How often do you shoot and how much ammo do you shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    :ar15:If I'm not, please don't flame me...:ar15: I am just curious as to, if I have been shooting too much? I picked up my first and only firearm 24 days ago today. I have already fired over 680 rounds through my P94 in that short amount of time and have been to the range 8 times since picking up my new gun.

I guess the reason for this thread is because I have had some family members comment that since i'm not in the military or a LEO, I'm shooting an awful lot of ammo and that 1,000rds would last them 6months or more... I haven't really been screwing around, I have been shooting A LOT of targets to improve my consistency and getting my group size smaller. I would like to be able to join some pistol shooting matches next year for fun without looking like a complete and total retard.

How often do you shoot and how much ammo do YOU PERSONALLY fire?

Last edited:

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    I shoot a few guns every few weekends. I always shoot my carry sidearm everytime I go. As for amount of rounds at minimum 100 rounds for each calibur I am planning on shooting.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am at the range at least every other weekend. Sometimes both days on the weekend, just depends. Usually 200 - 300 rounds of .22lr each trip. And another 100 - 200 rounds of various other calibers too.

So usually 400 - 500 rounds every other weekend. Sometimes more than that if I really need to unwind! :D

Last edited:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I can usually get time to shoot twice a month. I usually shoot rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I have been known to shoot between 100-1000 rounds at a time. I always keep a certain amount of ammo for HD / SHTF, etc.

I always keep keep the following at home at all times:

600-1000 7.62x39
    500 5.56
    500 9mm assorted FMJ and HP
    500 .45acp assorted FMJ and HP
    300 12 ga. Assorted bird shot, buck shot, slug
    2000 .22lr
    440 7.62x54

Other caliber are mixed on amounts. The calibers shown are what I keep in stock permanently. Always rotate ammo when shot. Shoot old ammo and replace with new ammo. At least that's how I do it. I'd like to shoot more often but money and time prohibit that.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I have several handguns and I rotate them. I NEVER wanna have more than one gun dirty at a time.. That's just my thing. I never shoot the gun I'm carrying (at the range anyway!). I don't like sticking a nasty dirty gun in an expensive leather holster. That's one reason I generally always have 2 carry guns and two home defense guns. I go at least once a month to the range...and sometimes twice a month. How much ammo depends. If I am breaking in a new pistol then I shoot 250 rounds in one setting. If I'm just practicing then it's 100 rounds for a pistol but only 50 for a revolver.

So yeah by my standards you are burning through a LOT of ammo! Not that there is anything wrong with that (in the words of Jerry Seinfeld). :):

It's just gonna cost you a lot of money! It also wouldn't be a bad idea to get a "twin" pistol and rotate 'em a bit if you are gonna shoot that much so frequently. You know like a runner usually has several pair of shoes?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I usually go once or twice a week, shoot various guns in my collection, any thing from .22 to shotgun. I shoot anywhere from 200 to 500 or so rounds per trip average. (sometimes more but seldom less). Tell your family members THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SHOOTING TOO MUCH!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There is nothing wrong with shooting a lot of ammo and if you join IDPA or other shooting sports, then you will shoot quite a bit of ammo there as well. That said, there are some things that you can do that can reduce your costs and/or make your range time more effective. By my calculation, you've already shot off over $140 of retail ammo in under a month. Here are some things that you can do to continue improving your shooting skills while lowering costs:
    • Buy and practice with a .22 pistol. You get 80-90% of the benefit of shooting your main caliber while spending about 4 cents/round instead of 20+ cents/round. You don't have the recoil, but you still have to practice sight picture, trigger control, breath control, etc.
    • Learn about dry firing. Again, you get much of the value of live fire while spending nothing. There are a number of threads in the training section on dry fire training. Per Ruger, P94s are okay to dry fire, though not all pistols are.
    • Check into different training regimens in the training section or elsewhere. Quantity of shooting is not always the best way to learn. You may ingrain bad habits instead of good. Work on quality of your training.
    • I would recommend checking into reloading, but from what I understand, reloading 9mm doesn't save much over retail. Others can comment on that.
    • If you expect to continue to shoot large quantities, then check into buying ammo by the case (1000 rds) instead of by the box to save some money.
    Have fun, be safe, and good luck. :ingo:

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There's really no such thing as shooting too much, unless it's causing you financial difficulties.

