• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prepgal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just got a new revolver and a leather holster. The gun fits VERY snugly in the holster making it difficult to draw. Someone told me to soak the holster in saltwater then put the gun in while holster is still damp. I have no intention of exposing my new gun to saltwater. Any suggestions on how to break in a new holster?

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Wear it, use it. Not trying to be smug, but a good holster will usually loosen up in a short period of time if you carry it. Practice your draw while you are at it.

What is your new revolver, if you don't mind telling? Always like to see or hear what other folk are carrying.

Good luck!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Put your handgun in a freezer bag and leave it in the holster overnight. The holster will retain its shape but open up just slightly.

This is the process that is recommended by the paperwork that comes with Galco leather holsters and High Noon leather holsters, and its worked for me for years.

prepgal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the suggestions. The gun is a S&W Governor. The holster is specially made for this model, so it is already molded to fit pretty well just tight. This revolver is a bit big to carry all the time, so the "wearing it in" method may take a while. I think I will try the sock then oil it up pretty good and wear it a day or two. I love this gun! I wanted it since it came out.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Put your handgun in a freezer bag and leave it in the holster overnight. The holster will retain its shape but open up just slightly.

This is the process that is recommended by the paperwork that comes with Galco leather holsters and High Noon leather holsters, and its worked for me for years.

BehindBlueI is right on, I use a thick freezer bag as well, sometime two, and just leave it, it'll stretch it out just enough for you.

Hoosier Buddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    NWI

BehindBlueI is right on, I use a thick freezer bag as well, sometime two, and just leave it, it'll stretch it out just enough for you.

This is the best advice. Milt Sparks recommends using a 4 mil plastic bag for the above procedure.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

This is good advice. In cases where it needed more "adjustment" I keep the handgun in the bag and hold the holster over a pan of steaming water to make it more pliable. After you work with it, leave it cool with the bagged firearm still in it. Be sure to lay it in wax paper or something so that if any of the tanning die leeches, I does not leave permanent stains on the kitchen countertops.
    Good Luck.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I just got a new revolver and a leather holster. The gun fits VERY snugly in the holster making it difficult to draw. Someone told me to soak the holster in saltwater then put the gun in while holster is still damp. I have no intention of exposing my new gun to saltwater. Any suggestions on how to break in a new holster?
    Use it, it will loosen up, never oil one, it will stretch. Saltwater will make it rock hard and useless.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks

I like this site for the learning experience and today I learned something new again. My thanks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wear it, use it. Not trying to be smug, but a good holster will usually loosen up in a short period of time if you carry it. Practice your draw while you are at it.

This

and also this.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

What is your new revolver, if you don't mind telling? Always like to see or hear what other folk are carrying.

Good luck!

This is the best answer you will receive. A holster is best "broken in" by using it. NEVER put oils of any kind on a quality holster.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County

I think this is real good advice. I tried the Neatsfoot oil ONCE and it discolored the leather, made it go from a really pretty caramel color to a rather unattractive dark brown. OK I guess, but not what I was hoping for.

Mark33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013

Best answer!

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Learn something new everyday I guess. I have always been of the mindset to just wear it around the house until I feel it is ready, but I will try the freezer bag on my next one.

prepgal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Bloomington
    OK, so I'm going with the freezer bag method and no oil. Thanks for the great info. And of course wearing and using it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom