• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    A couple years ago I did a tour for our car club (Lafayette Indiana Historic Auto Club, lihac.com) of several bridges in Carroll county. We visited the Lancaster (Beard) covered bridge, Xenia Iron bridge, and Adams Mill covered bridge and mill (we lucked out the mill was open for tours that day). I have a MS Word document of the tour, I can also make it a PDF, not sure how to share it with anyone though. If you PM me your email address I can send either to you. The tour starts at Fairfield Lakes east of Lafayette and ends at Dog N Suds in West Lafayette.

Tim.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    the covered bridge in Bridgeton was destroyed by arson in 2004 or 2005. Some wondered if it would be replaced, how long it would take, how much it would cost and if the state would do it. Not even days after the fire, people were calling mike at the mill donating services, trees, or money. There was no bridge for the covered bridge festival in 2005. In 2006, there was a mostly completed bridge where the old one stood. The abudments were rebuilt also. The total cash cost not including donated materials and services (tree harvesters, portable mills to cut trees, etc) was around 300k. If the state had done it, it might not had gotten done or been years and millions of dollars.

if you want a good read, mike has a book he sells talking about the 14 miracles to save the mill (everything from buying the mill to the fire to rebuilding the dam).

I could not believe how quickly they replaced that bridge. I may have to grab a copy of that book. That's a great story and it tells just how much that bridge means to everyone.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I don't have a picture of it, and it wasn't in a scenic area, but the nine-span bridge in Hammond was a neat one.

ETA, grabbed a pic
    jtmC3B4.jpg

Last edited:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I've spent a considerable amount of time around, in and over the Huffman Mills Bridge on the Anderson River which is located on the Perry County/Spencer County line near the almost ghost town of Huffman. My Father grew up on a farm less than a mile away which is now owned by a cousin.

Huffman Mill Bridge.jpg

Huffman Mill Bridge Plaque.jpg

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    There was a covered bridge on 86th street between Lafayette Road and the I65 bridge across the creek at the bottom of the hill just west of Lafayette Road. I remember crossing it many times until a large truck tried to cross and it collapsed. I believe it was moved to private property and can still be seen if you look to the south just west of the I65 bridge while on 86th street. The bridge is at the bottom of the hill. If you go on Google maps and locate the bridge on 86th crossing I65 you can the see the top of the covered bridge identified as the " Traders Point Covered Bridge". Someone mentioned McCloud Park south of North Salem. An old iron bridge was moved to the park and installed across the creek a few years ago. It was refurbished and is really a great addition to the park. Sorry, I don't have pictures of either.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A thread after my own heart. My dad worked in bridge construction his entire life. He was the go to guy for covered bridges on the West part of the state and had an amazing ability to understand the forces involved and how to refurbish them. He built a covered bridge literally by hand out of spare parts from bridge projects he had been on in his back yard. I'll have to find pics and get them later but it was a fully functional bridge, over the creek in the back yard that we confidently drove vehicles and tractors through. He also has a cutaway scale model of a 2 span arch style covered bridge he made to help explain to the engineers how one of the bigger projects had to be done. Bridge appreciation and construction was dinner conversation at our house.
    He's still alive, been retired for many years but can still do trigonometry in his head faster than most people can work equations with a calculator. His coworkers would sometimes dump a box of toothpicks out and ask him how many were still in the box to poke fun. (Rainman reference joke).

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    This is the Narrows Covered Bridge over Sugar Creek on the edge of Turkey Run state park.

bridge2.jpg

This is the CCC Stone Arch Bridge over McCormick's Creek in McCormick's Creek State park.

bridge1.jpg

Took these a couple of years ago while camping and hiking at these state parks. Would probably be at one them camping right now... but... oh, well......

Ron

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    View attachment 86600

I had a guide on Sugar Creek out west of Crawfordsville last week. I don't know what road spans the creek, but it was a cool bridge.

I believe that is the Jim Davis Bridge over Sugar Creek, on County Road 600W. I just google mapped it, as it's been a couple of years since I've been out there, and it looks like they've renamed that section of 600W "Davis Bridge Road." Go figure. :):

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County

I've been over that bridge on our Ranger. There is another iron bridge close to it. We took a ride up to the Azalea Path today and went past the Wheeling covered bridge (one of only two left in Gibson County). It's a nice side by side ride to hit Wheeling and the two iron bridges over the Patoka.

Wheeling covered bridge (not my picture).
    399451-M.jpg

grandpa 55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Bargersville
    I have plenty of memories of a covered bridge that as a kid in the early 70's and late 60's. Dad grew up in Coal Bluff outside of Terre Haute. There was a covered bridge over Little Raccon that we would tent camp on a sand bar under it. The whole family grandpa, grandma, little brother, mom and dad would stay there. One night there was a storm that caused the creek to rise so we had to move the camp by coleman lantern light Remember helping carry every thing back across the creek as it was raining and all the laughs as everyone struggled.

Top Bottom