• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    After years of gun ownership, I just sold one of my firearms (first handgun I ever owned and only one I ever sold ... so far). :(

Feelings:
    I feel like I kicked one of my own children out into the cold dark night. I'm looking at the empty slot in the safe with tears welling up in my eyes. (This feels like the IKEA commercial with the old lamp sitting on the curb in the rain.)

Facts:
    I had not carried it in years and I had not touched the gun since 2008 (except for maintenance). I could use the cash.

The only silver lining was that the sale went very smooth with a (seemingly) likeable INGO member. I think my firstborn found a good home. Hopefully I'll get pictures in the months and years to come.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have regretted and missed every gun I have ever sold. Even if the gun was not used regularly and was maybe not one of my favorites they have all still been missed. Hopefully I will never have to sell another one. Seems like that would be the only sure way to avoid "sellers remorse".

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This is just me, I could and would NEVER sell my first of ANYTHING.... but that is just me .... My first gun, was a present from my folks, and my second, was also... my first handgun, a Ruger Mk I, I bought myself... ( the torture, would last a long time... but that is me ...)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Sold my first handgun to one of my closest friends about three years ago. He tuants me with it often. :( Though he has been told that that if he sells it to anyone else other than me I will surly have to see how well I can hit a moving target after I tell him to run. :)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have NEVER been happy about any gun sold. I sold all my guns once when young and entering the big bold world, didn't need them anyways, needed the cash...regretted every one sold ever since. Tried to replace most of them since, but still not the same. I will NEVER sell another gun again EVER.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do not like selling guns at all and very rarely do. The only time I do is if, like in your case, I just never use it and I plan to use the cash towards another gun purchase. Sure I sometimes miss them, but i buy my guns to use and if I am not using one then it is just time to part ways and send her to a home where she will be appreciated. Just my :twocents: Sorry for your loss though, the pain will go away when you replace her with a new toy that will see some use! ;)

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    still have the first I ever purchased, a ruger 22 auto, before there was a mark 1, its 40 ish and will go to one of the grandkids/great-grandkids when I pass. Just don't sell guns like that

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I have fond memories of those sold for purpose, first batch went for a down payment on my home. But I have all those passed down generations. My first handgun was a snub 357, felt like being hit in the hand with a hammer. Sold it quick.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The only guns I've actually "let go" (I've got some under temporary custody at my parents for financial assistance) were either total turds, impulse buys that I never really thought through, or financing an upgrade... (selling a cheap .22 to upgrade to a better/more accurate one)

My first gun is always around though. Was a brand new Remington 870 Express Magnum Combo, 12 ga., that I bought through a local shop, that has long since closed, in about... 1994? For the princely sum of $300.

I think I saw the same combo today at Gander for close to $500 (meaning about $450 anywhere reasonable)

Took my first deer with it, and the one after that, and the one after that, and it's waiting for more...

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    After years of gun ownership, I just sold one of my firearms (first handgun I ever owned and only one I ever sold ... so far). :(

Feelings:
    I feel like I kicked one of my own children out into the cold dark night. I'm looking at the empty slot in the safe with tears welling up in my eyes. (This feels like the IKEA commercial with the old lamp sitting on the curb in the rain.)

Facts:
    I had not carried it in years and I had not touched the gun since 2008 (except for maintenance). I could use the cash.

The only silver lining was that the sale went very smooth with a (seemingly) likeable INGO member. I think my firstborn found a good home. Hopefully I'll get pictures in the months and years to come.

Just look it at as though one of your children has left the nest. But I know how you are feeling. I sold my 870 wingmaster (left handed), My Ruger MarkII, and my Browning Bl-22 to help pay for college. That was several decades ago. And I still miss those guns.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Personally, I don't really get emotional about guns. If I'm not using it, I'll sell it and get something that I actually use. So, for me, the torture lasts about as long as it takes me to buy something else.

Top Bottom