how does everyone gain so much knowledge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Reading LAST (unless you are learning the history of something)
    Shooting, training, and life experience FIRST.

For example, I collect one particular type of gun. Much of my knowledge has actually come from people who worked for the guy who developed the guns I collect. I never got to talk to the actual guy, but I've talked to his gunsmiths, to people who knew him, and to people who have come after him in the industry. And yes, I read everything I can find too. But that is secondary.

As for using guns, well the best thing is life experience which include actual shooting time, training time, learning from others, etc.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The same way you learn about anything. Reading, hands on experience (shooting), training, and talking with others. I was a newbie when I started here and although I can't consider myself an expert, I have learned a lot. Join in and you will learn as well. INGO is a great resource.

:ingo:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    life experience, mentors, training, military, competitions, reading....everyone will have their own experiences which shape the level of knowledge each individual has on a particular subject.....the best thing you can do is take what you "learn" from everyone else's knowledge that you find interesting...and then do your OWN research on the subject, not only to verify what they told you, but to learn it for yourself....because everyone on the internet is a self designated expert........

the one's who will tell you they aren't and present an otherwise objective opinion on everything, are generally the one's which are more credible...but still do your own research.............remember, anyone can make a website and write a bunch of jargon on it....and someone is bound to believe it's true.......a professor of mine actually conducted a study on this whereby he created a website on a particular subject, filled it with a bunch of complete BS that an expert in that field could obviously discredit, and studied persons utilizing the site....and they completely believed the entire site, even citing it as a relaible source............moral of the story, don't believe everything you hear/read.....do your own testing/research...and when you research, study numerous sources on the subject....unfortunately, the self testing part of this...in our hobbies....can get expensive..

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Osmosis is the easiest method.

Just go to INGO and then place your forehead touching the computer monitor screen, hold steady and knowledge will start to flow like water. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    We all just have virtual knowledge when we are online. ;) (Dont tell anyone)
    You can find out informations about anything on the internet.

You want to know when a particular gun was invented, how many rounds it holds, if OC is legal in Alaska, when the first 1911 was issued to the US Military, the velocity of a .45 ACP round, in what year Smith & Wesson was created, the name of Gaston Glock's dog, gun laws, how tall was Jeff Cooper ... etc?

Just do a Google search or look in Wikipedia.
    You can find all those answers in a few minutes online.
    But if you meet any INGO menbers for real, chances are he/she will have no idea what his/her gun is called or what caliber it is. :D

Outside of the virtual world I just know that you grab a gun by its handle, point the "bang hole" toward the target and press the "bang switch".
    We all look smarter online, let's face it.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Everything I know, I learned from the interwebz.

InternetCommando.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Osmosis is the easiest method.

Just go to INGO and then place your forehead touching the computer monitor screen, hold steady and knowledge will start to flow like water. :)

I tried that, and now I have bacon grease all over my forehead. :dunno:

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    life experience, mentors, training, military, competitions, reading....everyone will have their own experiences which shape the level of knowledge each individual has on a particular subject.....the best thing you can do is take what you "learn" from everyone else's knowledge that you find interesting...and then do your OWN research on the subject, not only to verify what they told you, but to learn it for yourself....because everyone on the internet is a self designated expert........

the one's who will tell you they aren't and present an otherwise objective opinion on everything, are generally the one's which are more credible...but still do your own research.............remember, anyone can make a website and write a bunch of jargon on it....and someone is bound to believe it's true.......a professor of mine actually conducted a study on this whereby he created a website on a particular subject, filled it with a bunch of complete BS that an expert in that field could obviously discredit, and studied persons utilizing the site....and they completely believed the entire site, even citing it as a relaible source............moral of the story, don't believe everything you hear/read.....do your own testing/research...and when you research, study numerous sources on the subject....unfortunately, the self testing part of this...in our hobbies....can get expensive..

Excellent description...+! on the rep.
    and right on.... kind of like computers... I started back in the late 70's with a TRS-80 Model 1, with an astounding 16 K of memory... Even then it was foreign but just dive in and enjoy the learning experience... I have learned a great deal from other shooters, and not just about guns, but life, over the years... Everyone starts somewhere.... and all start at the beginning...

: When I was a kid we used to jump freight trains as they passed through our small town and ride the side of the box car all the way to the limits of town. Problem is if you waited too early, it wasnt moving fast enough to be any fun... Wait TOO long... and it was moving too fast and then you couldn't run fast enough to jump on to the ladder... So, JUMP ON... no one criticizes ignorance... only arrogance...and attitude...

But be careful tho about this shooting "hobby"... Once you jump on, and get into it, you may not be able to get off that train at all and Ride it for the rest of your life... (or in my case at 13 yrs old, ridin the Pennsy from Hobart to South Bend/Plymouth... and then trying to figure out how to get home...

Enjoy the Ride!!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom