• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    There are so many I've no idea what to get. Odds are I'm going to be loading softer shooting bullseye loads in .45, and maybe 9mm down the road.

Recommendations?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I like TiteGroup for both of these loads.

If you are new to reloading+would perfer a higher density (Fuller Case) powder charge, HP-38, or Unique may be more to your liking..Bill.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I like TiteGroup for both of these loads.

If you are new to reloading+would perfer a higher density (Fuller Case) powder charge, HP-38, or Unique may be more to your liking..Bill.

Can you explain why you like that powder for these loads, and how you arrived at your conclusions?

Opinions are helpful, learning how to form my own is even more so.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Clays would work for both of those calibers. I'd suggest you read some reloading manuals though - you'll quickly see which powders get referenced over and over for various handgun cartridges. Both .45ACP and 9mm have so many well tested "recipes", you'll have no trouble finding a powder to start with.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Reloading manuals and powder/bullet manufacturer websites are the place to look for powder choices and load recipes. Don't listen to anyone posting load data online...not me, not anybody.

For the sake of safety, many reloaders simply will not use a charge of powder than can be doubled without over-flowing the case. Some folks are obsessed with using the smallest possible charge they can find while still cycling their firearm. Personally, I want the one that fills the case the most, while still not pushing the bullet out.

Power Pistol isn't a bad option for the two rounds you mentioned, but there are half a dozen others that will also work. Do YOUR due diligence...don't rely on others. As you so wisely pointed out, learning to form your own opinion is key. :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Do YOUR due diligence...don't rely on others. As you so wisely pointed out, learning to form your own opinion is key. :)

And I am. In my reloading class I've created some loads that shoot quite accurately using Bullseye, Titegroup, and WST. I'm just wondering about other people's experiences with the other 150 powders on the market :):

Thanks for the genuine reply.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Reloading manuals and powder/bullet manufacturer websites are the place to look for powder choices and load recipes. Don't listen to anyone posting load data online...not me, not anybody.

For the sake of safety, many reloaders simply will not use a charge of powder than can be doubled without over-flowing the case. Some folks are obsessed with using the smallest possible charge they can find while still cycling their firearm. Personally, I want the one that fills the case the most, while still not pushing the bullet out.

Power Pistol isn't a bad option for the two rounds you mentioned, but there are half a dozen others that will also work. Do YOUR due diligence...don't rely on others. As you so wisely pointed out, learning to form your own opinion is key. :)
    I don't think he is asking for specific data, he is asking for powder recommendations.

IE, "Hey guys, what powders have you had good experiences with and why do you like them?"

That isn't something that will be answered with load-data. Load-data will tell you what loads are safe after you've decided what powder to use.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    you get a few different ones try them and see how they work in your gun......people can suggest all they want but your gun will tell you better than anyone...:twocents:

start with Bullseye....

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My "go to" powder for both of those calibers is TiteGroup, although I would (and have) used WIN 231, Clays, Universal Clays, AA #5, Powder Pistol, Unique, bullseye, VV and I am sure others I have forgotten.

I like to look at the pressure listings in the reloading manual. For example, if one powder takes a peak of 35,000 CUP to make the posted velocity and another powder only takes 28,000 CUP to make the same velocity, I figure the lower pressure powder is more suited to that use. My personal preference is to lean towards the slower burn rate powders even if they are not as efficient with soft loads rather than a faster burn rate that has a violent pressure peak trying to get a high velocity load.

It all becomes a calculated compromise. Even in the case of the good old .38/.357 revolver, you may be loading a soft 750fps target wadcutter load with a fast burning powder like Clays, a regular 158 grain all around load with something closer to the middle like Titegroup and for full power magnums something like Accurate Arms #9. The middle powder will get you pretty close to the bottom power and pretty close to the top. Of course if you load two or three different loads for 8 or 10 different pistol calibers, just buy a keg of each, you are hoplessly addicted anyway.

For Rifles with bottleneck cartridges, something in the 4895 heat range and something in the 4831 range seemed to cover anything I had over the years. The 4350 heat range is about in the middle, but just like the middle powder for pistols, does not reach the high end or the low end completely.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Look at burn rate - faster powders tend to shoot softer than slower ones. Slower ones tend to give you more velocity for less pressure.

Look at published data - keep in mind that most powders tend to burn cleaner at the upper end of their loadings

Some powders are temp sensitive, they create more pressure as ambient temps go up (or down) with the same charge. WST, for example is known to be reverse temp sensitive. The load that is fine at 85 in the summer, may start flattening primers and/or exhibit other signs of over-pressure at 35 in the winter.

Powder granule shape and size - this effects how consistent your powder drops will be if you're not weighing each charge out. Small spherical/ball powders tend to meter better than large flake ones.

Powder density/efficiency - how much powder does it take to get the velocities you want? Powders like titegroup are efficient, it doesn't take much. Powders like AA#7 will require more powder to get the same velocity. On the other hand, some people LIKE having to use more because it fills the case better (more of a concern with 45 than 9), making it harder to F up and double charge.

How clean does it burn? Some people care, some don't. In 45, Bullseye is known to be filthy dirty (it is), Viht N310 or 320 is about as clean as it gets.

How hot does it burn? If you're using lead bullets, the burn temp will effect how much smoke you get. E.g. Titegroup is a very hot burning powder, so if you use it with lead, it'll look like a civil war re-enactment as the heat burns off all the bullet lube.

All that said, if I wanted one powder for light 45 and 9, VV N320 is it. Fast(soft shooting), at upper end of load range gives me the velocity I want in both 45 and 9, not temp sensitive in the least, fine powder that meters extremely well, relatively efficient, CLEAN, especially in 9mm.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    All that said, if I wanted one powder for light 45 and 9, VV N320 is it. Fast(soft shooting), at upper end of load range gives me the velocity I want in both 45 and 9, not temp sensitive in the least, fine powder that meters extremely well, relatively efficient, CLEAN, especially in 9mm.

