• ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I thought this was going to be a thread about marriage!! :joke:

So did it and my first thought was that my first marriage lasted 8 years, then the torture was over. :D

Back on topic, I have not sold my first firearm and never will, but I can relate.
    My first car was a 1967 Mustang coupe. I poured my heart and soul into that car. Had it 13 years, took it to Germany and back during my time in service. My ex wife called it "The Mistress", my oldest Daughter called it the Shopping Car, because when I would pick her up from day care, we would go shopping at the commissary. I got tight on money after moving to TX, house payment as due and it got sold in '96 to help make ends meet. To demonstrate how much I still miss that car, the VIN was 7RO1C224344. I doubt I will ever forget that VIN.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Most consumer goods are just "things", but to me, guns will always be more than that. Guns have stories to tell and are closely associated with good memories of successful hunts or days spent at the range with friends and family. Well-made guns will last a long, LONG time, which means they can be passed down from one generation to the next. They continue to be just as useful as the day they were made, often for many decades, if they are given simple care and maintenance. How many other things can you say that about?

I have all but 2 of the guns I've ever owned. One was a Model 70 FTWT in 25-'06 that I sold to finance my 6.5JDJ barrel. The other was a Ruger Buckmark 22 I had because a friend needed to borrow some money. I can honestly say I don't miss the pistol, but I often wish there had been a way to avoid selling the M70. Dad and I spent a few hours working on that gun to free float the barrel and bed the action, which cut the groups in half. In the end, it was a really great rifle that I just didn't need, so it was sold to start a new project.

I would never consider selling guns that were given to me as a gift, as part of an inheritance, or were my "first" of a certain type. That would be too much like throwing away great memories. I'd much rather pass those down, along with the stories they tell. :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In a moment of temporary insanity I sold my first handgun. When I regained my senses a couple days later I went back to purchase it back. It was already sold. It was a hollow feeling. I wish I could find that gun again.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    When you start comparing your guns to children then it's time to get rid of them. Take the money you get and go see a good shrink! :)

... or I could just keep the remaining guns, keep the money, and post about my issues on INGO. ;) It's more therapeutic to be comforted by someone that's walked that road. Though, I'm starting to have my dooubts. It sounds like I am in the minority of people that have sold their "first of" anything.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    After years of gun ownership, I just sold one of my firearms (first handgun I ever owned and only one I ever sold ... so far). :(

Feelings:
    I feel like I kicked one of my own children out into the cold dark night. I'm looking at the empty slot in the safe with tears welling up in my eyes. (This feels like the IKEA commercial with the old lamp sitting on the curb in the rain.)

Facts:
    I had not carried it in years and I had not touched the gun since 2008 (except for maintenance). I could use the cash.

The only silver lining was that the sale went very smooth with a (seemingly) likeable INGO member. I think my firstborn found a good home. Hopefully I'll get pictures in the months and years to come.
    Oh man, I know what you mean. A few years ago I had to sell a number of firearms just to make ends meet when all this "Hope and Change" started to set in. I had worked my butt off for about 15 years to accumulate those guns, and now they are mostly gone. Broke my heart. My wife really does not understand, but then she did not have to get rid of anything to get us through that ordeal. I have been slowly trying to build up my collection again, but I will never find a few of them that I had bought. They are just not around anymore. Hang in there.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    I have been buying, selling and trading guns for more than 30 years. If I had kept everyone I have ever owned I would own 102 firearms, currently I own fewer than 20. selling and trading are just a part of the hobby, get bored, sell or trade for something different. regrets? yeah sometimes, but nothing I can't get over with a little time and a new toy.

Top Bottom