• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    They`re pretty cool about it they know times and $`s hard!

Yes...At least in my/our experience.

Braking is done by the driver of the TOWED Vehicle...
    Accelerating of course is being fone by only the TOWING Vehicle...

The trick is for the Driver of the TOWED Vehicle to keep the Rope, Chain, Strap, etc, etc... tight...

Exactly this...I had to pull over and RE-explain this to the person being towed. After that, it was smooth sailing.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The tester at autozone uses a starter draw test. So if the starter will not turn over they wont be able to test it on the truck. You will have to take it off. Being a ford truck there will be a solenoid for the starter on the fender well( you will see it by following the positive+ battery cable and see were it goes what its attached to will be the solenoid) then there will be another cable that goes down to the starter on the other side of the solenoid.

You may just try a new solenoid first, they are netorious for going out on fords. Cheap enough to try an it would narrow the search down. They can be jumped with a screwdriver but not recomeneded if you have never did it before as been said.
    "Unless you have one of the 4.2l, 4.6l, 5.4l then the solenoid is mounted to the starter" If it is the same principle can be used on the starter mounted solenoid also, just more of a pain to get to)
    Here is what it should look like, if you want to try you jump the two large copper te

rminals on the top with a heavy screwdriver (BUT BE CARFULL IT WILL SPARK) Hope this helps
    fordsolinoid.jpg

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    just a thought. but you said it is a 98 if you are still on you original battery the most likely culprit will be the battery going bad. They typically last 5 years. I would start by taking it out and going to autozone. Your battery will still have voltage and be able to power the electronics. stereo, gauges, etc even if it doesn't have enough power to start the vehicle.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    just a thought. but you said it is a 98 if you are still on you original battery the most likely culprit will be the battery going bad. They typically last 5 years. I would start by taking it out and going to autozone. Your battery will still have voltage and be able to power the electronics. stereo, gauges, etc even if it doesn't have enough power to start the vehicle.

I already had them test the battery, and it is still good to go.

Methinks I shall try jumping the solenoid and see if that works. Thanks all for your help.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    The tester at autozone uses a starter draw test. So if the starter will not turn over they wont be able to test it on the truck. You will have to take it off. Being a ford truck there will be a solenoid for the starter on the fender well( you will see it by following the positive+ battery cable and see were it goes what its attached to will be the solenoid) then there will be another cable that goes down to the starter on the other side of the solenoid.

You may just try a new solenoid first, they are netorious for going out on fords. Cheap enough to try an it would narrow the search down. They can be jumped with a screwdriver but not recomeneded if you have never did it Galaxie 5before as been said.
    "Unless you have one of the 4.2l, 4.6l, 5.4l then the solenoid is mounted to the starter" If it is the same principle can be used on the starter mounted solenoid also, just more of a pain to get to)
    Here is what it should look like, if you want to try you jump the two large copper te

rminals on the top with a heavy screwdriver (BUT BE CARFULL IT WILL SPARK) Hope this helps
    fordsolinoid.jpg

My first car 35 years ago was a 1970 Galaxie 500. I had to short the starter solenoid a couple times and it was mounted in the same place. Some things never change!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Most newer Fords now have the solenoids mounted on the starter. It is no longer on the inside fender. It's all one assmebly now. You could try having someone turn the key while you tap the starter motor and/or solenoid with a hammer. Sometimes that will work, if it does, bad starter.

My guess is the starter is bad. And yes Autozone can test them off of the vehicle as well. They have a tester inside that can test both starters and alternators. Just take it off and take it in there.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    solenoid is probably good if it just clicks. it would crank and crank til kingdom come without starting the car if the solenoid was bad. just clicking usually means the starter relay or ignition relay is bad. Or the starter itself is bad.

Or the melted spot(s) on his screwdriver???:oldwise:

or when the screwdriver welds itself on there... saw that at a junkyard once :): saw the handle and thought "oh boy, free screwdriver" and then couldn't remove it, so I crawled up and saw it welded on.

also, how the eff does the solenoid work if its not in the starter? the solenoid uses the electrical current to push the gear onto the flywheel/flexplate. :dunno: I'm honestly wondering how that works, not trying to be a smartass.

Top Bottom