How many people here will be switching to crossbows next year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    No chance I'll trade in my bow for a "crossgun" (And I am shamelessly stealing that term!) I used one 3 seasons ago when I broke my arm, and not only do I not like the idea of it, I didn't like hunting with it.

But I'm with Hickman on this, I might want to pick one up so that my kids- age 8, 6, and 3- will be able to go out with me during archery season over the next decade. Plus, when my dad comes to visit in the fall, I'd enjoy being able to hunt with him.

So no, I'll never switch, but its a great way to bow hunt with family members who can't bow hunt;):D!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Not I either. Crossbows are over rated. Any decent shot with a bow can outshoot a crossbow. I do support the use for guys that are unable to pull a bow. My 73 year old Dad uses one. The truth is they loose energy and speed really fast after 30 yards. Guys think because they have a scope on em they can shoot 100 yards like Rambo.

ALB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    I'll be buying and using a crossbow, already sold my long bow. Just didn't have the time to practice enough.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I've had a crossbow for several years now, used it in late archery but very little. I didn't spend much seeing I could only use it for a few weeks. With the rule change I will be looking at a better and LIGHTER one for next year. Looking at the Stryker line up.

Nothing magical about bow hunting IMO. Been there done that, shot alot of 3D, taken deer with one, time to try something different.:yesway:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I won't be getting one. I don't see much point, to me its like a rifle that shoots bolts. I'm not against them. Hunt however makes you happy.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Meh, I don't think its any different than guys who use compounds over more traditional bows.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I will not switch. I am only in favor of crossbows for those that can't shoot a compound bow. Wait and see if they don't change the laws making you wear orange during all deer season because of this. :xmad:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don't bow hunt for the challenge, I bow hunt for the 90 day season.

I don't get the "crossbow is easier" thing, you still have to get them in range.

I would have taken exactly ZERO more shots with a crossbow so far this season as I have with my bow.

Someday, I will learn enough about deer hunting to hunt for the challenge.

Someday, I'd like to build my own bow... and arrows and take a deer traditionally.

But first, I need to learn about deer hunting, and right now that is happening because I'm spending time in the woods with my Hoyt.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I will not switch. I am only in favor of crossbows for those that can't shoot a compound bow. Wait and see if they don't change the laws making you wear orange during all deer season because of this. :xmad:

so how about traditional only in early and compound/crossbow in late season?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    And handguns were going to ruin gun season...... Same argument different season.

LOL.... When the PCR debate was going on there were folks on Hoosier Huntng that was saying just that. The woods would be full of John Wayne wanabees toting 16 shot lever guns shooting up the woods..

They envisioned the Chuck Conners "Rifleman" walking through the woods doing his rapid fire blasting...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rifleman%2520shooting&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDUQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dg6YKsDuV8lk&ei=RZO6Tu-9A8ePgwfa0onRCA&usg=AFQjCNGcSE5MX7_MBVMbP1LXcDOWIw9ZFw

Much Ado About Nothing.....

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've had a crossbow for several years now, used it in late archery but very little. I didn't spend much seeing I could only use it for a few weeks. With the rule change I will be looking at a better and LIGHTER one for next year. Looking at the Stryker line up.

Nothing magical about bow hunting IMO. Been there done that, shot alot of 3D, taken deer with one, time to try something different.:yesway:

Stryker is having some severe limb problems right now. Lots of splintering..

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I have always wanted to bow hunt but practice time before bow season was not an option for me . I think the crossbow would require less pracrice time thus opening up bow hunting for me.

Top Bottom