• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Two things. . . . My wife. Of course it took three times down the isle to find the right one, but she is a keeper. She is always there to help me off the ledge and I am grateful everyday she said yes.

And prayer.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    At the very least, you can be thankful the you don't start each day thinking, "Wow, I get to stuff another dead hooker in the crawl space!"

On a more serious note; I too suffered from serious anxiety and depression when I was younger. I remember seeing life in boring shades of black, white and gray. Food tasted bland, life sucked and the only thing I looked forward to was dying. That was from the time I was 6-7 years old until my late twenties.

Three things happened that changed that. One, in high school, I asked Christ to be my Saviour and became a Christian. That started me on the path away from an abusive childhood and finding myself giving Grace and Forgiveness to my family.

Two, when I was in my early twenties, I started seeing a Christian counsellor and worked through all the unhealthy thoughts, feelings and behaviours that I had learned growing up. My counsellor strongly encouraged me to learn as much as i could about various therapy concepts. That gave me more tools in my toolbox, to counter the negative stuff that I carried within myself.

Three, at the end of four years of counselling, I had worked through 90% of my issues, but still felt greatly depressed. I was then sent to a Dr. who prescribed an SSRI anti-depressant, (new at the time). Within three days, I started seeing colors, food tasted good and I had a baseline for normal highs and lows. That was a huge change for me. I went off the antidepressants after a few months and have continued to use the techniques i learned in counseling to stay emotionally and mentally healthy. Some days are hard, but never as hard as when I was an emotional/behavioral trainwreck in my teens.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    I'm looking for ideas on how to stay positive on a day to day basis..like when you get run down, what gives you hope for the future?

Schadenfreude .. basically, feeling better when I see the troubles of other people. All I have to do is turn on The People's Court, Judge Judy, Jerry Springer, etc. I can also look around my own family (especially at my oldest brother ... with FOUR ex-wives).

Suddenly, my life looks pretty dadgum good.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    When I'm down I like to think about space and the sheer vastness of it. How much we think we know.. it's infinitely less that what is left out there. Kinda makes the problems of today seem petty.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Some of us are genetically wired to be more anxious and/or depressed. It's a struggle lots of days, but even harder when surrounded by negative people, drama and stressful events. Sometimes being outdoors, walking my dogs, going to the range, etc, can help. I like to read, too.

Top Bottom