How often do you dream of having a 'defensive gun use' situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    It actually makes me feel quite a bit better about this knowing that I'm not the only one having these dreams. I don't have them often, maybe 5-6 a year. But when I do, it's either the gun malfunctioning or having no effect on the BG. They seem to be concentrated around the times when I am shooting more than normal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Far and few between, but yes. I second the bullets dribbling out of the gun.

Prior to that (as a kid) it was being chased and unable to run fast.

Though today I can firmly pin my dream components to prior discussions. Last night's was a doozy!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I very very rarely even recall a dream after waking up. So I can't say that I have or haven't had such dreams as I can't recall ever having one like others have described. I find it interesting though ad it makes me wonder if I do

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My opinion: trying to associate dreams too literally with something in real life is a less than rewarding exercise. Images and events in dreams are rarely straightforward and the underlying "meanings" are probably far simpler than the actual events and images in the dream. A lot of people continue to have a dream throughout life that they are late for an exam in school, but they have not actual concern over this when awake. I don't see why it would be any different with self-defense and gun-related dreams.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    To answer the OP, I haven't had one of these in a while, but it happens occasionally. Usually it's either a malfunction or the gun just doesn't work. The worst part about the dream is the pure desperation that I feel trying to pull a trigger that won't budge. That hopelessness is a terrible thing.

As an aside, I recently had a dream in which I was Hitler and was on a train with someone trying to kill me by injecting some unknown substance into my leg. I fought them off and they subsequently cut my throat. The strangest part was going back to sleep; I had the exact same dream but, apparently realizing my fate, I allowed them to inject me and faded into darkness. It was odd to say the least.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think I've ever had a dream about guns in any manner. If I have, it's been very rarely and appearently they haven't been very memorable.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Odd question... perhaps. But I'm sort of curious how often other gun owners have dreams that may involve a DGU.

I'd also love to know how it compares to people that aren't gun-owners... but I won't find that statistic here.

Since owning and carrying guns, I can say I've definitely had a lot of dreams over the years where a gun was involved. In most cases, there's never a "bang"... and the trigger feels "squishy" and un-usable. Dreams being dreams, I guess.

How about you, INGO? Ever dream of single-handedly taking down ISIS with your pocket pistol? :)

I have them once in awhile, but not often. When I do, it's usually one where the rounds just roll out of the gun or the trigger is very hard to pull.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I remember something Dave Grossman saying once - that having dreams like this, especially when the gun doesn't work, is your subconscious' way of telling you it's doubting the recency of your training and your ability to perform.

Seems to be true for me. If I keep up on my training, such dreams go away. YMMV.

So, "how often?" It varies. Haven't had one in a couple of years at least (maybe longer). Been keeping up on my training. :yesway:

Yep, I've had the trigger malfunction dream in the past, but not for quite a while.

I equated them to what you state here, not being comfortable with recency of training, etc. Not that I am complacent now, but I don't seem to have these dreams, and the gun is really a part of every day life for me now and I'm pretty comfortable with an EDC just being part of life, so I figure those 2 things are linked.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    About the same frequency, I have the dream where I'm in college and thought I'd dropped a class, but they're telling me I have to take the final. Even though I haven't been there the whole semester.

at least once a year. I wake so freaking anxious

i’m Hoping that won’t happen with St Peter...

regarding the gun dreams, not as many DGU as OGU :):. I kid... I kid...

Wasn’t There a member here who liked to analyze dreams?

i don’t think the gun not working right is anything special about guns. I’ve had dreams where I couldn’t run because I was too light and couldn’t Grip the ground. Car wouldn’t Go fast. Hammer won’t generate force. Basically tools not working appropriately. Never about ED fortunately. But I always wake up :(

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I don't think I've ever had a dream about guns in any manner. If I have, it's been very rarely and appearently they haven't been very memorable.

yea, me either :dunno:

i dont recall my dreams at all.
    i do remember vividly the 2 times i did have to draw a weapon in self defense... it was over 20 years ago, but seems like it happened yesterday

:cheers:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I remember something Dave Grossman saying once - that having dreams like this, especially when the gun doesn't work, is your subconscious' way of telling you it's doubting the recency of your training and your ability to perform.

Seems to be true for me. If I keep up on my training, such dreams go away. YMMV.

So, "how often?" It varies. Haven't had one in a couple of years at least (maybe longer). Been keeping up on my training. :yesway:

I was thinking the same thing. I watch factory training videos which are important for correct hand placement for my carry, and practice with my carry and holster to build muscle memory. Quick draw with finger at the side, hand placement and line of sight, trigger reset, grouping. I never had a gun dream so there might be something to feeling confident.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Occasionally, it's never the gun not working it's that I am shooting the Terminator and it wont die , that's the nightmare. Yes the Terminator scared the crap out of me growing up :laugh:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wish I slept soundly enough to remember a dream. I don't recall a having a memorable dream but maybe once every 3-4 years.

Top Bottom