This, and the rest of your post, is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Alliant Bullseye is hard to beat for target loads. It has been around forever. It is economical, measures well, isn't temperature sensitive and produces great accuracy. There are other powders, like those mentioned, that are also very good, but the gold standard in target pistol loads is Alliant Bullseye. I also like Alliant American Select for target pistol loads. It is cleaner burning than Bullseye. I also use it in my shotgun loads.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Equipment can matter as well although not near as much. I hate running fine powders like Accurate #5 in my Lee turret as it makes a mess. It leaks out from the powder measure and gets everywhere.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Here's how & why I chose what I did in pistol caliber loads.

1- Does it meter 100% accurately every time? If it doesn't measure out exactly what I want it to every time I look elsewhere. I'm not going to screw around with a trickler getting the powder just right, when I can get it done exactly right with one step and avoid a lot of unneeded srewing around.

2- Is the powder readily available or can I buy enough that I don't really have to worry about that. If you can't buy the powder at two local shops then it's not going to be there the day you're running low and need some in a pinch.

3- Can I reload more than one pistol caliber with this powder? If I find something that measures very well, I want to be able to use it in other calibers if I can. I'm not buying one type of powder per caliber if I can avoid it. Sometime you can't avoid it, but in pistol calibers it's easier to use across the board.

That's pretty much it for pistol calibers. My rules above change when I look for long range accurate rifle powders.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

I use Solo 1000 for the same mission. Before that, I tried Clays, but it doesn't work well with heavy bullets in 9mm. Solo 1000 will make great target loads in 9mm with bullet weights from 115 to 160 and 200 and 230 grain .45 as well (that's what I've loaded). It is very similar to VV N320.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Here's how & why I chose what I did in pistol caliber loads.

1- Does it meter 100% accurately every time? If it doesn't measure out exactly what I want it to every time I look elsewhere. I'm not going to screw around with a trickler getting the powder just right, when I can get it done exactly right with one step and avoid a lot of unneeded srewing around.

2- Is the powder readily available or can I buy enough that I don't really have to worry about that. If you can't buy the powder at two local shops then it's not going to be there the day you're running low and need some in a pinch.

3- Can I reload more than one pistol caliber with this powder? If I find something that measures very well, I want to be able to use it in other calibers if I can. I'm not buying one type of powder per caliber if I can avoid it. Sometime you can't avoid it, but in pistol calibers it's easier to use across the board.

That's pretty much it for pistol calibers. My rules above change when I look for long range accurate rifle powders.

So based on that criteria, what did you choose?

StumpyPete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I'm fairly new to reloading, started with Universal, went to W231, then to Titegroup.
    I load .45, .40, 9mm and 38 spl and only for plinking.
    Titegroup works the best for me in all 4 loads but now that I read this thread, I may give Bullseye a try. "Temperature sensitive" caught my attention since I sometimes load in a cold garage.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So based on that criteria, what did you choose?

I run titegroup for 9mm & 45acp. I run H110 in 44mag. In 10mm I used to run bluedot, and when the other powders run out I can use it in those if needed.

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Powder preferance

I'm in the Tite Group camp. I load .45acp, 45LC, 9mm, .38 and .357.
    I started with Unique, filled the case nicely and was nearly impossible to double charge. Extremely dirty powder, when you get home you won't have any trouble figuring out which guns were running Unique. Tite Group is a powder that works well in long cases. Beware that if you seat the bullet too deep the case pressures go up quickly.
    I am currently using Clays to load some soft loads for an HK .45acp with a suppressor. After trying 5 different powders, 4 different bullet weights and 3 different powder charges for each, Clays was the winner. Got them down to 610fps and the gun never missed a cycle, real quiet too.
    My goal was to consolidate my calibers, and thus consolidate my powders so I could buy 8pounders and simplify what was going on at the reloading bench. I consolidated my rifle calibers down to .223 and .308 and that allows me to use the same powder - H335.
    I just ordered a .338 Lapua , so my powder preference may change or I may need to run a specific powder for it alone. Time will tell. There was a lot of good advice put forth to answer your question. I would suggest you determine your goals for your shooting style, reloading bench, and go from there. And, yes, every Man Cave is now a mini ammo factory. I'm not sure what is more fun, loading or testing to see which custom load works best for my application.

Jetman (Jim)

Jetman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Cicero
    Powder preferance

I'm in the Tite Group camp. I load .45acp, 45LC, 9mm, .38 and .357.
    I started with Unique, filled the case nicely and was nearly impossible to double charge. Extremely dirty powder, when you get home you won't have any trouble figuring out which guns were running Unique. Tite Group is a powder that works well in long cases. Beware that if you seat the bullet too deep the case pressures go up quickly.
    I am currently using Clays to load some soft loads for an HK .45acp with a suppressor. After trying 5 different powders, 4 different bullet weights and 3 different powder charges for each, Clays was the winner. Got them down to 610fps and the gun never missed a cycle, real quiet too.
    My goal was to consolidate my calibers, and thus consolidate my powders so I could buy 8pounders and simplify what was going on at the reloading bench. I consolidated my rifle calibers down to .223 and .308 and that allows me to use the same powder - H335.
    I just ordered a .338 Lapua , so my powder preference may change or I may need to run a specific powder for it alone. Time will tell. There was a lot of good advice put forth to answer your question. I would suggest you determine your goals for your shooting style, reloading bench, and go from there. And, yes, every Man Cave is now a mini ammo factory. I'm not sure what is more fun, loading or testing to see which custom load works best for my application.

Jetman (Jim)

Top Bottom