How comfortable with the AR platform are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Well, How comfortable are you?

• Total voters

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have shot an AR many times, I am very familiar with the platform. I sold mine years ago, I not sure if I really want to get back into the AR again. It is an expensive gun to buy new, building one is a little cheaper, and feeding it is absurd. I think I'll stick to bolt actions and pistols.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I owned an AR once. I enjoyed fitting it out with all the neat add-on's that fit my taste but alas the platform just never felt "right" to me so I sold it to a friend. Maybe just old school but I like the feel of some good "wood" in your hands!

Probably the main reason I switched over to the M1A:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have the Armalite 10-4 now. I traded for two consecutive ser #s new in box's and a Carbon 15 in 9mm maybe 2 years ago. My best friend wanted one of the 10-4s and the 9mm.
    I wasn't enthused at all about another AR after my experience with them in the late 60's. I hadn't fired or even held one since then until the 10-4s.
    Ok, I had to fire the 10 so i took it out in the back field and set up 50yds and it was dead on. Moved out to 200, 300, 400. It stayed where I set it. That was the first mag.
    I fell in love with it and now have a couple of thousand rounds through the stock gun. It's never had a hickup and maybe 3 flyers out of all the rounds cycled.
    I'm doing my first build as I'm picking up a lower this weekend.
    Fourty years + now and I'm giving the 5.56 another chance to win me over.
    I'm still a .308 fan but I do have a good supply of 556 and 223 I was given by a buddy that recently passed.
    I guess we'll see if the newer versions can erase some bad memories of the original M16 use.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I voted every nook & cranny as I've been shooting them since the late 80's, but much like Spinal above, my "bump in the night" gun is & always will be a shotgun.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My first actual firearm was an AR back in the 80's, with mostly M16A1 internals. I'm an engineer, not so much by training as by DNA, so I obsess with how things work. I can take an AR down to the parts level, or build one up, and I understand the operation implicitly, either Colt AR-15 type, or Colt M16A1/A2 type. Or M4. There are inevitably subtleties yet to learn, but no mysteries to me. It may interest you to know, the original Armalite AR-10 was the predecessor to the original AR-15. I've held one in my hands. It was 7.62x51 and the charging handle was a trigger shaped thing in the carrying handle. The original Armalite AR-15 was select fire and much superior to the DOD sourced Colt XM16. The new AR-10 is retroengineered from the Colt type AR-15. Sorry to wander off like that.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only part I've not taken apart is the bolt carrier group. Looks simple enough, just never felt the need to.

Probably should get some spares sometime and keep them in the grip.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Built my LTM/Larue/Aimpoint setup in 06', took a couple classes, then sold almost all of my other stuff... I will likely build a Novesk based SBR in the next couple years. Hopefully get back to classes and competition shooting again after having taken a couple year off.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Just put the scope on my Spikes lower, Red X 20" bull upper AR, and bore sighted it today, can't wait to start sending rounds down range. I cleaned a LOT of M16A1's before i went to basic training for the Army, my recruiter was at the national guard armory. I would take them down and clean them every weekend while i was waiting to ship out. Didn't like the irons at first, now i prefer them, the smaller the aperture the better.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yes, of course you are right. I have plenty of bolt guns and one of them is my first choice while watching TV. I like working the bolt and getting the dry fire shot off before the image fades away on the screen. It is calming to work the bolt on a rifle hundreds of times in an evening. My favorite is an old Remington 721 chambered in 270. Silky smooth with a great trigger.

I wonder if anyone reading this thinks I am weird. Oh well...Lets just keep this a secret between us.

But from a practical field standpoint, the AR platform will easily do the job of any bolt gun. And that has become a reality with the development of the AR10 platform in addition to the AR15.

Hey don't feel lonely. Glad I am not the only one that thinks like you do. I somehow let a 721 that I had built get away years ago. Man I wish I still had the thing!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've been tempted...but so far I like my money better. They are so dang expensive and aren't much good for anything(for me) other than an expensive range toy. I could have 2-3 more accurate guns than a decent AR for the same price.

So for now I'll stick with my CAR(Cowboy Assault Rifle)....Marlin 1894C 44 mag.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have one and call me a simpleton but still prefer and shoot my AK74 better
    Im a simple man who like simple things there just to fancy

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Currently own 3 AR-15s. Have built up several, over the past couple of years. Shot my first one in Basic in 1979. My Colt 6940 is my go-to rifle if the zombies ever attack.

Top Bottom