• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    KCR is also a good place to shoot on the other 50 weeks of the year, with a bunch of guys at one time (at least until you see who can hit the dirt and who puts the fear of god into the birds over head ;-)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...You can spend as much as you have on just ONE MG if you try hard enough.

-J-

For some of us, that wouldn't take much!

coin20in20hand.jpg

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    actually something i forgot to ask, i was told by a class 3 dealer that a civilian could own a full auto with the correct paper work and tax stamps, of course it is expensive though. mabye i am missing something, i have been considering saving up for a class 3 firearm lately but i am not quite sure the expense is worth it yet or not.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    actually something i forgot to ask, i was told by a class 3 dealer that a civilian could own a full auto with the correct paper work and tax stamps, of course it is expensive though. mabye i am missing something, i have been considering saving up for a class 3 firearm lately but i am not quite sure the expense is worth it yet or not.

You heard right. With the correct paperwork, tax stamps, and a registered item you can purchase and go through the process of owning your very own class 3 item.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    You heard right. With the correct paperwork, tax stamps, and a registered item you can purchase and go through the process of owning your very own class 3 item.

mjrducky is spot on and if anyone wishes more information would check the INDGO NFA FAQ for details.

A short version of obtaining a machine guns is as follows:

Anyone that can purchase a pistol from a FFL in Indiana, can in general obtain a machine gun. It is harder if you local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) will not sign off on the paper work.

To obtain a machine gun, one finds a seller, fills out the paper work (Form 4 two copies with your photo), gets the CLEO to sign off, gets two sets of finger print cards made, has the seller finish signing (if he has not already) and then the paper work (including one more paper where you state that you are citizen of the US) is mailed with a $200 check. After about a half year the seller gets one copy of the approved Form 4 back (other kept by BATFE), you pick up the machine gun and the Form 4. Now you are the owner until such time as you repeat the process to sell the machine gun. Note you can't loan the machine gun to anyone else, and if they shoot it, you need to be present. In general you need to keep "control" of the machine gun (i.e. not required but a safe is always a good idea ;-).

The resisted part of the machine gun maybe the receiver (i.e. a M16 lower), a conversion device (i.e. an HK sear*, a registered bolt for an Uzi) or some combination of receiver and conversion devices.

The reason the price on machine guns is so high is that since May of 1986 no new machine guns for private civilian use can be manufactured (aka transferable machine guns), thus the cost continues to go up most years. In the early 90's an HK registered sear* was $400 plus the $200 stamp, now days you need to have $12,000 more or less to purchase (yes that is twelve grand or a little less than a new compact car). The lowest cost machine guns have tended to be the various MAC 11 and MAC 10 sub machine guns (still a machine gun legally but shoot a pistol round) for $3000 (plus or minus) and the Sten for $4000 plus or minus.

Photo of HK Conversion Device (aka Sear):
    autosear_top_v2_small.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom