How Far Will Society Allow This Outrage Culture To Go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I think there is no harm in satirically poking fun at that commercial, as most commercials contain elements of exaggeration that are perfect for making jokes.

As for outrage... no one is really outraged. Sending a tweet isn't outrage, it's pretend outrage and somehow a culture has been built up giving credence to fake outrage.

I'm not sure I agree. To a lot of these self righteous social justice warriors, those tweets are how they display their outrage. They truly are outraged, because of their over sensitivity to every little perceived slight. However this over sensitivity, has left them at a loss with how to deal with the real world, so all they know to do is express public moral outrage. The feel superior enough that this public shaming is supposed to change the real world, into the one they want. Then they don't know how to react when it doesn't.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I must confess that in every one of these commercials I have seen for the product, the people live in some beautiful, expensive places that would be ensconced in perfect locales to actually ride in. It's like showing someone NordicTraking in Aspen

Get a real bike and go play outside

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I must confess that in every one of these commercials I have seen for the product, the people live in some beautiful, expensive places that would be ensconced in perfect locales to actually ride in. It's like showing someone NordicTraking in Aspen

Most of the ones I've seen show people living in some high rise apartment building in a city. :puke:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most of the ones I've seen show people living in some high rise apartment building in a city. :puke:

I have ridden on Manhattan, and bicycles rule that place

But one of the previous ones also had a woman in a wall-o-windows room with a view of nothing but country outside and it was sunny and deciduous forest. Even if they're in the middle of nowhere, the road to their house would be gorgeous (and rideable)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

But one of the previous ones also had a woman in a wall-o-windows room with a view of nothing but country outside and it was sunny and deciduous forest. Even if they're in the middle of nowhere, the road to their house would be gorgeous (and rideable)

OK, now I'm outraged...

it it is just a commercial...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Yeah, I get the latter part. Instead, they're looking at a false environment on a screen. Which I would really want to do if I was in Manhattan. Like I always say, I'd actually like cities if it weren't for all the people and buildings! :)

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I shared a meme on the book of faces yesterday. It was titled "That look when you outfish your husband..". It had a photo of a young woman with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other. I thought it was funny, and tagged both of my daughters, since they both think they're the hottest thing with a hook since the captain. (They are both pretty good). We all thought it was funny, until some dxmn snowflake said the girl in the photo was Casey Anthony, and we should all be ashamed for even using her likeness. WTFE. If none of us knew that beforehand, how could it possibly matter? I had to figuratively walk away.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    No matter what you do, someone is going to b***h about it. I could single-handedly save a bus full of nuns holding babies from going off a cliff and someone would complain... oh, and the nuns were blind and the babies orphaned refugees.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No matter what you do, someone is going to b***h about it. I could single-handedly save a bus full of nuns holding babies from going off a cliff and someone would complain... oh, and the nuns were blind and the babies orphaned refugees.

Social media has supplied a stage for all to sing on. Some can actually sing. Others just carry a tune. Some fill in gaps with harmony. Others just ***** moan and groan as that is who and what they are.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Unfortunately with social media and Cell phones that let you have a camera everywhere you go, people are way more vain and narcissistic. I'm in Phoenix on a work trip and my co-worker spent most of an hour the other day taking selfies until she had the perfect one...:rolleyes:
    Is she hot?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Facts don't matter and neither does reality, it's all about feelings. Apparently we've created a generation who can only feel outrage and offense and they drag their butts out of bed every morning searching for anything to stimulate those emotions.
    It’s not just about feelings. It’s about the “truth” of one’s experienced oppression as part of a minority group. It’s just a completely different and toxic way of thinking.

Oh. And yes, it’s kinda click-bait reporting. And the number of people not outraged about the bike ad far outnumber those who do. But the ones who are outraged, few as they are, are powerful. They have the power to cancel people. That actress probably won’t find much work once they dox her. Because she sinned against her people.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The commercial is aimed at a specific demographic. This is upper middle class stuff. They live in a really nice houses. The thousands of dollars to buy one of these bikes is easily afforded. They’re health conscious people. They do get outside and exercise. And they also like their exercise machines. They casted the parts in this commercial well. It works because it’s hitting the audience intended. The people who are complaining are mostly problematizing a culture they don’t like.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's a money maker.

I find a small group (or make one up) that's outraged over something pedestrian.

I then write an article about how outraged they are. I present it as though some large segment of society cared.

Readers then get outraged at the fact the other group is outraged. They spread it (like this thread) and I get more clicks. Clicks equals dollars.

Now I can write an article about the outrage over the outrage.

You can *always* find something outraged about something, but if you can't, you just make it up. There's been several instances where the "outrage" was tracked back to a single person's innocuous or sarcastic tweet and nobody was actually upset until the article came out.

It will last as long as there is a market for it and it's profitable.

This is why I'm loath to give Fox News any clicks on this "story".

The people who are complaining are mostly problematizing a culture they don’t like.
    And they probably can't afford it anyways.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The commercial is aimed at a specific demographic. This is upper middle class stuff. They live in a really nice houses. The thousands of dollars to buy one of these bikes is easily afforded. They’re health conscious people. They do get outside and exercise. And they also like their exercise machines. They casted the parts in this commercial well. It works because it’s hitting the audience intended. The people who are complaining are mostly problematizing a culture they don’t like.

Maybe, maybe not. As a dedicated cyclist, I can tell you I don't even like to transport my bike. If i'm meeting friends across town, I ride there. Machines never, ever create a good facsimile of real riding; a good ride presents you with a hill not at a time of your own choosing. Machines are for rainy days or winter, and then the machine is just a trainer you attach your bike to or a set of rollers. Pelotons are for gutter-bunnies

Maybe the people buying stock in the company aren't the target audience, but they should tell you something about how the company is faring in the marketplace. The IPO immediately fell below the strike price and didn't close above it for a month and a half. Spiked in November, perhaps in anticipation of gift giving or just money chasing gains/FOMO. Now it appears to be crashing again. There are collegial computer apps like Zwift that allow riding against other riders in the off season for a tiny fraction of what these things cost. Expect a good Oculus app to cut into their business, too

https://markets.businessinsider.com...on-market-value-holiday-ad-2019-12-1028737428
    Peloton saw $942 million in market value wiped out in a single day amid backlash to its controversial holiday ad

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The commercial is aimed at a specific demographic. This is upper middle class stuff...

So much so that when they began selling the bike, it was $1200. Their sales were bad. Like about to fold up bad.

They raise the price to over $2K, and they sold like crazy.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom