• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    A while back, while discussing with a cousin about the personal defense ammo we cared in our handguns, one of the wives asked why we carried "Man Killer" ammo instead of normal ammo in our handguns.

After a minute of thinking, I told her that she had a bicycle and car in her garage. A severe thunderstorm has rolled in and she needed to get to the drug store to get much needed life saving medicine for her sick child. Would she take the bicycle or car? Each would possibly do the job, but which would have the best chance of success?

I explained to her that a self defense situation is like a sudden severe thunderstorm that suddenly rolled into your life. You have a serious life threatening situation you have to solve to protect yourself and very possibly the lives of your family. Would you not want to use the tool that would give the better chance of success?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Is that man killer gas you have in you vehicle madam? High octane perhaps? Premium? Tsk, Tsk, Madam. That gasoline is made to make your vehicle perform to it's full potential, my ammo does the same for my weapon. It's really at the end of the day about performance.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    That is a good analogy, I explain the difference between ball ammunition and Hollow points (Man killers). In that a hollow point is designed to expand and stop inside the attacker where as ball ammunition can pass through your target and possibly hurt someone else.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't apologize for anything, or sugar coat it. It knocks some people square out of their preconceptions sometimes. If they ask me why I have/carry a gun, I say "to shoot people." After all, that's what it's for if you're honest. Just that it doesn't mean you want to shoot people. If they were to ask about the hollowpoints (hasn't happened so far) I'd just say "if it's gone as far as shooting at someone, I want to hurt them as bad as I can." After all, you don't want to "sort of" hurt them, or "slow them down"; you want to stop the threat. I think too many people half bake stuff to try to shmooze the unbelievers. I'd rather shock them out of their delusions with the truth. But that's just me.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I like to compare my gun to a fire extinguisher...you may never need to use it, but everyone has one for a good reason.....or sometime i just tell them i do it to feel cool, like jason bourne or john wayne..

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I carry "man killer" ammunition because my desire to kill an attacker is stronger than my desire to be killed by an attacker.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I had a restaurant manager ask me last night if I was a cop. I politely responded that I was not, but just an armed citizen. He looked at my sidearm again and commented that "You can just carry."

I told him that I could, with a license issued by the state. He said something about only at certain times or 24/7. I told him that there was no restriction on time, that "you" can carry any time, but that there were a few restrictions on where. He asked why I carry.

I indicated my family and said "I have a family, and I can't predict the future. I have to protect them and I never know when I'll need it."

He was genuinely curious and seemed satisfied with my answers. He went about his business and I went to eat.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just tell them that the hollow points dont weigh as much, so they wont be such a burden to carry.

Or the lead content is lower than comparable cast lead bullets, thus lowering the risk of lead poisoning in the instance that you have to shoot an attacker.

Personally, I just dont discuss what ammo is in my carry gun(s) with anyone that doesnt already understand. if they want to get into that conversation with me, they will likely get more of an enlightenment than they intended to receive.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I had a restaurant manager ask me last night if I was a cop.

He was genuinely curious and seemed satisfied with my answers. He went about his business and I went to eat.

That is the best kind of interaction. He was open minded and curious and you were able to educate him. :+1:

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    clt46910,

Very well put,:yesway: you have an excellent reply. I will say that I like all of the replies you are also getting, very good thread. I also try to reply to someone’s question in the same manner. Putting it in a way that they themselves can relate too and understand is a great way to reply to “the not pro gun/carry crowd”. Some of the anti crowd is like talking to the “Brick Wall” but putting it like you have will get some of them thinking a bit. Maybe crack that closed mind and get it to open up a bit?
    This is something I like to see on :ingo: I hope you do not mind if I remember this reply and use it myself?
    Thanks, one more

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    My response has been, the weapon is only for that most drastic situations, you never point it at someone(even is no round chambered and cleared) unless you intend to shoot that person, If you shoot someone it is likely they won't walk away. The better the performance of the ammo equals less times fired, and only the attacker will be in harms way when all is said and done. If they are uncomfortable with any part of this (particularly with the chance it would mean taking the life to spare their own), they should never carry, stick with pepper spray, or a tazer.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I just tell them what Massad Ayoob told me and I quote, I chose that ammunition because if the police thought it was the best thing to use to protect me and my family, it seemed obvious that it would be the best thing for me to use to protect myself and my family."

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I agree with all of the responses here.

Police and federal agents carry personal defense ammo too. I looked over the boxes of ammo I have, and even went to the web sites of the manufacturer, there was no mention of "man killer" bullets. Where are you guys getting this man killer ammo? I have been known to carry ball ammo in my 380 or 45. In the 380 to improve penetration and the 45 because it just works (thousands of dead germans and japanese can't be wrong). I also have been known to clean each round with alcohol before I put it in the magazine to help prevent infection when I shoot someone. I have been asked by an LEO why I carry a gun and if it is loaded. My simple response is "loaded, yes and I carry for the same reason you do".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I simply cannot believe the amount of blood thirsty replies in this thread! I am shocked :eek:...simply shocked, I tell you! :drama:
    Don't you people know that if you foolishly INSIST on carrying an evil, nasty firearm for self defense :tantrum:, that you are only supposed to load it with "Slightly Lower Their Inner-child's :baby: Precious Self-esteem for a Brief Moment" ammo??!?

:rolleyes: :D ;)

Top Bottom