• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    Taking a trip with the wife and kid to Florida this summer, and I plan on carrying the entire way down, especially since we want to stop at a few places in Atlanta where they filmed Walking Dead. The wrench in the works is a side trip to Kennedy Space Center. From checking this map (you'll have to zoom in on your own), it looks like the whole of KSC falls under several layers of federal property which makes leaving it in the car a no go. From my last trip down, there weren't any visible no gun signs/signs of searches. However, I'd not like to test my luck with a federal property, and the website says nothing about it of course.

So in this case, what would be the responsible/safe option to keep my butt out of prison and my guns from being stolen? Put them in the hotel safe (in a separate locked case, of course), keep them in a safe hidden in the room? Anyone else run into this before?

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    If you leave it in the hotel room, put out the do not disturb sign and leave the radio or TV on. I know it isn't much, but any additional level of security can't hurt. You don't need housekeeping seeing some unusual locked box.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I spent 6 weeks in Huntsville, AL for training and had no issues leaving my gun in the safe in my room. Only issue I had with the cleaning lady was her taking a teddy bear that my daughter sent with me to keep me company.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Most hotels either have in room safes, or their own set of safe deposit boxes. I have left my firearm in locked luggage before as well. It is not as secure, perhaps, but unless someone breaks your door down, nobody but staff can get into your room. Put up the DnD, and let the front desk know that you do not want anyone in your room just in case the DnD falls off the door.

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    Why are you assuming all federal property is "no go"?

I don't think that's the case.

And florida recognizes your IN LTCH.

I know FL recognizes my LTCH, and I know not all federal property is a no-go. But we're not talking about a NWR or National Park. This could be NASA/DoD property for all I know, and I'd rather not be a test case on my vacation.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Try this. It's from the faq on their website. I have no idea what the answer is. But I'm thinking if it were no, they would have just said so.

Kennedy Space Center have a gun club?
    A. For information, please contact the KARS 1 park manager,

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I just sent an inquiry by PM to a guy on another board whose job is NASA Safety Emergency Preparedness Manager @ KSC. I'll let you know what he says.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Taking a trip with the wife and kid to Florida this summer, and I plan on carrying the entire way down, especially since we want to stop at a few places in Atlanta where they filmed Walking Dead. The wrench in the works is a side trip to Kennedy Space Center. From checking this map (you'll have to zoom in on your own), it looks like the whole of KSC falls under several layers of federal property which makes leaving it in the car a no go. From my last trip down, there weren't any visible no gun signs/signs of searches. However, I'd not like to test my luck with a federal property, and the website says nothing about it of course.

So in this case, what would be the responsible/safe option to keep my butt out of prison and my guns from being stolen? Put them in the hotel safe (in a separate locked case, of course), keep them in a safe hidden in the room? Anyone else run into this before?

I travel to federal facilities for work very frequently, so I often find myself in the same predicament. My suggestion is staying at a Hilton. They always have room safes that allow you to select your own pin number. Not the most secure safes in the world, but reasonable to lock up a side arm for the day.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Most hotels either have in room safes, or their own set of safe deposit boxes.

This ^^^^^

I have stored valuables, including handgun, in room safes many times at different motels/hotels with no problems. When preparing to travel, I always ask if they have in-room safes when I make reservations.

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    I just sent an inquiry by PM to a guy on another board whose job is NASA Safety Emergency Preparedness Manager @ KSC. I'll let you know what he says.

That's awesome, thanks for that. And the hotel I'm planning on staying at (stayed there last year and it was pretty nice) has safe deposit boxes, so that should work out. Call me paranoid about the whole thing, I guess. Might make KSC the last thing we do that week before leaving, that way it's known for the least amount of time.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That's awesome, thanks for that. And the hotel I'm planning on staying at (stayed there last year and it was pretty nice) has safe deposit boxes, so that should work out. Call me paranoid about the whole thing, I guess. Might make KSC the last thing we do that week before leaving, that way it's known for the least amount of time.

My guy at KSC says guns are not permitted on the property.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I had a friend go on a cruise, which was a not go with the firearm. He found a gunsmith that would clean his firearm and hold it until he got off the boat. Best cleaning his firearm ever received. Just a thought.

Top Bottom