How many people here will be switching to crossbows next year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I was at Gander today and saw 5 different people in the short time i was there looking at buying crossbows for next season. I talked to 2 of them and asked why they are and the only response I really got was that its alot easier. I never really thought about switching to one, the main reason I bow hunt is for the challenge. I dont have any plans on switching to one until I physically have too. Just curious how many people here will be retiring the compounds and buying crossbows for next year?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Done done it back in 2001.

They might be easier to shoot (uif you have a rest) but none of them hunt for you. You still have to do all the hunting and the ONLY difference is the execution of the shot and most time that is not all that different.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't really attach much emotion to the "how I hunt" as I do, just getting out there and hunting. Personally I don't bow hunt but last year I did it one night. I don't think it's going to make any real difference if I killed a deer with a bow, a crossbow, a rifle, handgun, or muzzleloader. I can get just as close to the deer with any of them.

I can appreciate how people like the challenge of bow hunting, but lets face it, the modern bow with counterweights, fiber optic sights, and a compound since the guy can't hold it back otherwise isn't too far from using a crossbow.

I think people will make a more accurate shot (less wounded deer) with a crossbow and I think it's a good way to allow more hunting time for more people. I like the idea and before next year I'll likely pickup a crossbow.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I don't bow hunt today, but I anticipate buying a crossbow and hunting during bow season next year given the rules change. I just don't like bows, sorry fellas. :)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I might give it a try, at this point I've harvested with all legal tools, it would be neat to add another before my life time license expires

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I'm not against it, I just prefer my compound for now but eventually if I physically cant use it anymore I'll switch to a crossbow but until them I'll pass for now. I dont think any kind of hunting is easy and if it was I probably wouldnt hunt at all

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    now, Ive heard from friend who regularly bow hunt, that followup shots are possible because most bows are quiet enough, but would that be true with a cross bow?? Aren't they a lot more involved to cock back?

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Follow up shots are possible with compounds but you still have to move quite a bit to do so, I'm not sure about a crossbow but i'd think it would be a little more difficult. Especially if you're in a treestand, but maybe just having the one shot may make you concentrate alot more on making a good shot

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nope, just planning on doing more practicing to extend my effect range. Right now i'm only comfortable shooting to 20-25 yards. I'd like to stretch that out somewhat as i passed a few shots in the 30yd range this year.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I will add a crossbow mainly because it will allow me to take all three of my kids out during archery season. I can't afford to get them their own bows, let alone replace them when they keep growing. Draw length, weight, etc.

I LOVE the fact that I will have 3 months to take them out instead of just a couple of times during firearms. Will be make a huge impact on how much they can learn.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I will add a crossbow mainly because it will allow me to take all three of my kids out during archery season. I can't afford to get them their own bows, let alone replace them when they keep growing. Draw length, weight, etc.

First off, check this out: Handcrafted longbow. 58" hickory 50# @ 26" | eBay
    I've bought one of this guys bows and it's a lot of very inexpensive fun to go out and shoot.

I LOVE the fact that I will have 3 months to take them out instead of just a couple of times during firearms. Will be make a huge impact on how much they can learn.

Secondly, that is exactly what it's all about! Now you've got more time to spend with your kids and creat lifetime memories. Thank you for being a good dad! The world needs more dads like you. My kids are both under 3 years old so I still have some time to wait before I can take them hunting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom