How do you manage your hands shaking when aiming?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just started getting them last year. I know what you mean. Dr put me on meds had to adjust them because all I wanted to do was sleep until we got a dosage that helped me but didn't put me out day and night. I'm still not as good as I use to be it's very irritating, but its part of my life now so I just accept it and hope it doesn't get any worse. If so its shotgun time!

It may not be the dosage, it may be the medicine.
    I had that problem with lorazepam (I think that was the name)
    I switched meds, and I'm not sleeping all the time.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't stand there and aim as you see most doing. You face your target bring the gun up and as the sights pass over the center you drop the hammer. It takes time to retrain to this type shooting. With rifles I use a rest anymore. Off hand at 150 can still hit targets just not within 2" of center

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm over 70 and no longer as steady as I used to be just a few years ago. Just happens to you as you get older. Adding weight (i.e. large capacity mags, heavier pistol) won't work as strength diminishes as part of this problem. Bummer!! Encourage your kids to be proficient and visit often.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Stand closer to the toilet?

Now THAT is funny!!!

In all seriousness, don't focus on the sights, and don't try to time your shot just right to hit the "center of the X". Once your sights are lined up, focus on gradually increasing the pressure on the trigger, applying that pressure straight back, and keep your eyes focused on the center of mass. Your brain will do the rest if you let it. Think about all the things our brains do that allow us to walk across the room without falling on our faces every 2 feet (watch an infant learn to walk for a refresher). If your brain can do that, and you are able to eat off a fork/spoon without spilling food all over the place before it gets in your mouth, then keeping the sights pointed at the target is a piece of cake.

This is an issue that even the most healthy competitors deal with in things like 3 position small bore, air rifle, NRA Highpower, and even PRS matches. Basically any competition where you need to shoot sub MOA in order to not loose points. Everyone has some amount of wobble, and in precision marksmanship even the smallest wobble makes a difference, and this is how we deal with it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You don't keep it steady. Do what I call "pass by" shooting. Move gun over target from left to right and when sights begin to "pass by" the target pinch the shot off.

My dads cousin uses this same kind of technique except he does circles over the target gradually tightening up and popping the shot.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I guess it's a relief that I'm not the only one suffering from this. It started a year or so ago, and is often bad enough that I can't sign my name with any degree of legibility.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Tremors run in my family. Dad had 'em, both of my brothers have 'em, and I have 'em but not too bad yet. Rifles get shot off a rest so no issue there. With handguns, I have started using a technique that works well for me. Press firmly forward with the strong hand and pull back firmly with the off/support hand. Worth a try.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Tremors run in my family. Dad had 'em, both of my brothers have 'em, and I have 'em but not too bad yet. Rifles get shot off a rest so no issue there. With handguns, I have started using a technique that works well for me. Press firmly forward with the strong hand and pull back firmly with the off/support hand. Worth a try.

I seem to remember that technique being taught in the 60s. I don't remember what they called it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You might see a neurologist.

Thats who is taking care of my tremors. It's no fun when it comes to target shooting. Especially when you know how you use to shoot. It changes everything. I'm still doing well with my self defense drills but thats hitting an 8" target at 3-15 yards. Trying to hit an 8" target with a rifle at 400yds is a whole different story now days. It can get very irritating.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not sure how bad your specific case is, as it can be someone unfamiliar with the fundamentals of shooting mistaking some dancing in their sights as a serious problem. So please don't read further if you have a medical condition.

Basically you need to get used to the fact your sights will always dance on the target, and that it doesn't matter as long as your stance, grip, sight picture, and trigger press are all precise and accurate.

You can minimize this dancing though a better stance and correct hand placement on the pistol. I prefer to apply 60% of my grip force with my left hand and 40% in my right hand. With a good stance, and good placement of pressure the dancing really becomes a non-factor.

Noahp45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2020
    Evansville
    Accept the shaking watch your sight.... target blurry slow steady squeeze. With a bunch of practice you will get the rhythm and hit your mark every time.

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    Push with strong hand pull with support hand. Establish your accuracy capability and know your limit for self defense work.

Target shooting try to embrace the wobble and focus on the proper plane (dot if rds or front sight if irons). This will help minimize the perceived wobble.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Ron Avery recommended using grip trainers a long time ago. I recall my sisters first husband a Parke county cop using them. I have since taken up the practice. Squeeze them closed and practice pulling the trigger as many times as you can. Ron said a average man should be able to pull 150lb and hold it while pretending to pull the trigger. 3 pack of grip trainers was 50$ and the best firearms trainer I've purchased so far. I curently use the 200lb trainer for practice. Cut sugar from your diet, Caffeine as needed.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My tremors are from carpal tunnel syndrome. Have you had an EMG and/or MRI done? Hurts but my neurologist found out why my hands shake. I thought it was in my cervical area or essential tremors but turns out I need a couple simple surgeries to correct it. Off of work a couple days then slowly progress into physical therapy. At least that is what I was told. I just got diagnosed and have not had a chance to get into Indy Hand Center.

Top Bottom