• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If they ever release a 40# bow that will break 300 FPS, I'll be dropping to 40#. LOL! I started out in archery 23 years ago at 70#, then after a few years dropped to 61#. I shot 61# for probably 15 years before dropping to 52# in 2008. I can still draw 70#, but cannot think of any reason why "I" need to.

I bet a 300 fps 40# bow isn't that far away. But I'm a huge fixed blade heavy arrow guy anyway so it probably isn't for me anyway. Just think of the beast of an arrow I could launch out of a 70# bow with the 40# 300 fps technology! A 2" cut on contact fixed blade on the front of a 900 gr arrow!! I could shoot deer that stop behind trees!!! Hahaha

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I find that most of today's bows draw harsh, even for 60#.
    They pull hard almost to the end.
    Think while the # may be lesser the draw cycle harsh enough to still cause injuries/wear over time.
    I'll take a Hoyt Cam and a Half at 65% and 72# and draw it with ease. Even in my battered shape, it's just way more comfy.
    PSE X force at 60#????? No freakin' way.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    You kids and your hot rods with training wheels :):. Speed is over rated. Relatively old guy shooting 160-180 fps out of a vintage Bear recurve and homemade long bow.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A fast bow for me just means I can shoot a heavier arrow and still get decently flat trajectory.

Heavier arrow means less stress on the bow/components and makes it more quiet.

I like performance gear, but don't run it at max capability (speed wise).

Guys that shoot the hot rods..........more than one is gonna discover a damage/wear issue, during season.

OK new, OK for practice...............problem finally shows up at worst time.

Had it happen myself with a clip on the harness of a 73# PSE dual cam way back. Just wore it to the point that it made noise, and of course the factory didn't have replacement parts, was getting some new material in to address the wear problem.

Had to run it a bit creaky for 2 weeks IIRC.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    A fast bow for me just means I can shoot a heavier arrow and still get decently flat trajectory.

For me, it means that I can turn the poundage down. :D

With my bow, I just kept backing the poundage down and shooting through a chronograph until I was just barely over 300 FPS, then stopped. 35# is legal for deer in Indiana, so I have room to drop even more as bow speeds advance. Speed is part of the kinetic energy equation, so I can still maintain a good kinetic energy even when dropping poundage due to the high speed. According to my OnTarget2 software, I have 69 ft. lbs of kinetic energy right now at 52#. That's more than necessary to kill a whitetail.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up

With my bow, I just kept backing the poundage down and shooting through a chronograph until I was just barely over 300 FPS, then stopped. 35# is legal for deer in Indiana, so I have room to drop even more as bow speeds advance. Speed is part of the kinetic energy equation, so I can still maintain a good kinetic energy even when dropping poundage due to the high speed. According to my OnTarget2 software, I have 69 ft. lbs of kinetic energy right now at 52#. That's more than necessary to kill a whitetail.

You don't say?

:):

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I just used my buddy's chrono a couple of weeks ago. Carnage at 65#, 28.5 draw...275. Didn't really care about speed but was interested to find out what it was. I shoot a fairly heavy arrow. I shot my friends lighter new arrow and it was 10 fps faster. FYI

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

There's more to killing deer than KE. Those selling bows hype it due to it being an easy calculation based on speed.

I shoot low KE and blow through deer.

What is delivered to the target may not be telling of what will be going through the target ;)

There are general recommendations on KE for certain species, but IMHO those are for John Q public who sucks at math, physics and often has user/assembly and other issues with their gear.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    All I can say for sure is that my bow is a deer-killing machine. LOL!

Guess you were using a different bow when you got the vehicular assist ;)

The lack of P makes me wonder, even if you've stacked a good pile of deer with the Rage.

Your system has indeed proven adequate.

But I think I'd want one with a little bit more P to possibly offer a bit of insurance.

I've always been a fan of pass throughs.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 430 gr arrows at 272 FPS shattered the spine of a doe at 35 yards, only thing that kept it from flying past her was the fletching in the bone. She tried to duck it, reason it nuked her there. Magnus with bleeders was way out the other side.

I hear ya on lack of pass through costing money, she dropped and rolled on a GT55/75 Pro series.

I shot only one other deer in the spine, recurve close (almost straight down). 480 at 198 FPS. Big Snuffer dead centered the vert and had the point out the inside a fair bit. It was cooooooool.

So cool some redneck POS working at the deer processors took it. Would have liked that bleached and on my fireplace mantle. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Still PO'd about that.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    All I can say for sure is that my bow is a deer-killing machine. LOL!

And that sir is all that really matters!!

All arrow speeds aside my season starts tomorrow.....and this darn "urban earn a buck" thing forces me to shoot the first mature doe that wanders by......i love helping with population control!!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Guess you were using a different bow when you got the vehicular assist ;)

The lack of P makes me wonder, even if you've stacked a good pile of deer with the Rage.

Your system has indeed proven adequate.

But I think I'd want one with a little bit more P to possibly offer a bit of insurance.

I've always been a fan of pass throughs.

My pass-through problems were solved when I went to Slick Tricks. :D

To be fair, I did increase my arrow weight from 300 grains to 340 grains as well when I changed broadhead brands.

That little 4-pointer that I hit a few years ago with my Jeep will hopefully be my only vehicular assist. And to think I was on my way home from bowhunting...:):

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My bow is so fast - it's got FLAMES. :):

Told You!

il_fullxfull255377869.jpg

Actually -
    345 FPS
    150 Pull

Crossbow - Does that count?