How do you haul your mountain bike in the back of your pick-up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thinking about tackling the build of a DIY bike rack for the back of my truck. I have foundseveral examples online made of PVC. I'd rather build than buy, it will be cheaper and way more fun, and I've read good things about the DIY PVC bike racks...

Here's an example of one I found online:

1.jpg

3.jpg

I thought I might come before you my fellow INGOers and see how you haul your bikes? Are there any other creative, DIY methods to hauling a bike in the back of a pick-up truck?

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks JT, I appreciate it. I'll take it if you're giving it away, I will definitely give it a try! We'll call it a trade, that bed frame I gave you for your bike fork mounts!

Longterm, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require removing my front wheels. I have quick release on both bikes, BUT I'd rather not fuss with it every time I load or unload. Ya know?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks JT!

Rest assured, this is not a "WTB" thread, I still want to hear and see some other methods that fellow MTB'ers use to secure their bikes in their trucks! Has anyone else thought, seen, heard about the DIY PVC racks or even better use one?

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I am using the fork mount method. This is the first I am seeing the PVC and I think it is a very cool idea. I wish I could use something like that, but I have a Sonoma with a short bed and a 29er so the bike barely fits in there as is.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm rocking a Sonoma Crew Cab, it has a tiny bed. I don't ride a 29er though... So, I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

29507_615940139184_32300100_3491567.jpg

Last edited:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Years ago I laid a 2x6 across the front of the bed, in the bed not on top attached two axle clamps to it and set my bikes in there with the front wheels off. Still works great cost about $10. If you need security you have to add a bike cable and lock.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Detailed Pics of my DIY PVC Bike Rack

I finished my DIY Bike Rack for my pick-up. Cost me just under $30 in materials and took no more than an hour to assemble. I just took it for a test drive across town and back (in Bloomington) and had no problems. The bikes were just as snug when I got home as they were when I left! :rockwoot:

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Here's the drawing I did for the DIY Rack

Materials:
    - 1/2" PVC Pipe
    - 14ea T Fittings
    - 6 90 degree elbows
    - PVC Pipe Primer
    - PVC Pipe Adhesive
    - Spray Paint (optional)

e16705d1.jpg

In the space that holds the front wheel of the bike, there is a small gap between the T Fittings, a 1.75" piece of PVC is used to fill in that gap. I feel it's best to gauge this gap with your individual bike tire.

My drawing is kind of vague, so if you want to build one and have any questions let me know!

Last edited:

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah mine is a crew cab also. I love the truck but wish the bed was a foot longer. The rack looks great. I wish I would have seen this before I made mine. I like the fact that you don't have to remove the front wheel every time. I may have to build one of these just to try it out and see which I like better.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I love not having to take my front wheel off. And, for $30 and an hour spent on the build, how could you go wrong??

Some tips I'd give anyone interested in building on of these; Be as precise as possible when gluing your joints. Measure twice, cut once. Perform a dry run of assembly. Glue and reassemble very quickly. Having all the pieces laid out on the ground in front of you is VERY helpful. My fiancé helped me build mine. Having an extra set of hands made it much easier. If you have someone willing to help, definitely take advantage of that!

...and good luck!

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Another successful test outing today. This time with only one bike. Once again, across town and back.

1e5be77f.jpg

18dfbc43.jpg

wrenchead88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    i wish i would have made one of those for my last pickup but i just used put a heavy blanket over the tailgate and hang the front end of the bike over it and strap it down so it couldnt move, which worked but this looks like it works better

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    This setup is freakin' awesome! I can't tell y'all how much I love it. I have hauled our two bikes all over town and back, multiple times, and so far never had a single issue. The bikes are in solid, don't move an inch, and I know they aren't sliding around getting scratched, dinged, or getting pedals snagged in spokes... This is one of the best DIY projects yet that I feel I've tackled. If you are a bike rider, have a pick-up, and you haul your bike to trails, this is THE way to go if you don't want to buy a fancy name-brand set up.

KMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    That is awesome. I've been using a small fork mount that is bolted to the bed but this looks a lot easier.

Top Bottom