• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    wow. i did not mention, i am very cheap. it seems like a fun project if i get the kit for 200. i really like these weapons, but for 7500. not so much.
    hell it is probably to advanced for me anyway. thanks for the info.

Well, as explained earlier, getting a Class III weapon is expensive due to supply & demand. There are very limited numbers of legal weapons out there and a lot of people who would like to own them. I think $7k is about as cheap as you are going to find.

And don't ever listen to someone who tells you to build one on your own. The Feds take that VERY seriously and they will find out.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Well, as explained earlier, getting a Class III weapon is expensive due to supply & demand. There are very limited numbers of legal weapons out there and a lot of people who would like to own them. I think $7k is about as cheap as you are going to find.

And don't ever listen to someone who tells you to build one on your own. The Feds take that VERY seriously and they will find out.
    first the machine gun thing is just a thought. i would prefer semi auto anyway. a full auto would just be fun to try sometime in my life. a semi auto would be much more fun in the long run. i was just wondering how hard would it be to build a semi auto version of it. the machine gun question is because i just wanted to understand the law a little better. i am rather ignorant on the subject. is it possible to take a parts kit and put it back together legally?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    were do i get one.

If your referring to the book, I bought mine off amazon.

Here:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Projects-Shotgun-News-Staff/dp/1934622540/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328580199&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Gunsmithing Projects (9781934622544): Shotgun News Staff, Robert W Hunnicutt: Books[/ame]

wow. i did not mention, i am very cheap. it seems like a fun project if i get the kit for 200. i really like these weapons, but for 7500. not so much.
    hell it is probably to advanced for me anyway. thanks for the info.

If I remember right, building one as a semi-auto does require some lathe and milling work. And unless your going to add a 16" barrel, you Form 1 for SBR would have to be completed and approved before you finish the build.

If you dont have access to to the machines to do the work, you'd probably just be better off buying the one from atlanticfireams that was posted earlier.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    first the machine gun thing is just a thought. i would prefer semi auto anyway. a full auto would just be fun to try sometime in my life. a semi auto would be much more fun in the long run. i was just wondering how hard would it be to build a semi auto version of it. the machine gun question is because i just wanted to understand the law a little better. i am rather ignorant on the subject. is it possible to take a parts kit and put it back together legally?

Keep your eyes open on INGO around June or July. In September or thereabouts, we've had a little thing we like to call NFA Day. :cool:

If you don't want to wait, some ranges have F/A firearms available for rental. One that I know of is Applied Ballistics, an INGO Advertising Supporter located in Lafayette.

Hope that helps! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Keep your eyes open on INGO around June or July. In September or thereabouts, we've had a little thing we like to call NFA Day. :cool:

If you don't want to wait, some ranges have F/A firearms available for rental. One that I know of is Applied Ballistics, an INGO Advertising Supporter located in Lafayette.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I would wait if I were you, because if you decide to try out a F/A at a range then, "You've already experienced NFA firearms" and that disqualifies you from attending NFA day...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston

Blessings,
    Bill
    We have a silencer and machine gun shoot coming up April 14!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would wait if I were you, because if you decide to try out a F/A at a range then, "You've already experienced NFA firearms" and that disqualifies you from attending NFA day...

I don't think that's quite right. To be eligible for the NFA newbie day, you can not have bought, or in the process of buying a NFA weapon. Purely trying one out doesn't eliminate you.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    If you wish to build a semi auto PPSH-41 have to use or build a receiver and modify certain key parts so they will not take a full auto part and/or the reverse. Check the various BATFE rullings / options on this particular firearm. Lots of good info can be found by doing a Google search on Semi Auto PPSH-41. The easier option is to purchase a semi PPSH-41, however, you most likely would be better off to spend a grand or two on a nice AR15 or HK clone and even with the lower ammo cost, still be money ahead.

A few links to get you started:
    TNW Firearms, Inc. Manufacturers of the semi-auto 1919, M2HB and MG34.

For those thinking about the semi PPSH-41 build

Wise Lite Arms PPSh-41

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I don't think that's quite right. To be eligible for the NFA newbie day, you can not have bought, or in the process of buying a NFA weapon. Purely trying one out doesn't eliminate you.

^^^ This.

NFA Day is for people who are not currently in the process of making or transferring their own NFA item. Its intent is to educate the NFA newbie regarding the field as well as the process. If you already own something (or have paperwork in process), then you're no longer a newbie to it. Merely having touched or seen NFA will not disqualify you.

It's unfortunate that we can't get more people to NFA Day, but our range space and resources are limited. I'm not one of the planners, but I know that finding a larger facility that will serve their purposes is something that's been on the table for review. There is also NFA Alumni Day, and I can foresee a time when it will be opened up not to just NFA Day alums, but to anyone with NFA experience.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    ^^^ This.

NFA Day is for people who are not currently in the process of making or transferring their own NFA item. Its intent is to educate the NFA newbie regarding the field as well as the process. If you already own something (or have paperwork in process), then you're no longer a newbie to it. Merely having touched or seen NFA will not disqualify you.

It's unfortunate that we can't get more people to NFA Day, but our range space and resources are limited. I'm not one of the planners, but I know that finding a larger facility that will serve their purposes is something that's been on the table for review. There is also NFA Alumni Day, and I can foresee a time when it will be opened up not to just NFA Day alums, but to anyone with NFA experience.

Could do a INGO day at KCR during the summer.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Could do a INGO day at KCR during the summer.
    ok guys i have been reading thousands of post. but i must still be a noobie, KCR. please for the love of everybody who does not automatically know what all of these stand for, spell it out.
    i have seen thousands of abbrevitions on this forum, and kept my mouth shut so as to not sound like an idiot. i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ok guys i have been reading thousands of post. but i must still be a noobie, KCR. please for the love of everybody who does not automatically know what all of these stand for, spell it out.
    i have seen thousands of abbrevitions on this forum, and kept my mouth shut so as to not sound like an idiot. i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

KCR is Knob Creek Range.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond

Just ask as is a little bit of alphabet soup ;-).

KCR is private range that allow shooting rifles, machine guns and cannon on the main range, which is a nominal 360 yards long (depending on were on the hill side you stop shooting), except for the the second weekend of April and October, when a larger machine gun shoot and show is in progress (cancelled spring of this year due to bridge repairs and the fact the KCR is WET in the spring ;-).

The advantage is everyone can show up, pay their daily range fee ($5 to $7 per day per person in the past) and we can shoot for the day. Minimal planning and maximum fun. Knob Creek Gun Range | Kentucky Shooting range | Gun Dealers | Gun Sales | Firing range | Firearm training

Since this is in Kentucky, mere mortals (i.e. everything but FFL/SOTs and Manufactures) with Tittle 2 firearms (incorrectly called Class 3, which is a dealer/FFL thing) will need to fill out a BATFE 53202.20 well in advance for the entire year is best, excluding AOW's and Suppressors.

A few photos from an informal shoot in the past (BYOC ... bring your own car).

zoltan1.jpg

hits_and_burn.jpg

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Cheap and machinegun do NOT go together! :)

That all depends on your definition of "cheap"!

A $7500 PPSH is "eh" on price.

You can find $4-5-6K machine guns out there; one of the lesser expensive ones being the Ruger AC-556. It is, essentially, an automatic Ruger Mini14.

Some of the "Mac" machine guns are in that price range, too.

As are the S&W Model 76 SMG

But even these are creeping up in price...and will continue to do so.

That's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, though. You can spend as much as you have on just ONE MG if you try hard enough.

-J-

Top Bottom