How do we change the stigma on female gun ownership?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoxyRugerLC9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Dayton, IN
    I believe education is a HUGE part in turning off the wretched stereotype that we're ALL damsels in distress! My decision to apply for my LTC came after watching a story of a Florida woman being abducted from her home and her two children. After countless calls into 911 over the course of 5 hours the perp shot her in the head and buried her body in a shallow grave with a police unit just blocks away. Her father was a police officer and said if he could change anything he would have pushed for her to have a gun, I applied for my LTC and arranged to purchase my Ruger LC9. My husband works out of town 5 days a week so I'm left to defend myself, my 2 year old, and my home, which I'm quite confident I can and will do at ANY cost. I was fortunate enough to be raised in a very pro-gun atmosphere growing up and I learned to respect the power that came along with owning and shooting a firearm. Every chance I get I'm always putting out the knowledge but I do believe that it's a slow change, once I'm able to SHOW my fellow females that it's not scary or intimidating but empowering to be your own first line of defense, they usually fall in love and take on the gun owner lifestyle. I may only be able to change a few minds at a time but I was once told that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, I'd have to agree

mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Oddly, my experience has been that women are usually shocked, disapproving or jest with me when I mention owning and carrying a gun. Men co workers, relatives and friends have acted quite pleased; "Hey that's cool!" etc.
    Why is this I wonder too. How did it come to a place where modern day women expect? hope? to be taken care of or protected by men/police/stranger in their life?
    Americans were once pioneers. Women certainly knew how to use firearms, maybe not so much for personal protection, but hunting and shooting for a family's needs.
    I remember visiting my grandmother many times at her farm in southern Indiana as a child. Bare handed she would grab a chicken and wring its neck off so we could have a wonderful fried chicken dinner later. A rifle was hung on a wall in the house. Once, I ask her why it was there. She looked at me, said it was there to kill coyotes so the chickens would be safe.:)
    Grandma had a fourth grade education but could read and write, raised a family, gardened, cooked, sewed, worked outside the home and always took care of herself until the last years of her life when she moved in with a daughter. She was gentle but a strong, intelligent woman who loved and was loved by her family and friends.
    She was born and grew up in a different time but no less challenging due to the poverty she and so many people faced 1oo years ago.

Maybe changing the stigma of female gun ownership could begin by remembering the self reliance and strength many of our grandmothers
    lived and start acting like their grand daughters instead of a water downed version of modern women.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I believe education is a HUGE part in turning off the wretched stereotype that we're ALL damsels in distress! My decision to apply for my LTC came after watching a story of a Florida woman being abducted from her home and her two children. After countless calls into 911 over the course of 5 hours the perp shot her in the head and buried her body in a shallow grave with a police unit just blocks away. Her father was a police officer and said if he could change anything he would have pushed for her to have a gun, I applied for my LTC and arranged to purchase my Ruger LC9. My husband works out of town 5 days a week so I'm left to defend myself, my 2 year old, and my home, which I'm quite confident I can and will do at ANY cost. I was fortunate enough to be raised in a very pro-gun atmosphere growing up and I learned to respect the power that came along with owning and shooting a firearm. Every chance I get I'm always putting out the knowledge but I do believe that it's a slow change, once I'm able to SHOW my fellow females that it's not scary or intimidating but empowering to be your own first line of defense, they usually fall in love and take on the gun owner lifestyle. I may only be able to change a few minds at a time but I was once told that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, I'd have to agree

RoxyRugerLC9,
    I volunteer to teach the "First-Shots" program sponsored by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and held at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.
    It's a VERY basic program, a one-time class lasting about 2 1/2 hours or so.

It teaches the fundamentals of safe firearm handling and the basics for developing good shooting habits.

This class is not for you, or is it?

We teach a LOT of women, and quite a few kids. The vast majority of volunteer instructors and range help are male. We could ALWAYS use another helper of the female persuasion. We could use more help of ANY persuasion for that matter, as long as they can demonstrate basic proficiency and safe firearm handling.

Classes are generally held on the second Saturday of the month, and we generally run 3 classes per Saturday.

If you're interested in helping out, PLEASE call Applied Ballistics (765-838-0700 ask for Dan, Mike, or Dave) and inquire about the "First-Shots" program.
    Tell them I sent you in. It won't help, but it probably won't hurt!

Staalbund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    There is nothing wrong and their stigma is like the old fashioned stigma of Blacks going into a white restroom. It was never right to begin with and it never had any REAL reasoning behind it besides ignorance.

Here is what is really happening:

The number of women who owned guns spiked to 23% in 2011, compared to 13% in a 2005 Gallup poll. While the organization hasn’t released updated statistics yet, most think the rates will continue to rise.

More women are arming themselves for protection. As the economy went south gun sales rose.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Truth is sharing about it helps. My daughter (an RN) posted yesterday on FBk that she applied for her LTCH, and is now pistol shopping w/ help (from Dad :smile:) ...

She was worried about what people would think - last I checked - 6 of her nurse friends chimed in that they had their LTCH's and owned/carried ... and she expected people to do the opposite. ...

Since She is 'ring-leader' - I expect a few will follow her lead in this. ...

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I finally admitted it, in a comment I made in an earlier thread, I don't tell a lot of people I carry.

The few folks that I have talked to about it are rarely positive about it and want some type of explanation from me. Apparently it's far more socially acceptable to live with your head in the sand than stick out your neck and take your safety seriously. So how do we change this perception that a woman with a gun has to be crazy?

I really don't think there is much difference in perception of a Woman or Man carrying. Many ladies in Frankfort carry constantly. My wife has her LTCH and she is 70 years old. She was talking to a Teller at our bank and found she carries.

I think there are the people that believe in taking care of ourselves rather than letting other be responsible. Also I believe most people that carry are more realistic about the world. I am not paranoid, nor do I believe anyone is out to get me, but I am aware of the number of BG's in the world that would like to take what I have, and that my life means nothing to them!

However many people have their heads in the sand - believing that the area they live in is perfectly safe and that the LEO's will be right there when/if they need them. They cannot understand why a Woman or Man would carry a firearm!

My son's and DIL's carry. All are responsible law abiding citizens who would defend not only themselves but any innocent citizen.

OkieGirl, you should not care what the sheep think! I have no inclination to try to convince anyone that I am a "good guy". With the libs and gun haters it is just wasted effort, I do try to tell people the facts about honest gun owners and the firearm hobby if they are interested. I also explain why the "gun control" is a fiasco and have changed some peoples opinion (or so they told me).

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    LarryC makes a good point -
    If someone is 'against guns' and their mind is made up - it is a long slow process to change their mind; if it is even possible at all

Most people are in the middle - but they are bombarded daily with the 'anit-' media and their seemingly 'common-sense' idea - ideas that are counter to what you realize when you open you eye, get you head out of the sand (or lower regions of what you sit on), and start to take responsibility for yourself.

These are the people we need to reach. - the hardest one's of these to reach are other gun owners who 'THINK' they know stuff; but aren't totally looking at the big picture. (which gets beyond just women and guns I guess) ...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I don't usually feel a stigma attached to the fact that I carry. I often hear how shocked they are when they learn, but that is related more to my personality than the gun. The few that do look at me like I have two heads are usually willing to dialog about why that is my choice. I truly think the more confident we become as we carry and train, the more respect we will command from those around us whether they are aware of our firearms or not.

I don't broadcast that I carry, but I never miss an opportunity to discuss personal protection or the rights granted by the Constitution.

Top Bottom