How many people here will be switching to crossbows next year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I cant wait for all the gently used compounds to hit the market next year. There are going to be some good deals im sure. Might be a good time for me to upgrade :)

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    So if there is no difference between crossbows and compound bows, why has it taken so long to get them approved? Why were they not allowed before unless you had medical problem? The reason I think the state will require orange now is that the crossbow can be ready to fire just like a firearm. There will also be more people out hunting during archery season. With these two reasons alone, the state will want to protect us from ourselves. :twocents:

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    It took so long because no one wanted change, which is a problem in any political battle. And we all know politics have no logical reasons for battles, but there are always plenty of conspiracy theories.

The state if and when they decide we need orange is because of gunshots by bird, squirrel and othe gun hunters who accidently shoot bowhunters because bowhunters are not usually easily seen.

We will probably pick up a crossbow for my hubby who works long hours supporting us and just doesn't have the time to devote to a compound or trad bow but I so want to enjoy the woods with him during a quieter time than gun season. I actually am playing with the idea of a traditional bow next year after season is done. Neither choice is wrong because it is a personal choice, it won't change our actual style of hunting because we hunt only close range to deer. We are real people and don't take those 100 yard shots. My youngest son chose a compound over a crossbow, he's 12 but that's what he wanted. Course now it is up to him to practice enough to earn the right to hunt.

You can call them crossguns or whatever, it doesn't matter. Derogatory terms are frequently used by those who wish to belittle what others use to hunt or even what they choose to hunt. There are many of us that just want to hunt.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    It took so long because no one wanted change, which is a problem in any political battle. And we all know politics have no logical reasons for battles, but there are always plenty of conspiracy theories.

The state if and when they decide we need orange is because of gunshots by bird, squirrel and othe gun hunters who accidently shoot bowhunters because bowhunters are not usually easily seen.

We will probably pick up a crossbow for my hubby who works long hours supporting us and just doesn't have the time to devote to a compound or trad bow but I so want to enjoy the woods with him during a quieter time than gun season. I actually am playing with the idea of a traditional bow next year after season is done. Neither choice is wrong because it is a personal choice, it won't change our actual style of hunting because we hunt only close range to deer. We are real people and don't take those 100 yard shots. My youngest son chose a compound over a crossbow, he's 12 but that's what he wanted. Course now it is up to him to practice enough to earn the right to hunt.

You can call them crossguns or whatever, it doesn't matter. Derogatory terms are frequently used by those who wish to belittle what others use to hunt or even what they choose to hunt. There are many of us that just want to hunt.

Well said...

States that have crossbows have no more injuries from them than they do regular bows.

We are all still more likely to be injured or killed driving to go hunting than any "hunting accident".

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I prob won't switch as it appears more of a pain that using a compound. Thats based on me never handling one.

Do you need a pull assist to pull the string back to lock? How would that work if you needed a second shot while in the stand?

Second....how do you unload it after a day in the stand with no deer down? You have to fire it right? Isnt the pull weight around 180lbs or so. Would make for a hard let down manually.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I prob won't switch as it appears more of a pain that using a compound. Thats based on me never handling one.

There are pros and cons to all archery equipment. Only you can decide if a piece of equipment is right for you.

Do you need a pull assist to pull the string back to lock?

Unless you are Arnold Swazenegger, you will need an assist. That could be in the form of a rope cocking aid or a crank cocking aid. The rope reduces the pull by 50% (180 divided by 1/2 and divided again by two hands/arms gets you pulling 45# per hand/arm) and the crank is a two finger operation.

Both cocking aids will not only assist you in cocking but will also center the string which is VERY important for good accuracy.

How would that work if you needed a second shot while in the stand?

You may be able recock the crossbow in the stand - depending on the stand. Tough to do and and you woukd have to be very careful. Unless the deer is spine shot and laying there waiting for a second shot a second shot with a crossbw is VERY unlikely.

Second....how do you unload it after a day in the stand with no deer down? You have to fire it right?

