How often do you shoot and how much ammo do you shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    :ar15:If I'm not, please don't flame me...:ar15: I am just curious as to, if I have been shooting too much? I picked up my first and only firearm 24 days ago today. I have already fired over 680 rounds through my P94 in that short amount of time and have been to the range 8 times since picking up my new gun.

I guess the reason for this thread is because I have had some family members comment that since i'm not in the military or a LEO, I'm shooting an awful lot of ammo and that 1,000rds would last them 6months or more... I haven't really been screwing around, I have been shooting A LOT of targets to improve my consistency and getting my group size smaller. I would like to be able to join some pistol shooting matches next year for fun without looking like a complete and total retard.

How often do you shoot and how much ammo do YOU PERSONALLY fire?
    Well, personally, who cares how much you go shooting? I would go more than once or twice a month if I could, but other things take over and I can't get there as much. I have read that the guys who compete, professionally anyway, shoot like 1,000 rounds per week or so. Practice makes perfect. I shoot about 100 rounds per month through my CC guns, then do a lot of rifle shooting using .22LR. I only occasionally shoot center fire rifles, due to the cost of ammo. Time and cost are my obsticles. Good luck if you try to compete.:ingo:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Usually only shoot once a month. If I bring a lot of 22's I can burn thru 3-4k rounds easy, if I bring the heavy stuff its usually under 1000. Only exception is when I bring the PS90 with me... I tend to burn 1500 rounds in that gun alone, its just so much damn fun to shoot.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Shoot as much as you have time for and can afford. I freekin love shooting and go when I can. Getting better with your firearm is important and you have to way the cost of ammo and buying more guns because 1 won't ever be enough. I won't shoot as much now that hunting season is almost here for me, but in the winter when there is nothing else to do I love shooting as it gets me outside and keeps me from getting winter depressed.

Always good to have another addicted to the sport and happy :ar15:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would like to be able to join some pistol shooting matches next year for fun without looking like a complete and total retard.
    LOL! Practice makes perfect. I might go through 3-400rds/mo, all calibers combined except .22's. I'd probably shoot more, but I can't get to the range very often.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    :ar15:If I'm not, please don't flame me...:ar15: I am just curious as to, if I have been shooting too much? I picked up my first and only firearm 24 days ago today. I have already fired over 680 rounds through my P94 in that short amount of time and have been to the range 8 times since picking up my new gun.

I guess the reason for this thread is because I have had some family members comment that since i'm not in the military or a LEO, I'm shooting an awful lot of ammo and that 1,000rds would last them 6months or more... I haven't really been screwing around, I have been shooting A LOT of targets to improve my consistency and getting my group size smaller. I would like to be able to join some pistol shooting matches next year for fun without looking like a complete and total retard.

How often do you shoot and how much ammo do YOU PERSONALLY fire?

I usually shoot once a week...but on occasion more...and usually about 100 rounds per session.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Shoot all you want, when you want. If people question how much you shoot, invite them to go with you. You might introduce a new shooter to the sport. I can tell you how many times family members have come to the range for the first time, and get hooked. My sister-in-law is one example. She never cared about guns untill she went to the range. Then she loved it.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I say to shoot as often as you can afford it. I shoot at least a cowboy action match monthly and any other time I can.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I used to shoot a lot more before the price of ammo more than doubled because of the election of Obama.

Top Bottom