How long does it usually take to clean your 1911 or other pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    it would deffinately depend on how much it has been fired and what kind of ammo was used. i routinely spend about 10mins per week to clean the normal accumilation of dust and dirt off that my pistol gets from CCing it. After a good day at the range, ill put it about an hour hour and get it perfect again

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm pretty OCD about cleaning my 1911 and firearms in general, so 1+ hour is pretty common for me even on a routine cleaning.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We typically spend about an hour and a half cleaning guns after a range trip and that's for 6 to 8 guns. Cleaning them is almost as much fun as shooting them. On the 1911s, if they've been shot a lot, it will take about 20 minutes to a half hour to strip, clean, lube and assemble each one. If it has recently been thoroughly cleaned and was used lightly, then it might just get a boresnake pulled through a couple of times, a good wipe down internally using a rag over a brush and then a bit of lube before it goes back into the safe.

If it's a carry gun, then it gets the full treatment, including burning some incense, carrying it around on a velvet pillow and anointing it with Hoppe's #9.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Usually about 20 minutes. I do a wipe down on the outside after a few days of carrying. With acidic sweat, it's a good preventative measure. It's kept the gun looking and functioning great for over 10 years.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I enjoy cleaning them when I get home, but even then, I usually only spend about 10 min for ea. pistol and 30 min on the AR, 5 min ea. on the shotguns & bolt guns

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Depending on the gun, 20-45 minutes. 90 minutes the first time I took my Ruger Mark III apart to clean it. :D

I hear ya on the Mark 3 - took me hours to figure the thing out the first time. Now I can clean my autos and revolvers spic and span in about 20-30 minutes each and that is being quite thorough. Now I am not pulling grips or springs or cylinders and the like mind you. For autos I pull slide, barrel, guide rod, etc - typical field strip - clean lube and reassemble.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    30 minutes if I just give it a good field strip/clean. I shoot a 2011, about every 2 month's I'll completely diassemble, remove grip from frame, drop all the internals, clean, inspect, lube and reassemble. 2 hours for this chore.

OK what is a 2011? I usually spend about 20 - 30 for a 1911, about the same for the plastics. They get a good deep clean 45 - 60 twice a year.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If we are talking taking a clean pistol, shooting it 100-500 times and cleaning it, usually 15 minutes. I use foaming bore cleaner for the barrel, brake clean for the rest, then spray it down with oil. Of course, I do a semi-annual detail strip and cleaning as well. On some guns, that is actually more of an annual blow the dust off with compressed air type of thing. I also scrub the bejesus out of the barrel with bronze brushes and jag patches.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I enjoy the process of cleaning my 1911, and it is maintained in a condition which I would describe as immaculate. But I am diligent in the maintenance of every gun that I own, blued-steel or polymer. I can flow through the cleaning of my guns with efficiency, if time is limited or I can devote the evening to the disassembly, cleaning, inspection and re-assembly of it all. In this way, an evening of gun cleaning becomes an extension of my enjoyment of shooting. The same with reloading: for me, it is an enjoyable extension, and a natural continuity, of shooting.

The question that was raised about "over-cleaning" a gun may be grounded in concern for the rifling -- for the lands -- of the barrel. Discussions about bore cleaning can become tantamount to discussions about religion -- especially among precision competition shooters.
    I believe in applying the most velvet technique that still achieves thorough cleaning of the bore. Those Hoppe's Tornado Brushes, in spiral-wound stainless steel, are ruthlessly effective but I would not like to use a brush which is composed of the same material for which I'm attempting to clean. There is much more to be said on that subject, but in another thread, I'm sure. :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Depends if I'm field stripping or full dissasembly. Field strip is about 10 minutes (what can I say, I try to clean every nook and cranny on the slide), full is about 40 minutes.

But, it depends how detailed a cleaning I want to give, but when I set out to full clean something, I FULLY clean it. From a 1911, to taking apart a revolver, 10/22, 870 express, whathaveyou.

It's not that 1911s are complicated to take apart, it's just that they look so damn sexy when they're fully taken apart and clean :D, but a good, used, and dirty 1911 looks pretty good too :rockwoot:

Top Bottom