• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you don't want to be caught in a monkey **** fight then stay away from the zoo. If you can't stay out of the zoo, at least stay away from the monkeys...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Following someone to their car can be a good indicator as well.Not just the clothing can give it away.

Then you have a bunch of non-visual cues as well, talking to the guy, the smell of Hoppe's #9 etc ...

Tacticle cues such as bump checks are used pretty often by different services if they suspest someone is armed.

Cops are good at finding if you're armed or not, some criminals too.

Printing is just a small part of what can give it away.
    I have a Hoppe's #9 air freshener thingy hanging from my rearview mirror, 2 different trucks for maybe 10 years and had maybe 3 people say something to me about it. But I suppose if bad guy is paying attention it says "break into this one".

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Interesting perspective of IU campus; I went to Purdue, and I assumed 0% because of the consequences but I'll bet you're right about there being a couple percent there. The threat of expulsion while I was on campus was one of the reasons that I didn't carry regularly until more recently.

The only reason I think it may be a couple percent is that (a) there's a ton of employees and maintenance staff that are mainly from the surrounding areas, a lot of whom were probably raised around firearms and don't fear the rule, and (b) campus is well blended with a lot of businesses and buildings where non-university people go and are totally free to carry firearms

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yesterday at Golden Coral in Plainfield, my SIL in jeans and a long sleeved sweater shirt.
    From behind he looked like he had stuck a crowbar in his waistband under his shirt.
    I know it was his XDM.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What percentage of the 890,730 LTCH holders are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of violent felons are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of non-violent felons/otherwise prohibited possessors are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of the remaining pie piece (which is quite large) are carrying a handgun at any given time?

I don't know, and neither does anybody else. I'd like to try and get a handle on the percentage of LTCH holders carrying. It would have to be done by survey. This is problematic since we live in a world where we don't trust the person calling.

Then we have the "carry regularly" issue to define. Except for a couple INGOers, NOBODY carries 24/7/365/sometimes more.

NRA members, attending the NRA Annual Meeting of Members, asked by NRA peeps, working in an NRA booth? I'd trust that data. I'd run the stats on it and would volunteer to work the booth. This of course scheduled around planned activities, speakers, training, autographs, possibly during my wife's nap :D

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    The only reason I think it may be a couple percent is that (a) there's a ton of employees and maintenance staff that are mainly from the surrounding areas, a lot of whom were probably raised around firearms and don't fear the rule, and (b) campus is well blended with a lot of businesses and buildings where non-university people go and are totally free to carry firearms

Yeah, that's true. I usually went on and off the actual academic campus to the "campus" restaurants and houses and other businesses 2 or 3 times a day, and as soon as you're off the actual academic campus I was with lots of non-university people.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    What percentage of the 890,730 LTCH holders are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of violent felons are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of non-violent felons/otherwise prohibited possessors are carrying a handgun at any given time?

What percentage of the remaining pie piece (which is quite large) are carrying a handgun at any given time?

I don't know, and neither does anybody else. I'd like to try and get a handle on the percentage of LTCH holders carrying. It would have to be done by survey. This is problematic since we live in a world where we don't trust the person calling.

Then we have the "carry regularly" issue to define. Except for a couple INGOers, NOBODY carries 24/7/365/sometimes more.

NRA members, attending the NRA Annual Meeting of Members, asked by NRA peeps, working in an NRA booth? I'd trust that data. I'd run the stats on it and would volunteer to work the booth. This of course scheduled around planned activities, speakers, training, autographs, possibly during my wife's nap :D

Yeah you're spot on that the survey is problematic; I certainly don't trust anyone who calls me. Your NRA survey is a good idea though, and it would be very interesting to see the results from it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think most people who are not LTCH holders themselves would be surprised at the number of people around them who are carrying, especially on the road.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some of the "tells" work for most people who are carrying. Some of them don't work at all for some people. People who are new to carrying are usually pretty obvious because so many of them can't stop touching the area where their gun is.

When I am actually trying to conceal, I would be impressed by anyone who can know I am carrying, much less find a gun on me without making significant physical contact.

Clothing is hit or miss. "Shoot Me Vests" are a good bet, but I've seen some guys who I would have bet money were carrying because of the vest they were wearing and I was wrong. The one externally observable clothing clue that is almost 100% is seeing a clip or set of soft loops on a belt (that are attached to a tuckable holster).

Donald47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Nashville
    With our open carry law, I am not overly concerned if someone notices my gun or if I print. I do not go out of my way to advertise that I am armed. The only place I do not carry in Nashville is our courthouse. I pay no attention to banks, doctor's offices, etc, who display a prohibition sign. My wife caries in her purse and always has it close by. There are a lot of CCW's in Nashville, but we all try not to be visible. At any given time, in a crowd, I can ID a dozen or so CCW's. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend and MAGA and GBA.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Where I sit currently? Zero. Unfortunately.

About 100 yards north? 1 armed Securitas employee. 1 or 2 of them look like they could be of real assistance should real assistance be needed. The others don't look the part. But I know that looks can be deceiving.

As far as when I'm out and about? Sometimes I can see them, most times I don't. I look for guns on people. A lot of the clues in that graphic posted above are pretty spot-on. I was looking at the liquor and wine at my local CVS recently. A guy wearing a sport coat (may have been a suit) came down the aisle towards me headed back to the pharmacy. As I stepped back to allow him by, his posture/movement didn't look fluid/normal. After he was by me, I looked and I could see a faint rectangle poking out of his back @ about 4:00 on his dial. I presumed it was a pistol for it was way too high and too small to have been a smart phone.

But I'm weird. And I know I'm amongst other wierdos here - I actively look for folks carrying guns. I think it's fun.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In our area, I think the percentage may be higher. I know a lot of people who carry on a regular basis. We ran into some friends at Walmart one night, and between the four of us, there were at least 6 guns. I do my best not to shop at stores that don't welcome those who carry, and pretty much ignore the signs at places that have them where I have to go...like the doctor's office.

I don't really understand the concept of choosing WHEN to carry. If you carry, you carry all the time...put it on when you get dressed in the morning and take it off when you undress at night but still have it within arm's reach. It doesn't do any good if it isn't close enough to use when you need it.

I don't worry about printing unless I am in an area where it isn't welcome.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I suspect you are incorrect. The number where you are is probably very small, but highly unlikely to be zero. Not everyone chooses to follow the rules.

I can guarantee it.

I've been here long enough to know the folks here. I know there are a FEW others who own guns. One other quasi-gun guy. But he's a mil-surp rifle aficionado who doesn't carry a handgun much outside of work. We talk about it. The others include a guy who is only a hunter yet owns at least 1 handgun...and a guy who just owns an AR and a G21 for home defense.

You're gonna have to trust me. Now, if I were downtown.... Who knows. Out of those hundreds of people, probably a small handful who do buck the rules. Here at my office? I wouldn't bet on it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can guarantee it.

I've been here long enough to know the folks here. I know there are a FEW others who own guns. One other quasi-gun guy. But he's a mil-surp rifle aficionado who doesn't carry a handgun much outside of work. We talk about it. The others include a guy who is only a hunter yet owns at least 1 handgun...and a guy who just owns an AR and a G21 for home defense.

You're gonna have to trust me. Now, if I were downtown.... Who knows. Out of those hundreds of people, probably a small handful who do buck the rules. Here at my office? I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah! I didn't know you were at a field office. I thought you were downtown.

How many people work at your office?

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    When I'm at home I'm sure it's quite a few, I have police officers as neighbors in every direction. I have one liberal neighbor and he's finally coming around. When I'm out I always carry and my doctor doesn't even notice.

Top Bottom