• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Oh no doc. Not like this doc. Not like this.

Just think how much crypto or mining equipment or nodes you could have had....

While ur gone there is no doubt u will have an unexpected shut down.

In all seriousness have a great time!!!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But I always hear how these other countries violent crime rates are non existent...

On another note, looking forward to the pics and the stories. Your spring break stories are really good, so I can't imagine the stories from this.

From what I've read, violent crime targeted at tourists is pretty rare in South Africa. It makes sense, tourism is a big cash cow and the government, as corrupt as it is, takes a pretty dim view on those that would attempt to harm that revenue flow. Now, much like certain large cities in the US, there are areas in the larger cities that one should avoid, especially after dark. Out in the rural areas where Doc's game lodge is located he shouldn't have to worry much about two legged predators. Ticks and snakes are the most likely danger he will encounter but only during the warmer months.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    AND.... we backed out of the trip :(

We converted 50% of the bid to a donation to the camp instead. It was adding anxiety to our lives that we don't need. Dang politics.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    AND.... we backed out of the trip :(

We converted 50% of the bid to a donation to the camp instead. It was adding anxiety to our lives that we don't need. Dang politics.

That's too bad. It sounded like a neat opportunity.

What politics impacted you?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

There is far more to the political situation in South Africa than that article makes it seem. Ramaphosa can say he wants to confiscate land to his heart's desire and the lazy and covetous among his constituents may actually be gullible enough to believe that it will happen soon but the reality is that doing so will only serve to empty the trough that he and other politicians in South Africa feed upon. Nor is it not nearly as simple as the article and Ramaphosa make it seem to accomplish either, in fact similar efforts(along with the rampant corruption) by his predecessor, Zuma, contributed to his ouster as president.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There is far more to the political situation in South Africa than that article makes it seem. Ramaphosa can say he wants to confiscate land to his heart's desire and the lazy and covetous among his constituents may actually be gullible enough to believe that it will happen soon but the reality is that doing so will only serve to empty the trough that he and other politicians in South Africa feed upon. Nor is it not nearly as simple as the article and Ramaphosa make it seem to accomplish either, in fact similar efforts(along with the rampant corruption) by his predecessor, Zuma, contributed to his ouster as president.

Nothing is ever as simple as one article can make something seem.

But if recent history in Zimbabwe is any example - this bears watching. Very closely. And it also would keep ME away from S.A. if I were contemplating a trip.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    South Africa farm murders: Jacob Zuma calls for white land to be confiscated

[FONT=&quot]In any other country, such a crime would be almost unthinkable. But in South Africa, these kinds of farm attacks are happening nearly every day. This year so far, there have been more than 70 attacks and around 25 murders in similar attacks on white farmers.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Earlier this month, for example, 64-year-old Nicci Simpson [/FONT]was tortured with a power drill[FONT=&quot] during an attack involving three men at her home on a farm in the Vaal area, about two hours drive from Johannesburg.[/FONT]

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Nothing is ever as simple as one article can make something seem.

But if recent history in Zimbabwe is any example - this bears watching. Very closely. And it also would keep ME away from S.A. if I were contemplating a trip.

It certainly does bear watching. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm traveling to South Africa at the beginning of June and I've been watching the situation closely since I booked the trip two years ago. Currently tourists are as safe in South Africa as they are anywhere else and there is no real reason, at this point, to let fear and sensationalism keep them away.

Statistically, visiting Chicago is less safe than visiting South Africa. especially for tourists in tourist areas.

Attacks on both black and white farmers have been an ongoing problem for years despite the sensationalized reporting like it is a new thing. A lot of people have migrated into South Africa from other African countries in the last decade and with the unemployment rate hovering around 40% some of those people, no doubt egged on by the political rhetoric, have been attacking targets of opportunity. These attackers have no real hope of taking and keeping the farms(and likely no intention of actually working hard enough to make a living at it if they did) but instead intend to cause enough terror to get the other landowners to abandon their farms. They are essentially terrorists and like other terrorists they depend on fear and sensationalism to do most of their work for them. Most people do not realize that the many of farms that were lost in Zimbabwe were not actually forcibly seized but instead were abandoned in fear by their owners. Many other landowners stayed and have kept their farms... so far at least.

Top Bottom