how does everyone gain so much knowledge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have been into guns since I was young. I rented tables at the Kankakee County Gun Show for over 10 years. I thought I knew a lot about guns, till I joined INGO...then I found out how much I didn't know, and am still learning everyday.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    40+ years of shooting anything I could get my hands on...listening to the old guys when I was younger...reading everything gun related that I could find.....it adds up! Plus, learn reloading and ballistics if you really wanna wrap you head around our sport.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I tried that, and now I have bacon grease all over my forehead. :dunno:
    yDAND2xsfr7JUhqisfgXoUW+9OzP1Wo7SznGb6quTqS60EmkmMJ6zEViZRqiGnleur2dbaZdHnsaqpC6LfbbD2XTIpRP0RKHu5GfsDh99On0+a4HAeLuptiNwsoXFn6oZWXKEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Me too - And Bacon Zits are the worst.
    Exploding_Smiley.gif

If your looking for knowledge, just ask Really Old people. Wait here - I'll go get my Mom.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Read + Practice + Shoot + Life Experiences + Discuss! ALL of them build knowledge, that, over time, helps one develop a better grasp of firearms, their capabilities, their limitations, their performance, etc...as a whole.

Personal choice as to handgun, shotgun, and rifle preference comes from experience. Many gun owners change their personal preferences for home / personal defense, over the years, whereas some stick with their first choice for life!

Patience...you'll acquire it!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hellz, I played Pong for a quarter on an arcade machine. 16K? Man, that was hella RAM. Try programming a Z80 with 256 bytes using dipswitches. I've done it. It goes to how interested you are. I'm an engineer, not just by training, but by genetics, so when I want to know about something, I'll do what it takes to find out. In complete detail. I know absolutely how an AR works from my learning. Pretty damn close on a 1911. There may be fine points, but I don't hesitate to build one from parts. Read, mess with stuff, ask questions, whatever is your style. There are plenty of resources here for all those. I like being able to answer questions or be helpful, but I won't spout off if I'm not absolutely certain of what I'm saying, at least not without making it clear it's hypothetical. I like people to think they can trust what I say.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm reading posts and realized I know nothing about firearms. Does it come with age? Or mass amounts of reading?:n00b:

Hah, knowledge is not a prerequisite for posting here. It's like poker, you play the cards you want other people to think you have :)

Oh, and ATM is never wrong and that is his actual photo, not an avatar.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    become completely obsessive about one particular thing (rifle, brand, country or origin, etc...) and just go with it.. then when you are content move to something else! not everyone on here knows everything about everything, but between everyone here, someONE knows everything about something!

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Growing up shooting with my dad.
    Military experience.
    Practicing on my own.
    Researching on the internet, and finding INGO.
    Browsing INGO and meeting friends.
    Shooting with friends and asking and sharing.
    A lifetime diet of Bacon.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Reading will get a a far amount of knowledge, however, there are some things that can't be learned by reading, so you must train, practice, practice, and train.

I like to consider myself very knowledgeable on firearms; I'm just a natural when it comes to knowing how they work, how to take them apart and put them back together etc. I also like to consider myself fairly proficient with a firearm, I've had people that I've never met before come up to me say things like, "I hear that you're quite the dead-eye when it comes to shooting." Or a comment by somebody that I do know, when trying to set off homemade tannerite and it wouldn't go off, "I know it's not the shooter, I've seen him shoot before."

I didn't get to that point over night. I've been shooting since I was 5, and tearing guns apart and putting them back together for years. I'm a machinist and an engineer. I've also been reading gun forums since I was a teen. All of those things combined form out a well-rounded gun-nut. I can pretty much do anything I put my mind to regarding firearms. I've built my own suppressor, done my own KG Gunkoting, done my own trigger work, fixed broken firearms, made special parts that were NLA etc. A large part of my life is dedicated to guns, and you can tell.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Reading great articles in my youth by great enthusists (Wiley Clapp,Mike Venturino,Jim Wilson & the great Jeff Cooper) & growing up around some gun savy individuals & hanging around Shooter521 (seriously amazing gun knowledge that comes out of this guy)

Top Bottom