• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You don't know how to use the three seashells?

it was a Seychelles joke but it fell flat :D

this will be a photo safari. They say the “big five”. Gonna need a new camera with telephoto lens and a rape whistle I think. Not sure when we’ll go. Flights vary from $800 to $1700 depending on when you go. We’ll try for non rainy season but still cheap flights.

this is the place. We’ll stay at both facilities.

Luxury lodge in Johannesburg and two luxury Safari Game Lodges adjoining Kruger National Park, South Africa, Ocean Front Lodge, near Cape Town ?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    She keeps talking about the seashells over there and how we have to try to see them. Unfortunately we won’t be by the coast. what is so special about African seashells anyway? :dunno:

They are guarded by these guys....:)

Great-white-shark-following-kayak.jpg

Doc here is a live taste of a South African Safari....Have a great time....

[video=youtube;GEIuZVNohUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEIuZVNohUs[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    it was a Seychelles joke but it fell flat :D

this will be a photo safari. They say the “big five”. Gonna need a new camera with telephoto lens and a rape whistle I think. Not sure when we’ll go. Flights vary from $800 to $1700 depending on when you go. We’ll try for non rainy season but still cheap flights.

this is the place. We’ll stay at both facilities.

Luxury lodge in Johannesburg and two luxury Safari Game Lodges adjoining Kruger National Park, South Africa, Ocean Front Lodge, near Cape Town ?

I got it and was going to post a map to make sure that was what you were saying.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Just saw this on Drudge Doc....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5685201/woman-22-killed-by-lion-at-private-game-lodge-in-south-africa/

Woman is killed by lion at game lodge in South Africa | Daily Mail Online

I've heard the Lionesses are the most aggressive of the sexes.....

49A25BD000000578-5440951-image-a-45_1519749467651.jpg

49A2663900000578-5440951-image-a-44_1519749227083.jpg

Tragically, the victim had sustained severe injuries and she died at the scene.'
    He said the Cullinan police were on scene to investigate but was unable to reveal the name of the lodge where the incident occurred.
    According to its website, the reserve is one of the first free roaming parks featuring the 'Big 5' species of African animals - lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo and elephant - 'in Gauteng - and probably in the world – next to an urbanized area'.
    It offers 'self-drive routes' for visitors to view the wildlife that live on the reserve.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A photo safari? That's what I feel like in Chicago. They drop you into the middle of the concrete jungle with no weapons and you have to rescue the president and get out. Wait maybe I'm confusing real life with the movies. I can't remember anymore:)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My Uncle David led African safaris on elephant back, in Botswana I think. He brought African Elephants to the Indy Zoo back in the early 1980's before it moved to it's current location. Before that, zoos in the US only had Asian Elephants since they were more docile, easier to train. He was the zoo's head elephant trainer until about 1997 when he moved to Africa to lead the safari's. Growing up, he always let us in the back of the zoo and we would "play" with the elephants. I have a great fondness to these fantastic beasts. Kind of explains my hatred for anything ivory.

MYV7oIM.jpg

X4wRLxZ.jpg

xnjg5jT.jpg

mO19Prd.jpg

He used to take them out for walks on the White River Trail right behind the zoo until he was yelled at for it.

pkaAgq3.jpg

He was also started the trend of having the elephants paint a picture then auction them off to raise money for the zoo. Most of us who were the closest to him, have a picture they painted for ourselves.

DP4qwwN.jpg

He passed away suddenly in 2016 and my tattoo is in his memory.

cyaoOIb.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks for posting Denny. Your uncle sounds like a heck of a man in many ways.

indilucky I’ll not show my wife that :D

i’ll plan to bring my flashlight with the strike bezel so I should be good to go. Unless TWO lionesses attack, but what are the odds of that? :rofl:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They are guarded by these guys....:)

Great-white-shark-following-kayak.jpg

Doc here is a live taste of a South African Safari....Have a great time....

[video=youtube;GEIuZVNohUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEIuZVNohUs[/video]

It's okay.
    That's just a new disguise they came up with for subs.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I did not read the link, just posted for reference on the topic

i heard their main hospital in SA sees over half a million patients a year in their ER. That’s insane. Number one trauma injury is “stabbed with bicycle spoke”. Beware the guy missing a spoke.

this led to their trauma teams figuring out not all pneumothoraces needed chest tubes and several days in the hospital. They just didn’t have the capacity to treat people that way with how many they saw. So they aspirate the air with a needle and then watch for four hours. If X-ray looks good, home you go

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My Uncle David led African safaris on elephant back, in Botswana I think. He brought African Elephants to the Indy Zoo back in the early 1980's before it moved to it's current location. Before that, zoos in the US only had Asian Elephants since they were more docile, easier to train. He was the zoo's head elephant trainer until about 1997 when he moved to Africa to lead the safari's. Growing up, he always let us in the back of the zoo and we would "play" with the elephants. I have a great fondness to these fantastic beasts. Kind of explains my hatred for anything ivory.He used to take them out for walks on the White River Trail right behind the zoo until he was yelled at for it.

He was also started the trend of having the elephants paint a picture then auction them off to raise money for the zoo. Most of us who were the closest to him, have a picture they painted for ourselves.

He passed away suddenly in 2016 and my tattoo is in his memory.

I remember hearing about him back in the 1980's...IIRC he helped Louisville Zoo when they got their African Elephant....Thanks for sharing...That's a wonderful Uncle...May he RIP....

Top Bottom