How do we change the stigma on female gun ownership?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My employer doesn't allow weapons at work, but my coworkers know I am "gun friendly". Some are OK with it and some choose to make a point in any given conversation to voice their concerns about my safety (or that of my children) around my firearms.

Had a funny moment recently when one of the gals introduced me to a patron as a "Pistol Packing Momma". Turns out he was an INGO member and we knew a lot of the same people. We had a nice chat and after he left she looked at me and said "I didn't understand a thing you guys said. It was like a different language." I guess the joke was on her.

Maybe you should counter with, "What, you DON'T carry around your kids? Don't you care about them? How will you protect them from harm if a crazy comes into the grocery store? Throw celery at them?"

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the idea of women carrying, I encourage my better half to, as if she needed any more encouragement! I can feel a lot safer knowing she can defend herself! Women are great shooters no matter what any man says, as long as they have enough range time to feel confident with the weapon, I have no complaints! But that goes for anyone carrying a concealed weapon!

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe you should counter with, "What, you DON'T carry around your kids? Don't you care about them? How will you protect them from harm if a crazy comes into the grocery store? Throw celery at them?"

Safety of children!??? I feel a lot safer being out with the kids knowing I can defend them in the event of a active shooter!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I like the idea of women carrying, I encourage my better half to, as if she needed any more encouragement! I can feel a lot safer knowing she can defend herself! Women are great shooters no matter what any man says, as long as they have enough range time to feel confident with the weapon, I have no complaints! But that goes for anyone carrying a concealed weapon!
    What about a non-concealed firearm? ;)

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    It happens to me with selling knives. A man walks up to one of our tables and will look and ask one of the guys behind our tables a question about one of our knives and he will tell the guy to ask me since they are my knives. He looks at me and I answer his question then he will ask another question and look at the guy again. :rolleyes: hard headed *** maybe,, thinking women are not smart enough to know about knives... probably... which is to me the same thing they think of us with carrying a firearm. We are no longer poor defenseless creatures most men think we are. We can work and help bring home the bacon but we should not be responsible to protect our selves and our families. I OC or CC just depends on my mood and what I am wearing too. IF someone asks me why I carry a gun " I say to protect myself but hey I just might protect you too if a bg comes in.:D

I put the image in their head that I would help protect them too and for some reason it helps. They smile and walk away.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I finally admitted it, in a comment I made in an earlier thread, I don't tell a lot of people I carry.

The few folks that I have talked to about it are rarely positive about it and want some type of explanation from me. Apparently it's far more socially acceptable to live with your head in the sand than stick out your neck and take your safety seriously. So how do we change this perception that a woman with a gun has to be crazy?

Tell 'em what *I* tell 'em: Women with guns are HOT & SEXY! :D

Really.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    That would infuriate me.

I think I'd ask them whether she thought the risk came from their lack of faith in me to be responsible or from the firearm that was going to violate the laws of physic and fire on its own.

Oh, it does. That any woman would lack the confidence to operate a small mechanical device that is solely for their protection to the point that they are confounded by another woman who can, is truly annoying. I've asked gals before if they wanted to join me at the range...funny, no takers yet.

One of my boys actually pats me down before we leave to see where I am carrying and if he doesn't find one I get scolded about how HE feels safer when I carry...but then my kids have seen me shoot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Apparently it's far more socially acceptable to live with your head in the sand than stick out your neck and take your safety seriously. So how do we change this perception that a woman with a gun has to be crazy?

A woman without a gun is crazy in my book. It happens to someone every day.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Back to the original question, I think that we can do a lot by teaching the little girls that guns are good and fun. That a woman carrying a gun is not only OK, not weird, not macho, etc. My 8 y/o niece got a BB gun for her birthday. My adult age nieces have purchased, carry, love to go shooting with my sisters and I, and will be teaching their children that guns are not eeeeeeeeeevil.

I think that it is similar in some respects to women owning and driving motorcycles - that took time and now look at how many women are riding them! The "older" women probably are a waste of breath talking to but the young ones are very open to the idea and have lots of questions. Those are who I focus on. In fact, I'm meeting one at the range this afternoon!

mikem1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    with most people it takes a hard lesson to learn, some don't a chance to wake up.
    the gun and parachute thing. women packing - well, it works for me.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I haven't had anyone question the safety of my kids around our guns. But anyone that knows either one of us knows how responsible we are.

As far as how do we introduce more women to shooting...I think if we all adopted a new shooter that would make a big impact. I have mine already. I helped her pick out her first gun and will go with her next month to get her LTCH started. And I will be taking her to the range (and encouraging her to get a membership of her own) and getting her started on a training class (which I will most likely take with her).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I haven't had anyone question the safety of my kids around our guns. But anyone that knows either one of us knows how responsible we are.
    To those that really have their heads up their asses, this doesn't matter one bit. The people you refer to are inherently okay with firearms ownership.

