• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When the risk to myself is low/manageable. I've talked to SEVERAL people about shooting (and this forum) at work. But, that was after I knew them (and their intentions) well. In mixed company, I stick to "safe" topics (like TPS Reports).

Outside of work? Anyone who knows me at all knows I carry, and can likely guess at my political leanings (though, I tend to surprise folks). I have no issue sharing my point of view, and helping folks wake up a bit.

Damn. Reminds me that I left my TPS report on my desk in storage room B. More of a table, really. Anyone have my stapler? Seems to be missing.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If we never discuss the issue because it's inconvenient or because we ASSume the others are incorrigible in their position, how can we expect anybody's opinion to change? The idea that firearms are a taboo subject is just foreign to me. Would we remain so passive about the denial of due process? Or the prohibition to practice our religion as we see fit? We stand up for so many other "rights" in this country without a second thought. And then we wonder why it's so hard to get traction in the protection of a right that is kept in the closet. :dunno:
    AH, I see....and certainly agree.

I don't drop it personally. Any opportunity that comes up I take it to engage people in discussion and try to educate. Once in a while there is not enough time to make a significant difference, but they are rather few and far between for me. Having been targeted by some local thugs more than once in my life growing up, the principles of gun ownership and defense are the most important to me (along with individual liberty all together.) I don't allow emotional response to deter me in my efforts, no matter the circumstance.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    And I'm just the opposite. I never even start trying to get anyone to agree on anything we disagree on. It's futile, IMO, and only causes hard feelings.
    It's anything but futile. I've converted dozens and dozens of people simply through discussion. Not everybody has the right mixture of patience and necessary skills to be successful with a lot of people, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Hard feelings are only developed by the ones who are too emotionally sensitive to have a rational conversation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's anything but futile. I've converted dozens and dozens of people simply through discussion. Not everybody has the right mixture of patience and necessary skills to be successful with a lot of people, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Hard feelings are only developed by the ones who are too emotionally sensitive to have a rational conversation.

Rep. inbound.

If one pays attention it is obvious how rational someone is in just a few minutes of conversation.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Precisely.
    But you won't know where they stand unless you strike up the conversation. No one is arguing that there isn't a subset of the population that refuses to engage. Just that not everybody does so, and with the right approach, hearts and minds can be influenced to choose freedom over fear.

I blame the government schools for the foundation of this fear though. A curriculum of revisionist history and social indoctrination is doing a fine job of creating the useful idiots for the the "utopian" future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Long story short....Wifes life long friend was totally anti-gun ownership for citizens.
    She was rational just set in her ways even after many good conversations on the subject.
    Not long ago she was mugged and got beat up.
    recently she approached us about self defense.
    My son took her downtown and walked her through the process for LTCH.
    Yesterday we spent a lot of time working with her on pistol selection and skills.
    If the weather lightens up we are going again today.
    She will start force on force with us this weekend.

Sometimes it takes more than words.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Oh, I've tried to have conversations. What I find (at least in my workplace, where I spend the most time) is that usually everyone is so polarized that it is impossible to have a rational discussion.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Long story short....Wifes life long friend was totally anti-gun ownership for citizens.
    She was rational just set in her ways even after many good conversations on the subject.
    Not long ago she was mugged and got beat up.
    recently she approached us about self defense.
    My son took her downtown and walked her through the process for LTCH.
    Yesterday we spent a lot of time working with her on pistol selection and skills.
    If the weather lightens up we are going again today.
    She will start force on force with us this weekend.

Sometimes it takes more than words.

ChurchMouse is right.
    We need to start beating the crap out of these Libs until they realize that they need guns. :bat:

Wait.....
    That actually sounded much better in my head. :n00b:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh, I've tried to have conversations. What I find (at least in my workplace, where I spend the most time) is that usually everyone is so polarized that it is impossible to have a rational discussion.
    Do I hear beeping? Are those back-up warning sounds I hear?

Okay, so you may not be back-pedaling, but you have admitted to giving up. Which is fine. I don't think your job is to worry about anybody but yourself. Wanna know a secret though? When I joined several moons ago, I held a different set of beliefs that I do now. And ask anyone here how stubborn and committed I am. ;) Point is, it was directly because I was constantly subjected to the harassment of the truth that I changed. I'm not really going to drag this thread up and point the finger at you if we get another round of legislation aimed at targeting law-abiding citizens. But at some point you have to ask yourself if the comfort of avoiding a potentially dicey conversation is worth the risk.

Your life, your choice. Just some food for thought.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    If it were me I would just stay focused on my goal which is to become a therapist. You cannot always reason with people nor change their way of thinking. After you complete your course you will not have to associate yourself with them again so why make it harder on yourself than need be. I have to ignore many people who do not share my views all the time. I consider it a blessing to be able to have the gift of ignoring. Focus on your goal.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have a black belt in selective listening,just ask my wife.
    I never broach the subject of personal protection with anyone at work. If the subject comes up,I wont shy away from it.
    Every one knows that I shoot competively,well I shoot,I'm not all that competitive. Over the last few years,with gun bans and shootings in the news,I have become the office got to guy for firearms info. This has led to a few passionate lunch time discussions and a couple of staunch gun banners now have their LTCH's. A few others have gotten training.
    Some folks will never change their mind on this issue,some will. The trick that I haven't figured out is how to tell the difference with out talking about it.

Top Bottom