. No one hurt too bad. Stay safe.
    View attachment 55888

Are those factory wheels?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We have a name for drivers like that down here on the river...We call them........Kentuckians...

(Of course the rumor is south of the river they call drivers like that Hoosiers..:))

Glad you're okay Doc...

You should go to Evansville. Kentuckians, Hoosiers, AND Illinois-ians all in the same place. Horrible. Even more horrible-er when it rains or a snowflake hits the pavement.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I may have to look into a dashcam. I'll read up on them a bit, but for initial purposes, are they pretty much set and forget, unless you need to pull the footage due to an event?

Also, I have no idea how there were not a lot of expletives caught on that, as I would have been teaching anyone in the vehicle with me a few new words.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Does it drain your battery overnight/weekends?

no, my power port is not active if key is not in. It has a power off cycle. Frankly not sure how the g-force thing would work, or if this one even has it.

I may have to look into a dashcam. I'll read up on them a bit, but for initial purposes, are they pretty much set and forget, unless you need to pull the footage due to an event?

Also, I have no idea how there were not a lot of expletives caught on that, as I would have been teaching anyone in the vehicle with me a few new words.

I don't tend to swear. I got this one for Christmas, stuck it on the dash, and haven't touched it until today when I popped the card out and checked. There was always a blinking red light so I assumed it was recording :):

Of course next trip today I had forgotten to put the chip back in. Gotta remember to do that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I almost got someone yesterday, and it would have been totally on me. I had a massive sneeze coming and did the full ahhhh- windup and -choo pitch with the usual eyes forced closed. When I could open my eyes it took me a second to realize traffic was stopped in front of me in the shadow of an overpass. I got stopped about 6' from the dark colored SUV with a trailer ball hitch in front of me. That'd have been embarrassing.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    He was on his brakes hard coming around me. Then he proceeded slowly for a while, like "woah, I about hit that guy". There's a several inch drop off there too. No way he was just trying to pass

BUT, if he was simply passing me, he's much more of an idiot than I gave him credit for. There are huge poles there and there was a car in his way that fortunately turned before he got there

in fact looking again I bet he ramped up that guy wire

Gotcha. Like I said not knowing what you saw in the mirror plus not knowing the intersection it's a bit hard to tell.
    I keep my eyes on my mirrors a lot. It's a habit I developed by riding a motorcycle for many years.
    Happy you're safe.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Due to what I drive for a living, it has become natural to act like I've 3 kilos of pure coke next to me and I'm looking for cops. Eyes are always moving. It can be exhausting at first but over time, it becomes a little easier. But no matter how hard I try, some jackwagon always teaches me a new level of stupidity.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Due to what I drive for a living, it has become natural to act like I've 3 kilos of pure coke next to me and I'm looking for cops. Eyes are always moving. It can be exhausting at first but over time, it becomes a little easier. But no matter how hard I try, some jackwagon always teaches me a new level of stupidity.

I'm the same way when I get stuck in the dumptruck at work, look out the windshield, drivers mirror, windshield, passengers mirror, windshield repeat...

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

For some reason, people seem to think that you guys can stop those massive trucks on a dime....I don't understand why.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    For some reason, people seem to think that you guys can stop those massive trucks on a dime....I don't understand why.

It's almost sad that more of those big trucks don't stop on the idiots that cut in front of them. Make the road alot safer for the rest of us if they weren't still in the gene pool and on the roads.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    It's as if I am paranoid driving anymore due to to the complete lack of consideration and ignorance of people on the road. I would love to smack the **** out of people I see driving while looking down at their cell phone, just ridiculous.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    No they're Eagle Alloy rims. Only had the truck 3 months. My guy is getting it fixed. When I got out and saw the van behind me I knew someone upstairs was watching over all of us. The van got crushed all I got was a love tap. No one seriously hurt. Stay safe.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Glad you're OK. from my experience, I'd put passing in the grass like that even odds averting an accident vs impatient.

Having been the middle car in a 3-car sandwich due to someone not paying attention (my very first car too, a scant 2 months after I got it :() and being a motorcyclist, yea I watch behind as much as in front too.

Top Bottom