• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Hello, and thanks to all who have given advice in my post about which bullpup rifle I should get. After WAY too much thought and consideration in the last couple days, I have set my sights on the SGWorks SKS bullpup stock. On my budget, I just don't think this option can be beat.

I only have one problem, which is how to go about acquiring an SKS. All I know is that I want the highest quality standard rifle configuration. I also want the 10 round internal magazine to start out with (I like the idea of stripper clips for some reason). I've also read that chrome-lined is a must, but I have no idea why or what manufacturers used it. :n00b:

Knowing that, what SKS would you all recommend?

Also, what is the best way for me to go about purchasing one?
    I understand that some must be made compliant (some have a grenade launcher?), but I don't exactly know how to do that. I plan on going to the Indy 1500 in June, so I have a decent amount of time to figure out what I want. If I can get one there it would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you all have. I don't know what I'd do without INGO. :ingo:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    There are no SKS's sold that have a grenade launcher. The Yugos have the grenade launcher attachment and an adjustable gas valve that is used for grenade launching. You just have to make sure the gas valve is closed when you shoot it. If not, the bolt won't move after you fire a round, it will just kind of crack open and you'll be left scratching your head trying to figure out why the heck my rifle won't eject an empty casing.

As far as compliancy, the SKSs are compliant in their original configuration when you buy them from an FFL. Once you start to add the tacticool stuff is when you have to meet the 922r standards.

The Yugos are plentiful, inexpensive and reliable but if your wanting an SKS and have the money, go original and try to find a Russian.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    ""All I know is that I want the highest quality standard rifle configuration""

I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you.

I own SKS rifles, I love SKS rifles, I have given away SKS rifles to family members who need a rifle. They all work flawlessly as long as you keep them stock.

If you change them to something else, you will probably have to tinker with them to make them work.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    After owning both the Yugo and Norinco. The Norinco feels lighter to carry. After checking the specs. The Norinco is lighter by four pounds. Besides if you are looking for a chrome lined bore SKS. Then DON'T go with the Yugo. The country of Yugo. had no Chrome depsoits to make those rife Chrome lined. Sorry kb66. I am with you on how well the yugo is made with the grenade launcher. The yugo is a neat rifle "History wised" to own. Sorry just my two cents.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    You've made a good choice. Like the guys said above don't buy a Yugo.
    There are a lot of Chinese SKS's around. Chrome lined bore and solid performers.
    The man above who spoke of not tampering with an SKS knows what he's talking about. Get an original and leave it be.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Even though the Yugo is not chrome lined, with proper cleaning especially with corrosive ammo they are not so bad. Love my Yugo, I just wouldn't buy one of their cars.:D

I put about 100 rounds down the barrel today. Good stuff. With that said, I still want a Russian and Norinco.

As far as getting 1, watch the shops close to you, ask them to call if they get one or if they can order 1. Also watch :ingo: classifieds. Thats where I found mine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Even though the Yugo is not chrome lined, with proper cleaning especially with corrosive ammo they are not so bad. Love my Yugo, I just wouldn't buy one of their cars.:D

I put about 100 rounds down the barrel today. Good stuff. With that said, I still want a Russian and Norinco.

As far as getting 1, watch the shops close to you, ask them to call if they get one or if they can order 1. Also watch :ingo: classifieds. Thats where I found mine.

Or become one of my nephews, I would give you one if you tell me a sad story and I kinda like you.....:D

I also wish I Owned a genuwine Russian......

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

I own SKS rifles, I love SKS rifles, I have given away SKS rifles to family members who need a rifle. They all work flawlessly as long as you keep them stock.

If you change them to something else, you will probably have to tinker with them to make them work.

But after you tinker with them...man are they sweet! ;D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't let the lack of chrome-lining deter you from a Yugo if you want one. People used such guns for decades with corrosive primers and did just fine (with proper maint. of course). And, the SKS system isn't finicky to the point of needing the chrome to function. The Mosins that are all the rage these days don't have a chrome-lined bore either.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    The beauty of the rifle is that it will work without tinkering with them. It is utterly, totally reliable until you start to change them.

