Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    You have to be looking to see the sights first, and then it takes practice to see faster. You also have to be looking at the front sight or the dot and not looking for bullet holes in the target.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    My only real issue with this is JJ's lack of respect for the R.O.....He clears weapon, drops hammer, holsters and turns away and the R.O. is still going through the commands....Super SQuader or no...I would have made him re-clear it. Even TGO offers the R.O. better than that. And, Yes, I am a certified NROI R.O.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My only real issue with this is JJ's lack of respect for the R.O.....He clears weapon, drops hammer, holsters and turns away and the R.O. is still going through the commands....Super SQuader or no...I would have made him re-clear it. Even TGO offers the R.O. better than that. And, Yes, I am a certified NROI R.O.

Not what I was interested in, but yes I did notice that and found it a bit disrespectful.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Ro should talk faster. In the back ground you can hear the score; 2 alpha, 2 alpha... I guess he saw the targets well enough, lol

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I'm not sure we watched the same video. In the vid I watched I saw him unload and then hold the slide open and the RO looked in and continued with the commands. I'm sure if the RO had asked to see clear again he would've shown him. But why would the RO ask to see something he'd already seen?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    To give an answer to the op's question.
    You have to break the shot as soon as you see an acceptable sight picture. What is acceptable changes with target difficulty.
    A wide open target at 3 yards,a fist in the center of the target might be acceptable.A target patially covered with a no shoot at 20 yards will require a more refined front sight focus. The transition between the two is one of the hardest things to learn, in my opinoin. Uspsa is about speed,accuracy comes in at a close second.
    I may feel that way because I'm fat and very slow.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    To see that fast it takes alot of rounds down range and knowing what you are looking for. I agree with Coach and Riverman. There is a fine line. But if you watch the start those are more difficult shots. Takes longer. But when he is moving thru the center watch his upper body it is completely indexed to the targets. This is anther key shooting skill is know your index. Not saying he didnt see his sight for each shot. But it makes it alot easier to see your dot if you know excactly where it is all the time. Again alot of rounds downrange. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

I didn't see anything disrespectful about it. At :24, He showed the RO a clear gun, the RO saw it, and he holstered. I've run shooters too, and there wasn't anything even remotely wrong with that.

No offense intended, but if you're really offended that easily, I'm not shooting on your squad.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    As to the OP, it comes down to practice. You actually can speed up your vision in a sense. The simplest example is something I've noticed regarding splits: When I first started, anything under roughly .20 seconds, I wasn't seeing the sights on the 2nd shot very well, if at all. Looking at my range logs, that dropped to roughly .17ish after a year, and now .14-15 is about the threshold.

I'm sure JJ can see even more, even faster.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the first step in being able to see that fast is to believe it's possible and that you can do it. I've had many people over the years say it's not possible to see everything that's going on when shooting at that speed and when I've said it IS possible and in fact I called all the shots, I've essentially been called a liar. I've told those people that if they believe they'll never be able to do it, then they are right... they won't be able to.

The eyes don't care how fast something happens, the light enters the eye regardless. it's up to the brain to actually be aware of what's going on, and for you to put your attention on the right stuff.

I believe anyone can learn to see that fast easily. Learning to call your shots and see the sights lift is a big part of it. A good way to speed up your seeing is to stand a few yds from a big berm, no targets, and just work the trigger as fast as you can, with the goal of visually tracking the sights through their movement. Timing drills also help... at slower speeds it's easy to cheat, but as you cut the splits down, you cannot track the sights, align on target, make adjustments, and still hit the split goal if you aren't on the FS through the entire recoil cycle.

that comes around to what riverman was saying about acceptable sight picture... only when you are able to track the sight through it's cycle, and use that visual input to drive the gun back onto target, will you know as soon as possible that your alignment is acceptable so you can break, AND CALL, the shot, repeating the process. It's a bit chicken/egg to say to use the acceptable sight picture as a method to speed up your seeing (you could flinch every shot and close your eyes, and still break the shot as soon as you see an acceptable sight picture), but certainly the desire to see that acceptable sight picture as soon as possible will help direct your attention to tracking the FS.

I saw nothing exceptionally poor w the unload.

-rvb

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    If 115gr bullets going 1500+fps is a "light load" I guess. :rolleyes:

Your understanding would be false.

Scooped my Rob, but to reiterate, those Open guns are running HOT to make major power factor.

Ok, I'll accept that. I thought I remembered hearing that before running the course, shooters are allowed to do a walk through. Also, most competitive shooters I've read about develop their own loads to maintain accuracy with less recoil.

Top Bottom