• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My uneducated guess is a very low percentage! Watch the people around you, most are oblivious to anything going on around them, let alone worried about packing iron. 1 or 2 percent at most!

I concur...most individuals are so engrossed in their activity (be it grocery shopping, getting gas, etc.) that if something were to happen in their immediate vicinity, they would be totally shocked and surprised...and probably not respond, at least not immediately, if at all!

Interesting question
    1. In rural areas it seems to be much higher both OC and CC. It’s not uncommon to witness, firearms are viewed more as tools than anything. The majority of people own firearms even if they do not carry so the fear and stigma is not as prevalent as in metropolitan areas. The response time for Law Enforcement can be as much as 45 min or more depending on where you are at. So it’s not unheard of to walk into someone’ Home and see weapons in plain sight.
    2. The only place I can think of off hand with a no weapons sign is BWW and that’s a 30 to 50 mile drive depending on the direction you head. It’s not really a consideration for me I might abide or not, more than likely I will take my money somewhere else.

True...I see more 'active' thought & action for home / personal defense in rural individuals than I do in city folks...but hear more discussion about it from city folks!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always carry openly unless an outer garment is called for because of the weather. I quit caring about offending others when I came to the realization that my rights are far more important than their feelings.

I’m still amazed how many times I walk right by people openly carrying and they don’t see the handgun on my hip.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I always carry openly unless an outer garment is called for because of the weather. I quit caring about offending others when I came to the realization that my rights are far more important than their feelings.

I’m still amazed how many times I walk right by people openly carrying and they don’t see the handgun on my hip.

They only notice what appears on their phone.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    [FONT=&quot]KellyinAvon[/FONT]

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by cbhausen

They only notice what appears on their phone.
    There will be an app for that soon. Or a glass eyeball, or phone bluetoothed to brain.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ah! I didn't know you were at a field office. I thought you were downtown.

How many people work at your office?

30-ish or so in my half of the building. Maybe another 40 in the other section. Wholly different divisions, though.

All of us out here, save the managers, are field staff type people. We need laboratory space, space for the vehicles that we use every day, as well as storage space for a metric crap ton of expensive field equipment.

6-7 years ago there was talk of them moving us all downtown, but it go anywhere due to the above. One section here has 2 clean rooms that'd cost upwards of $100k to have installed somewhere else. Can't just relocate what it is we have now. So....the company continues to pay through the nose in rent for this facility.

elkhunter2018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Where I sit currently? Zero. Unfortunately.

About 100 yards north? 1 armed Securitas employee. 1 or 2 of them look like they could be of real assistance should real assistance be needed. The others don't look the part. But I know that looks can be deceiving.

As far as when I'm out and about? Sometimes I can see them, most times I don't. I look for guns on people. A lot of the clues in that graphic posted above are pretty spot-on. I was looking at the liquor and wine at my local CVS recently. A guy wearing a sport coat (may have been a suit) came down the aisle towards me headed back to the pharmacy. As I stepped back to allow him by, his posture/movement didn't look fluid/normal. After he was by me, I looked and I could see a faint rectangle poking out of his back @ about 4:00 on his dial. I presumed it was a pistol for it was way too high and too small to have been a smart phone.

But I'm weird. And I know I'm amongst other wierdos here - I actively look for folks carrying guns. I think it's fun.

Same for me at where I work. I've been looking actively this week and you're right, it has been fun. I haven't seen anyone that is unsuccessfully concealing yet, but I do feel more aware of my surroundings.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Not as many people as you think are packing, only 16% of Indiana residents have a permit, 799,546 permits active in Indiana

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I looked up the numbers for the end of 2018, is now close to 900,000+ people with LTCH and about 6.6 million residents. So just over 1 in 7 have a license. Discounting those under 21 probably puts it around 1 in 5 I would guess. Another wild guess would say those having a LTCH but not carrying equal LEO's and illegals.

I figure 1 in 5 on average. Looking at my circle of friends and acquaintances bears this ratio out. Last time out with a known group of 30, I know 6 I was 95% sure they were carrying. I rarely spot a concealed carrier, but the chart earlier was quite helpful, will have to memorize that one. Thanks!

Why are we discounting Hoosiers under 21?

I usually see at least one person carrying, concealed, open, or poorly concealed, every time I go out. Also, I rarely venture out alone, so whoever is with me is always armed.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Where I work the office is full of those who are philosophically opposed to firearm ownership and oppose any expansion to carrying. As the token quasi-conservative (actually, more libertarian), they generally sort of tolerate me. :)

So, essentially, zero.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Keep in mind that the % of those of us who have an IN LTCH is higher. Because just the number of LTCH / population doesn't tell the story. You have to subtract everyone under 18 out of the population. Then you also must subtract those who are statutorily ineligible to have a LTCH - again driving the % higher.

Then to drive the numbers way way way lower - you have to subtract the # of those folks who never actually carry a firearm. Personally, I'd subtract even those who carry occasionally.

So, in actual reality, I'd be willing to bet that the actual % of Hoosiers that are legally armed at any given time (not counting LEO) is probably 5%.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I certainly don't limit my estimation of those who are carrying to only those who have a LTCH.

I once had a conversation with an acquaintance who is a city police officer in Illinois. He was telling me how good it was that they had FOID laws, so if he was going to an address, he could ask dispatch if there was a FOID registered to that address. If there was a FOID, he knew to expect that someone might be armed. My question is "If there's no FOID at that address, do you walk in assuming you're the only one armed?"

The assumption that nobody else is armed is rather naive in my opinion.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I certainly don't limit my estimation of those who are carrying to only those who have a LTCH.

I once had a conversation with an acquaintance who is a city police officer in Illinois. He was telling me how good it was that they had FOID laws, so if he was going to an address, he could ask dispatch if there was a FOID registered to that address. If there was a FOID, he knew to expect that someone might be armed. My question is "If there's no FOID at that address, do you walk in assuming you're the only one armed?"

Those who believe in the effectiveness of tools like the FOID and firearms registries seem to me to be those who would also have unrealistic expectations about how well they work.

Your observation hit the nail on the head; this guy is relying too much on voluntary compliance with gun laws, and seems to be drifting away from the very basic precautions he should be taking. Or at least letting his guard down.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Yeah, but having a firearm without a FOID is against the law, so... Oh, okay. I understand what you're getting at.

Top Bottom