I'm old though, and kinda set in my ways. I don't like surprizes.

And thats fine but I was on a budget and had a machine shop at my disposal. new stock, milled doen bolt carrier..works great with mag changes, accurate, reliable and still rugged like the stock counterparts. :D

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven

You've made a good choice. Like the guys said above don't buy a Yugo.
    There are a lot of Chinese SKS's around. Chrome lined bore and solid performers.
    The man above who spoke of not tampering with an SKS knows what he's talking about. Get an original and leave it be.

As far as I know, the only modification is the removal of the rear leaf sight. That argument is only as valid as it is on any other gun you change the stock on. I won't be doing any modifying of the machine itself, just the base that carries it.

That said, I will take your word and be wary of doing any other modifications than the stock.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ive had a yugo for a long time ive never had any problems. About the chrome lined barrels IMO they help alot in hot damp climates but I doubt we have jungles like that in indiana. if you keep your sks clean you will never have any problems most of the com bloc corrosive surplus ammo has dried up except some Chinese ammo if you buy wolf ammo they say its non corrosive but you always treat all ammo as its corrosive so you should always keep it clean. When you start adding accessories they do loose alot of there reliability mostly because of the aftermarket magazines and as they come puting optics on it really isnt gonna do anything if you replace the receiver top cause it moves you can do it as a scout setup if you buy a quality mount.

A word on the M69/66 (Yugo SKS) they are heavy compared to the other SKSs the reason for this is the country didnt have the wide resources available like Russia and China/Norinco did so the guns were built stronger to last longer and because of this the actual Yugo made ammo was a hotter load. They didnt have natural chromium deposits hence the lack of a chrome lined barrel they have a NATO spec rifle grenade launcher but it can be removed via the snap rings. They have a folding thick blade type bayonet the Chinese SKSs have a thin spike type and I do not believe the Russian or Albanian SKs had attached bayonets. the difference between a 59/66 and 59/66A1 is the A1 had flip up night sights and they can be either a white paint or tritium. The Yugo stocks are comfortable for Americans when compared to other com bloc weapons. That extra little weight actually makes the rifle have little to no recoil. The gas valve is the only tricky part cause it has to be switched over just right or it will lead to frustration at the range. they have a little flap on the stock to store a small cleaning kit and there is a cleaning rod under the barrel. Normal sks front sight tools dont work unless you drill a slightly bigger hole in the top of the front sight hood. I know what stock your talking about but with the luck ive had with accessorzing its better to keep them stock and beware of the the cheap stripper clips they bind up alot atleast in the big bag I bought try to find some of the plain steel ones they cost a bit more but they are worth it. IMO a bullpup stock on a SKS would make it awkward to load and cock if you have to reload in the heat of a time you need it you gotta ask yourself do you have the process of flipping that little lid open feed a clip into the top back of the gun with your left hand up and over the top while holding it with your right hand cocking it with your left hand and then bringing it back to your shoulder to fire. Most not converted (real) bullpups have the cocking arm on the left side of the weapon for a reason. With the price most FFL dealers will charge you and shipping and cost of the rifle what about just paying an extra 50 to 100 bucks for a Romanian AK most SKSs cost just a tad less than an AK if bullpup is your thing they do make bullpup stocks for AKs thats just my :twocents:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Easiest way

1)Go to gun store
    2)Look for SKS in gun store
    3)If gun store has SKS, continue to step 4, if not, return to step 1
    4)Buy SKS

Congratulations, you just got an SKS.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Changing the stock is purely cosmetic in my opinion although having it adjustable is nice. Replaced the trigger spring and also put a spring loadd firing pin in, and with proper machining you can mill down the bolt carrier so you can insert mags with the bolt closed, works like a charm...now I just need those tech sights.

Top Bottom