How do people with out hearing deficits do it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so my MIL has once again graced us with her presence for the Holidays. In the past it has been no big deal I wanted to I could just look away and not know what was being said. Easy. Now this year I have the ability to know what she is saying and wow, I do not know how people with anti relatives that are know it alls do it!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Easy for me. I know it all, so if she disagrees she is obviously wrong.

And let’s fix it for MOST of the people here “how do people deal with their mother in law”

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You don't have the practice the rest of us do tuning out auditory stupidity. Just keep practicing. You'll get it down.
    This. MIL is an ex-east coast know it all. New Jersey. So she’s loud and forceful and usually wrong. I’ll usually wait for her to wind down in a tirade and then inform her she’s wrong. Watching her blister and back track is literally half the fun.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My mother's side of the family is all hard core left. (aunts, uncles, cousins, ect)

While my two siblings tolerate them enough to stay in minimal contact, I wouldn't recognize any of them if we were sitting next to each other. It's been over 35 years since I've seen or spoken to them and looking forward to keeping that streak alive.

Geography is my answer.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You don't have the practice the rest of us do tuning out auditory stupidity. Just keep practicing. You'll get it down.
    I think you are on to something. I have a lot to learn, still trying to figure out how I am going to keep it together when we go and pick up our son. Timing was such that I was not able to have a conversation with him before he left.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    My mother's side of the family is all hard core left. (aunts, uncles, cousins, ect)

While my two siblings tolerate them enough to stay in minimal contact, I wouldn't recognize any of them if we were sitting next to each other. It's been over 35 years since I've seen or spoken to them and looking forward to keeping that streak alive.

Geography is my answer.
    And I am guessing you will be building a drawbridge at your new place as well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    First, I don’t see my FIL or MIL. Haven’t spoken to them in about 8 years, and they have been informed that the police will be called if they show up at my house. Long story, and I’m better off cutting them out of my life.

Second, those of us who have not had a hearing impairment our whole lives have spent years learning to tune out the noise. My wife will be talking to the kids and out of the blue call my name. Says “weren’t you listening?” Nope. If you aren’t talking directly to me, I’m out.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Boy she looks angry. Wonder what she's ranting about."

*sits and blissfully listens to the eeeeeeeee*

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    First, I don’t see my FIL or MIL. Haven’t spoken to them in about 8 years, and they have been informed that the police will be called if they show up at my house. Long story, and I’m better off cutting them out of my life.

Second, those of us who have not had a hearing impairment our whole lives have spent years learning to tune out the noise. My wife will be talking to the kids and out of the blue call my name. Says “weren’t you listening?” Nope. If you aren’t talking directly to me, I’m out.
    Kind of hard to explain But at this point I struggle to understand where sounds are coming from etc . My wife says welcome to the world.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’m 17 years into my second marriage, and have been blessed with in laws that are pleasant to be around. We (me and my current wife) actually socialize fairly often with my ex father and mother in laws.

My ex father in law has actually told me he likes me more than he likes my ex, which is his daughter!

Top Bottom