• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MuncieFud

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2018
    Muncie
    After reading this thread a couple of thoughts.

OP while it is fun to chase others and even have some friendly competition don't make that your focus.

My point of view is a little different. I'm in college, I work a boring job, I don't like staying up till 3 am to close down a bar. I enjoyed being competitive in high school sports(I wasn't good but I enjoyed trying to make myself better and the comradery) . I started this sport wanting to get back into being competitive and talk to other gun people about all the stuff my girlfriend is tired of hearing about. If I have a bad match I still enjoy shooting and being around all "you" fine gentlemen. I have time and financial barriers that will probably keep me from getting to the top of even my local club anytime soon but, I can buy a $10 dry fire book and put as much time and effort as I'm willing to into getting better. I could burn out with time and either stop worrying about doing better or just move on to something I enjoy as much or more.

For now my focus is getting better and seeing my name go up on practiscore. Not everyone has to have that mind set but as long as everyone is enjoying the sport does it matter what I or anyone else is trying to get out of it?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    My point of view is a little different. I'm in college, I work a boring job, I don't like staying up till 3 am to close down a bar. I enjoyed being competitive in high school sports(I wasn't good but I enjoyed trying to make myself better and the comradery) . I started this sport wanting to get back into being competitive and talk to other gun people about all the stuff my girlfriend is tired of hearing about. If I have a bad match I still enjoy shooting and being around all "you" fine gentlemen. I have time and financial barriers that will probably keep me from getting to the top of even my local club anytime soon but, I can buy a $10 dry fire book and put as much time and effort as I'm willing to into getting better. I could burn out with time and either stop worrying about doing better or just move on to something I enjoy as much or more.

For now my focus is getting better and seeing my name go up on practiscore. Not everyone has to have that mind set but as long as everyone is enjoying the sport does it matter what I or anyone else is trying to get out of it?

Well I will say you are "good" with making excuses why you are not going to the top.
    You want to move up in the standings and that requires getting better. Several have offered advice and you come back telling us how your going to do it.
    You are right it doesn't matter to anyone what you are trying to get out of the sport as long as it doesn't disrupt the match or others shooting.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Everyone has a sad story to tell. Getting good at shooting a pistol can be done on any budget.

I don't know anyone who has the perfect life situation.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I am quite curious after reading through the thread. It is obvious to me that my eyesight has been deteriorating and I don't move like I once did. My goal going into this game is to finish top half of my division in the locals. Would I like to be a B class or higher shooter? You better believe I would but starting this game at 53 might prohibit that. Not going to stop me from playing though. I am signed up for Coach's upcoming Intro to USPSA class next week and I will probably seek some one on one coaching as well to see how "good" I can get. So, for the curiosity question, how many of you started this game on the back side of 50?

I've been shooting pistol for about 10 years and have been improving on a steady basis. As someone said, "shoot what is hard for you". THAT is how I got good in my other hobby and how I try to improve with my pistol. I've watched some of those 'good' shooters in my area and hoped to get up to their level. It's been a long slow slog and I accept that. I've learned to be patient.
    I started shooting pistol at age 60. I'm 72 now and still improving. I've gotten to the point where I've won several local stages against those who I have always considered to be VERY good. Will I ever be GM or a World Class shooter ? Prolly not. While I may never be a national champion as I am in my other hobby, I'm still pretty good and will continue to improve, and have fun doing it.
    I'm just getting started shooting USDA or ISPC (I'll take that procedural for not calling them whatever they prefer to call themselves) and having plenty of fun, even tho I get procedure'd from committing errors (their 'interesting' rules, you know)
    Improvement is based on one's attitude. And I _WILL_ continue to improve to the point where my other competitors will not be happy when I show up.
    I also put up my own towers and still do all my own antenna work, which at my age is quite an accomplishment.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    practical shooting sports have always been fun to me as 1) it's an individual performance vs team and 2) there is no "perfect" score, there is always room for improvement. I leave every stage or match, even my very best ones, thinking of things I could have done better. Focusing on your weaknesses in both your live fire and dry fire practice will result in the fastest gains. I seldom put any stock in the scores, I want to walk away feeling I shot my best and with a laundry list of items that I can work on so my best next time is even better. When I don't feel I'm shooting to my expected level is when it stops being fun (like last match, when Corey drew a line in the dirt after my last stage and said "I could tell you ran out of F*s right HERE" :laugh:).

So if you approach the game with that type of plan, that you will identify your weaknesses and WORK to make them into your next strength, repeating that cycle, you will improve. being 50+ just becomes an excuse. Look at guys like Jerry M and Robbie L.... yea they may struggle to keep the same pace these days, they are dealing with eyeglass prescription struggles, etc etc.... but they can still kick butt. Even if you can't move well, if you're shooting is up to par you could walk the course and still beat 2/3 of the competition. I remember watching one of the local GMs that helped me when I was getting started show up to a match w/ his strong arm in a cast... shot the whole match weak handed and came in at like 75%. be careful of making excuses before you even start!

-rvb

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I started shooting USPSA 25 years ago. my original classification was a (very average) C class. i'm still a C class.
    my goals for a match are,
    NO MIKES
    NO PROCEDURALS
    NO NO SHOOTS

don't shoot myself in the foot :thumbsup:

I don't judge myself on how good, or bad, I am, I shoot to have fun.

:cheers:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I started shooting USPSA 25 years ago. my original classification was a (very average) C class. i'm still a C class.
    my goals for a match are,
    NO MIKES
    NO PROCEDURALS
    NO NO SHOOTS

don't shoot myself in the foot :thumbsup:

I don't judge myself on how good, or bad, I am, I shoot to have fun.

:cheers:

That mirrors my thoughts about competing in the Carry Gun matches and when I have time a USPSA match.. My goal is no misses, no D zone hits, no no shoots and get that done as fast as possible. I'm never first and don't expect to be but I know when I shoot well and reach my goals. I'm there to feel good about what I accomplish, and have fun. If I can manage that I go home very satisfied.

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Top Bottom