• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    When I go train with my handgun I will go through 3K in 3 days. I always have that on hand plus another 3K min. That is 9mm. The AR stash is up to around 7K now. 12gauge is holding at 6oo rds. Thats alittle low. Wife and I have the same firearms so that we can exchange mags., ammo or wepon w/ little down time.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Barter is a good consideration. Not sure but I would say most common ammo would be valuable, truthfully I expect ammo to be more valuable then gold, silver or other monetary "cash" in my opinion.

Training, as I stated early, whatever you shoot in a normal year times two just for training for you, if you support others multiply by the number of "dependants" and maybe some extra.

Hunting, well I don't plan to hunt with my handgun so that means shotgun and rifle. A good diversity would also be to include some black powder rifles, lead, powder, caps and molds...

Defense, well lets just say hunting and trading and trainng don't matter, use that ammo to survive..

Oh and another point, is the different types of ammo, hunting, defense, training... Why waste soft points used for hunting on training or barter...

Great thread guys. keep the info going..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I go train with my handgun I will go through 3K in 3 days. I always have that on hand plus another 3K min. That is 9mm. The AR stash is up to around 7K now. 12gauge is holding at 6oo rds. Thats alittle low. Wife and I have the same firearms so that we can exchange mags., ammo or wepon w/ little down time.

It seems I am a bit behind on my supply's. I am proficient with the use of my main defense weapons as are the others in our family and group. I am not in the habit of spraying rounds but using them effectively. One body per bullet. I know this is not a real world thing and you can not always pick and choose targets.
    The OP wants specific answers to a question that covers so many scenarios. If I could just stop buying guns I could concentrate on the supply side. Since I have been reading and posting here there have been many things I thought and practiced that have been changed. Great input and info. I am off to Bradis 2, they have bulk ammo on sale. I have some catching up to do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Barter is a good consideration. Not sure but I would say most common ammo would be valuable, truthfully I expect ammo to be more valuable then gold, silver or other monetary "cash" in my opinion.

Training, as I stated early, whatever you shoot in a normal year times two just for training for you, if you support others multiply by the number of "dependants" and maybe some extra.

Hunting, well I don't plan to hunt with my handgun so that means shotgun and rifle. A good diversity would also be to include some black powder rifles, lead, powder, caps and molds...

Defense, well lets just say hunting and trading and trainng don't matter, use that ammo to survive..

Oh and another point, is the different types of ammo, hunting, defense, training... Why waste soft points used for hunting on training or barter...

Great thread guys. keep the info going..

Been reading your story line. Great stuff.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I agree, churchmouse, this is exactly what I was looking for. Initially I was thinking in terms of 1,000 rounds per weapon, but the information here shows me there needs to be a bit more thought put into the matter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, churchmouse, this is exactly what I was looking for. Initially I was thinking in terms of 1,000 rounds per weapon, but the information here shows me there needs to be a bit more thought put into the matter.

I am ahead of your stated quota but lag behind some of the other people who have posted on this thread. I am officially out of security storage space in my locking cabinets. I could squeeze a bit more in them but expansion is needed to achieve my new goals. My wife is on board with this so I have that working for me.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    At what point would you feel comfortable saying, "I have enough for emergency purposes?"
    20k rounds per rifle caliber I truly need. Same to half per handgun caliber.

This does not include practice ammo for any given year, .22lr or shotgun.

So once you get ammo stored, you either rotate and replace when you practice, or roll your own/buy fresh for the range each year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    20k rounds per rifle caliber I truly need. Same to half per handgun caliber.

This does not include practice ammo for any given year, .22lr or shotgun.

So once you get ammo stored, you either rotate and replace when you practice, or roll your own/buy fresh for the range each year.

Wow, I will need to add on to the house....Seriously.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    as a good friend of mine once said, regarding survival, "When your done buying toys, spend the rest of your days buying ammo."

brucear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    AMMO

5500 45 ACP
    5500 9MM
    5500 44 Mag
    5500 357 Mag
    5500 38 Special
    5500 30/30
    5500 30/06
    2500 45/70
    5500 308
    10,000 12 Gauge
    10,000 20 Gauge
    50,000 22 LR
    :rockwoot: :draw: :ar15:

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A couple thousand rounds of rifle and pistol would be decent.
    Eventually life goes back to normal or becomes like the 'Road Warrior' movie, with bows and arrows.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    5500 45 ACP
    5500 9MM
    5500 44 Mag
    5500 357 Mag
    5500 38 Special
    5500 30/30
    5500 30/06
    2500 45/70
    5500 308
    10,000 12 Gauge
    10,000 20 Gauge
    50,000 22 LR
    :rockwoot: :draw: :ar15:

LOL Is this your wish list or ammo on hand?That list would be worth around 5 or 6 grand,I would guess without adding it up. Need you for a neighbor if SHTF

Top Bottom