Yes. There are some methods of let down without firing, but I just wait till get home and shoot it in my target in the back yard.

Isnt the pull weight around 180lbs or so.

Most are..

Would make for a hard let down manually.

I tried that once and now I don't have any finger prints left. ;)

Last edited:

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I didn't hear about a rule change. So crossbows are for more than the handicapped hunters, now? Huh.
    I've got each, here. Sure, the crossbow can be always ready and doesn't require the same strain on the arm when aiming, especially if there's that long delay before releasing. But, bows are unloaded until that arm pulls back. Crossbows, I could see someone shooting their foot, thinking it's safe like a bow, when it's closer to a firearm. Novice crossbow hunters would need to observe the "no finger in the trigger hole" rule, just like with firearms.

This does remind me, I need to pick up some more arrows.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    The cocking and reloading wasn't that big of an issue for me, even with one arm. The ten point xbow I used had a crank that I used once, it also had a stirrup thing at the end to put your foot in. Made it pretty easy to reload even in a stand. Just point it down and rest it at the bottom of your stand, slide your foot in and stand on it, and pull up on the string until it clicks into place. I loaded in the stand every time because I don't like to pull up a cocked crossbow. I shattered my arm and had already paid for a hunt in MO so I borrowed this one from a buddy. I ended up shooting a pheasant, a coon, and missing a red fox with it. Easy to reload, easy to shoot.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I liked watching the video on using a Parker Xbow, and they use the popsicle stick/hotdog analogy, comparing it to your finger. They showed what would happen if you accidentally stick your finger in the path of the string while holding the handle. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

I see more of that happening than anything.

I don't think you'll see many crossovers, as Xbows are every bit as expensive, or more so than compounds. Try explaining to Momma how you need a Xbow too, when you already dropped a wad on your other stuff.

I do prefer Parkers line over any of the others. They've figured it out.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So it seems that those who currently bowhunt do not want to make the change. I bowhunt and won't make the change anytime soon... And it seems that those who don't have time/energy for bow hunting want to begin using crossbow. I understand those who have children that cannot shoot a bow due to strength/thick clothing/etc.. and those who cannot physically shoot a bow, but I could see this turning into another gun season for the arrow-using newbies. Nothing ticks me off more than the slug slingers that dust off the ol' shotgun opening morning and start wounding deer. It may not happen that way with crossbows, but then again there is a high possibility of it due to the perception that they are gun-like and don't require the practice that bows do.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Second....how do you unload it after a day in the stand with no deer down? You have to fire it right?

Yes. There are some methods of let down without firing, but I just wait till get home and shoot it in my target in the back yard.

Wouldn't this be a law violation. If a bow hunter has an arrow nocked after legal shooting time it is a violation. How would this be any different?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Willie I'm kind of confused here. I'm 54 and never was a muscle bound HE man but I can cock my crossbow easily, even while sitting in a ladder stand.:dunno: It's a 175# Horton. I push with my leg about as much as I pull with my arms. I took a Sharpie and marked the serving so I know it's centered everytime.

As far as "unloading" a crossbow, I carry 4 bolts. One has a fieldpoint on it and I just fire it into the ground.:yesway:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

Wouldn't this be a law violation. If a bow hunter has an arrow nocked after legal shooting time it is a violation. How would this be any different?

Not at all.. There is no arrow in the crossbow even though it is cocked..

BTW - that nocked arrow law after hours has been changed as well as loaded gun after hours/

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie I'm kind of confused here. I'm 54 and never was a muscle bound HE man but I can cock my crossbow easily, even while sitting in a ladder stand.:dunno: It's a 175# Horton. I push with my leg about as much as I pull with my arms.

More power to you. ;)

I took a Sharpie and marked the serving so I know it's centered everytime.

good idea..

As far as "unloading" a crossbow, I carry 4 bolts. One has a fieldpoint on it and I just fire it into the ground.:yesway:

Depends on where you are hunting. Unseen rocks can tough on arrows..

Top Bottom