Over the last 4 months or so, I've shot somewhere north of 4000 rds. A bit over 3k of 357 Sig, 500 or so 9mm, and 1000 or so 22lr.

I'll be shooting even more once I get a proper range membership. I expect between now and the end of October, I'll burn through another 3-4k.

reloading for the centerfire stuff makes it much more affordable. $130/1000rds of 9mm, (saving over 100/1000 compared to bulk factory stuff) about $170/1000 for the 357 Sig.

One thing that should of course be noted: perfect practice makes perfect. Shooting a lot without training can ingrain bad habits and actually be counterproductive.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I go at least once a month. I'll go through at least 300 rounds for each gun. Need to go soon. I need my gun powder fix I'm starting to get withdraws

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you have the time and money, you can never shoot too much.

I would say I go to the range once a week or once every two weeks. Usually fire 50 rounds through each of my guns and more through the AK and AR. I reload my handgun ammo so thats less of a cost, but its still expensive which is why I dont go more often.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    • Check into different training regimens in the training section or elsewhere. Quantity of shooting is not always the best way to learn. You may ingrain bad habits instead of good. Work on quality of your training.

My Uncle is a retired Boarder Patrol officer/ Firearms instructor. So Each week we go to the range together and he tells/shows me what and if I am doing something wrong. Along with different self defense scenarios/positions.

I am getting MUCH better at trigger control and getting to the point to where I am not a little sissy and closing my eyes as the gun goes bang! I am now seeing the brass fly out of the gun, Saturday, I saw my first muzzle flash, Must admit, it was quite intimidating and a startling experience!!! lol

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    • I would recommend checking into reloading, but from what I understand, reloading 9mm doesn't save much over retail. Others can comment on that.
    • If you expect to continue to shoot large quantities, then check into buying ammo by the case (1000 rds) instead of by the box to save some money.

Guess I should have said a P944 like ruger sometimes refers to it in their manual, It is a P94 chambered in 40S&W.

As for reloading, As soon as my Uncle's new house is finished and he is moved in and unpacked, He is going to show/teach me about reloading. I already have the money put back so when he says he is ready, I will have the funds to purchase what I need...

I haven't witnessed the price of ammo yet. When I picked up my gun, my uncle gave me an ammo can of 1,000 rounds of 40S&W as a congratulations gift on my first firearm purchase. :rockwoot:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sounds like you have very good help to start. .40s are definitely worth reloading to save money because they retail for 50% more than 9mm. There are a lot of good resources on this board for reloading as well as training.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Handgun shooting used to average 2-500 a day. Life has been getting in the way the last few years. Now it's about 2-500 a week. With a new SMG on the way that's about to go way up. :D

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    every Thursday night at least 30 rounds for record for the past 23 years, Then weekend matches, Plus here lately at least one 2-3 day training class a year

I will make the argument that Rounds for record count more than rounds for fun, Every one is given 100% and no excuses.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Usually about twice a week I hit the range and put about 200rds downrange each time. so I'd say I average about 350rds a week (sometimes I only make it the once) of different caliber.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    :ar15:If I'm not, please don't flame me...:ar15: I am just curious as to, if I have been shooting too much? I picked up my first and only firearm 24 days ago today. I have already fired over 680 rounds through my P94 in that short amount of time and have been to the range 8 times since picking up my new gun.

I guess the reason for this thread is because I have had some family members comment that since i'm not in the military or a LEO, I'm shooting an awful lot of ammo and that 1,000rds would last them 6months or more... I haven't really been screwing around, I have been shooting A LOT of targets to improve my consistency and getting my group size smaller. I would like to be able to join some pistol shooting matches next year for fun without looking like a complete and total retard.

How often do you shoot and how much ammo do YOU PERSONALLY fire?

I shoot almost every weekend, and have known to put as little as 50 rounds down range, and as much as 1,000+ in a single day, though I do not stick with one caliber or a single firearm. I mostly shoot the .22's if I find I am going to be out there for a while so that I'm not spending so much money, so to speak. Really it all just depends on who I'm with and what we're doing, but practice makes perfect. I don't think there is any such thing as shooting "too much"!

Top Bottom