As far as how do we introduce more women to shooting...I think if we all adopted a new shooter that would make a big impact. I have mine already. I helped her pick out her first gun and will go with her next month to get her LTCH started. And I will be taking her to the range (and encouraging her to get a membership of her own) and getting her started on a training class (which I will most likely take with her).

I think this helps address the issue of how do we bring them along and keep them in the fold, but it doesn't really address getting society as a whole to change the paradigm that firearms ownership is okay for women.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    To those that really have their heads up their asses, this doesn't matter one bit. The people you refer to are inherently okay with firearms ownership.

I think this helps address the issue of how do we bring them along and keep them in the fold, but it doesn't really address getting society as a whole to change the paradigm that firearms ownership is okay for women.

It doesn't change it in the short term, but in the long run, having more female gun owners makes it more normal and less the exception. Every individual we bring to our way of thinking is a small victory.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    You will get it

Okiegirl, I am sure that you will find the answer you seek. Just keep up the training and educating the sheeple around you. I know that your husband works hard at assisting in you getting as much training as you desire and to assist with assuring that you feel safe with the issues that have arose.

I have all the confidence in the world that you are a very, very good shot and I would definately not want to be on your bad side.

Besides that I agree that there is nothing more sexy thatn watching a lady firing a firearm. And you definately got that going on!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, however, this does always present you an opportunity to educate your fellow citizens on the virtues of gun ownership and usage.
    Personally I think most men are fascinated by women who own guns and know there way around shooting. Can't speak for metrosexuals or libs.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    As bad as it sounds, my wife actually carries more frequently than I do. Her office is gun neutral (dont ask, dont tell), so she gets away with keeping it on her person while at work. Im not so lucky in my job, as most jobs I have been on have a strict no weapons policy. I cant even have a pocket knife in some situations. Its a rare occasion that I end up on a job where its actually encouraged that we carry.

I think that the problem is that most(at least the majority that I know) have always had someone to look out for them, or have fallen into the idea that the police will be there to protect them. Its a hard theory to disprove if they are never in a position that requires the police to defend them.
    There are probably more women out there that do carry, but for fear of alienating themselves, never tell anyone. The more that speak up about taking the responsibility of self defense into their own hands, the less I think it will be looked down on by the general non-gun owning public.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't know that we can change the masses ... at least not quickly.
    But if change 1 person's mind; ... and then work on the next person (while the 1st starts to work on 1) and keep this going - it is a pyramid ...

I got 1 right now - our adult daughter - just applied for LTCH, starting to look for and EDC, planning to get to LT-III; she's a 'ring leader' of her friends - when they know she's got this down - another will follow ... and after that I hope a few more.

real change is slow. sadly. and the work for positive change is never done.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers

It doesn't change it in the short term, but in the long run, having more female gun owners makes it more normal and less the exception. Every individual we bring to our way of thinking is a small victory.

This^^^ I think the more women SEE other women with guns (handling them responsibly of course) it helps take away the stereotype that guns are a "man" thing. Firearms could almost be compared to driving or working outside the home less then a century ago. Both were "man" things but the more women did them, the more mainstream it became. Not a perfect analogy but I think you can see what I'm saying.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I know that your husband works hard at assisting in you getting as much training as you desire and to assist with assuring that you feel safe with the issues that have arose.

You would think that after so many years a Sociopath would find a new target, guess I'm just the lucky one.

I have thought a lot lately about telling my story in the hopes it would encourage more women to arm themselves...still working on some soul searching there. I just think it's so important and so overlooked in our society. Even when a woman is armed she needs practice doing moving drills, pressure drills, speed and accuracy training, etc... There are a lot of good sources on this forum and I will likely seek one out in the Spring. I cannot stress how important it is to train in those real life scenarios.

Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    I think you will find that while some (i.e. wackos) will stigmatize your gun-totin' female status, a lot more will think it's pretty great. I've had a couple people ask me things like, "Why would a girl need a gun?" but on the whole I've found most folks to be very supportive. I don't know, maybe I'm just good at choosing my friends, but they all think it's pretty cool. :)

So, I'd just encourage you to keep pressing on. You're doing what's right and exercising your rights, and don't let just any idiot with an uninformed opinion shake your determination.

Oh, and if you're looking for training options, I'd recommend ACT (contact rhino or obijohn). They're really great teaching people of all kinds of experience levels, and that's where I got started.

Top Bottom