How many households have guns in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just heard on TV (so it must be true) that in Alaska, 60% of households have guns.
    I guess that's a lot, im not really sure how we compare in Indiana and if it's even possible to really know since guns are not registered (I dont know if they are in Alaska). :dunno:

So what would you say is the percentage of housolds with a gun in Indiana?

Is there any official statistic?

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I personally have two guns, my uncle has over 200 guns, grandpa has a couple, and most of my other family do as well, so I would say a good amount of indiana residents do!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I personally have two guns, my uncle has over 200 guns, grandpa has a couple, and most of my other family do as well, so I would say a good amount of indiana residents do!

If you are from a "gun family" that doesn't mean that all the families are like that.
    I know people in Indiana that never had a gun in their family and dont know anybody that own a gun.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I know people in Indiana that never had a gun in their family and dont know anybody that own a gun.

Just based on my personal obversations (I know, not scientific data), I'd say that there is a strong correlation of gun ownership and rural residences. The majority of people I've met that live in urban and suburban areas didn't have guns, and I don't know that I've met anybody who owns property outside of city limits who didn't have guns.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    What I am trying to say is that my family is from all over Indiana, from Indy to small towns and they all have them, as well as most of my friends and many people I know. All I'm saying is that in my personal opinion there is a decent amount of Indiana residents that have firearms.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I would think a fairly high percentage. Maybe above the Midwest avg of 51%. The operative phrase being "in the home". I know several folks that do not carry a weapon but do have at least 1 firearm in their home for home defense.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I think most people don't "advertise" that they have guns in the house because that makes them a target for thieves

That would make sense. I know I'd never keep guns in the house because they're dangerous and scary. I've got a couple really loud whistles for self defense.

I have seen a few people I know that have pictures of their guns on facebook and they also had their home phone number and address listed...until I pointed that out. For the longest time, I didn't even have the current city listed on my profile and I'd never put a phone # or address and pictures of valuables.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think most people don't "advertise" that they have guns in the house because that makes them a target for thieves

You are probably right, it must depends on what kind of gun owner you are too.
    If you like shooting sports and own a big collection of guns, you are probably known in your family and among your friends for being "the gun guy" and you have no problem letting people know that you have guns, you invite them to the range and such.
    And you must also have the family that have just one gun for home defense and want to keep it secret, they are not really "gun people" and just have one gun as a tool.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I live in a rural area on a county road. There are guns in every single house that I can see from my property. I assume that goes for the rest of the homesteads on this road....No guns here, though. I also have been boating....John:ar15:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I think many here would be incredibly surprised how many households in Indiana house a firearm or rifle for home defense.

I did a quick survey of my employer (roughly 100 employees asked; varying from 20 year old singles to 30-40 with kids to 65+),
    And over 75% of them have a weapon for home defense. Doesn't mean they're all 'gun enthusiasts', as we are...
    But again, many might be surprised how many of your friends/family members have a weapon in home and don't talk about it.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I've got my glock tucked between my two cushions on my love seat so when peeps come in on me, I can pull it out sideways and shoot...
    got my ak47 inside my freezer so when I'm caught off guard getting my hot pocket, I can pop a cap.

I love America.

Insert purple where common sense doesn't apply.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    not really sure how we compare in Indiana and if it's even possible to really know since guns are not registered

Thank Heaven we don't have registration. I have a 12 gauage to celebrate the new year with. In addition I have a nailgun, paintgun, airgun, for a total of four guns. Don't know how many Hoosiers have guns. With all the construction workers and paint and body guys I bet the number is healthy.

Top Bottom