How do you manage your hands shaking when aiming?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My tremors are from carpal tunnel syndrome. Have you had an EMG and/or MRI done? Hurts but my neurologist found out why my hands shake. I thought it was in my cervical area or essential tremors but turns out I need a couple simple surgeries to correct it. Off of work a couple days then slowly progress into physical therapy. At least that is what I was told. I just got diagnosed and have not had a chance to get into Indy Hand Center.

Did you have any pain or tingling in your hands? What led them to check for carpal tunnel?

Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    An old trick I’ve heard is to wiggle the toes just before firing. Something about having an outlet for excess movement is supposed to make you steadier elsewhere.

Nhinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I’ve been practicing lately with a scoped .22 and have noticed that I can’t hold it still unless I’m resting on something. Even then, I feel like when I hold my breath or at lease slow my breathing, it helps me tremendously

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    I had this weird exercise I did to help me get used to a red dot on a pistol that I saw on YouTube; don’t know if it would help you or not but I think it might.
    Disclaimers: it’s not for tactical use, its not for use with a lightweight snappy gun/round, it’s slow and you will not believe it until you try it. My pals thought I was crazy but it worked the same for some of them.
    Basically, hold the gun with your trigger finger ( stuck out straight, on the slide, to start) and your thumb. That’s it. As little grip as possible and still hold the gun up. Of course, the first time most people do this they want the support hand at the base of the pistol to mitigate recoil. Once you’ve shot a few times you realize you don’t need it, in my experience. I used a P320 9mm.
    What this does for me is make me pull the trigger very slowly, with extreme concentration, and I can shoot one hole groups like this all day long. Not sure why, but it helped with the red dot, and it may be similar to what snorko described above with heavier trigger pull. You really do feel every bit of your trigger.

Is there a video one can watch on this technique?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If it is tremors it's going to require youto see a neurologist and find a drug that works for you. My hands can grip around 130lbs each my left a little stronger however, a good grip doesn't effect tremors. It's uncontrollable and it requires a Dr and medication.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If it is tremors it's going to require youto see a neurologist and find a drug that works for you. My hands can grip around 130lbs each my left a little stronger however, a good grip doesn't effect tremors. It's uncontrollable and it requires a Dr and medication.
    After reading my post introducing this vid/technique, I realize I may have overstated or mis-wrote when I said “and I think it may help you”, and I just want to clarify that as I really know nothing about medically shaking, I only know I shoot close to one hole groups with that stupid grip and that has shown I have a serious defect in my “normal” grip. When I wrote that I wasn’t really focused on the OP’s term “essential”. It’s still a very interesting exercise IMO.

mvillepirate20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Merrillville
    I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady
    I have an essential tremor and it makes it hard to keep my firearms steady when looking down the sights. What are your tips and tricks to keep it steady?
    I just started getting them last year. I know what you mean. Dr put me on meds had to adjust them because all I wanted to do was sleep until we got a dosage that helped me but didn't put me out day and night. I'm still not as good as I use to be it's very irritating, but its part of my life now so I just accept it and hope it doesn't get any worse. If so its shotgun time!
    Steadying your breathing may help

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I'm the same way. If I'm doing anything remotely resembling precision shooting, I have to shoot from a rest. A steady hand I certainly don't have

Top Bottom