• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Back in the sixties I made a shotgun stock for an old stevens double barrel shotgun.I did this in shop class and had the gun in the class almost every day. It wasn't a big deal. For the last three years I have been a mentor to three different high school seniors who wanted to do firearms safety and all around shooting as their senior projects. This is a good project to get kids interested in shooting. I donate my time loan my firearms and donate ammo and targets to the kids. The kids have to bring someone with them to photograph their shooting for classroom documentation. Sad to say but no firearms in school, even as a teaching tool. Times sure have changed and not for the better, in my opinion.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Back when I was in 3rd grade (1964-65) growing up in a small NW Indiana town, a lot of us boys had an interest in WW2.
    Many of us read books, collected military badges, empty brass and other militaria appropriate for kids our age.

There was a glass display case by the door to the gym, and each class got to put their own display in it for 2 weeks.

Our 3rd grade class decided to put militaria collected by the kids and brought from home from parents that contributed to it.

Our display was pretty cool, among the militaria we also had all kinds of deactivated ordnance, and even a WW2 Italian issue rifle that a friend of mine's dad brought in.

It was VERY well received without ANY negativity at all.

The times have sure changed....

In my day, I remember reading "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" in the 3rd grade, as well as other books of this type.

We were taught about things like Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier.

I remember one day when a bunch of us boys were drawing WW2 battle pictures on our free time, with the American soldiers fighting the Nazis, our 3rd grade teacher had us stop drawing for a moment.

She proceeded to tell us of how EVIL the Nazis were.
    i can remember she ended by telling us with TEARS welling up in her eyes,
    "DO YOU REALIZE THAT IF YOU LIVED IN GERMANY IN THOSE TIMES YOU WOULD ALREADY BE BRAINWASHED BY THE TIME YOU'RE THE AGE YOU ARE NOW...?"
    (that's my first memory of the word "brainwashed")

I never forgot the lessons I learned from that teacher and other teachers I had that were of the "old school".

I remember a High School English Teacher (Female) in the mid 1970's, would tell us if we hadn't dropped the A-bombs on Japan, she wouldn't be there to teach us. Her reasoning, her father would have been in on the invasion of Japan, and probably wouldn't have survived. Hence, she wouldn't have been born.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Early eighties grad, we had smoking area's, could dip/chew during school as long as we carried a spit can. Carried lock blades in sheaths mostly buck 110's. Rifle racks loaded with SG's and rifles. I turned 18 in Feb my senior year had my LTCH by end of march and kept grandads WWII 45 in my glove box. Why yes it is a whole different world. Certainly no better world now IMHO!

Last edited:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    Junior year of H.S. we were studyting the U.S. Civil War (that's the "War of Northern Aggression", for those of you who associate yourselves with the losing side). The history teacher brough in a former student of his who was a Civil War re-enactor. He brought in his complete ensemble, even his reproduction, Springfield rifle musket. Several of us got to fire it (without the minie ball) out on the practice field, right next to the town's main drag.

Try that today and see what happens.

The Confederacy did not lose. She just fell a little shy of winning!;)

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    I remeber watching Jonny carson and bugging my parents to let me stay up that late. No DVDer. Maxwell Smart had a phone in his shoe:):

Dad came to me to get the cabinet key to get his 1100 out of the basement. It was my job to keep the guns cleaned and load the shells, even before I had my drivers liscence.

I beat his friends shooting trap in a leauge with a 870 pump when i was 15; still have the trophy; and they asked him to not bring me back the next year:)::)::)::):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We used to shoot BB guns a lot, I don't remember ever getting in trouble with them, but the town cop used to pull up and give us bottles to use for targets. As he was driving away he'd say, "don't be causin no trouble with them rifles boys". Those really where the good old days. I also remember going on a field trip to Spring Mill when I was in 5th grade, and buying a John Deere pocket knife in the gift shop after my teacher looked at it and said it was really cool, and would fit in well with my other John Deere crap I used to collect. Both the town cop, and my 5th grade teacher are gone now, but I still have both the Daisey bb gun and the knife.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    My old times aren't all that long ago, but sneaking up on me just the same. I was going to do ROTC in HS at Pike, but then I found out they used pellet guns. I took that as an insult and never did it. When my dad was in Arsenal Tech HS the ROTC used .22LRs. I wonder if they even get pellet guns now?

Also just before Columbine my dads poor excuse of lifeform wife implied to the school I was building bombs (She is trainned in Haz Mat, and the "substances" she couldn't identify was actually paper mache left over from an English project). The Dean talked to my dad, he told the Dean that I didn't need the net look stuff up, there's plenty of manuals and goodies around the house if I want to know something I can just ask. That was the end of that. I expect I would have been talking to the police if it had happened a few months later. If anyone finds that time machine, let me know, I want to go too!

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I used to run traps every morning during school. I would have my .22 pistol and a shotgun in my truck for dispatching. I had my shotgun sitting in a gun rack in the back window of my truck. I never heard any issues about having it there. If it was cold enough I would just leave the animals in my truck bed to clean after I got off school.

Now I think you'd get a bunch of gruff just for having hunting apparel on. My old high school still lets you take time off for deer season so there is some hope.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    My daughter had to turn her t-shirt inside out the other day at school. It said "Don't mess with Mosad" with a picture of a Glock on the front. It was the image of a gun that was the reason and not just because it was a Glock to those of you haters lol. But I wonder what her post to this thread in the next 10 to 15 years from now will be. Kinda sad to think about it. I Checked the uniform code at the school and it appears that she isn't in any kind of violation.

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    BUTTE , MONTANA

Shotgun preteen vs. Illegal alien Home Invaders...

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11-year-old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay-shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12-gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.
    Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee-crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.
    When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.
    It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45-caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David 0'Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.
    Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC , CBS, PBS, MSNBC , CNN , or ABC news........?
    An 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants.......and she wins,
    She is still alive.
    Now THAT is Gun Control!
    Thought for the day....
    Calling an illegal alien an
    'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an
    'unlicensed pharmacist'
    I like this kind of e-mail! American citizens defending themselves and their homes.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Oh yeah, the good ole days. I remember the school bus stopping at the local mom and pop store every day on the way to school. Most kids would buy candy, but some of us who had a quarter, would buy a box of .22 LR ammo once in a while. I remember, when I was a teen, walking through downtown New Albany (I lived on Main St.) at about 4:30 a.m. with a shotgun in a cloth slip cover my grandma made for me. A police cruiser drove by and figured (rightly so) that squirrel season was open. I remember riding my bicycle out in the country in Jeffersonville with my .22 rifle (in the same cloth cover) to go shooting with my friends I grew up with. Nobody even gave me a second look back then.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Back in the days if a boy did'nt carry a pocket knife there was something wrong with him. It was normal. All the guys or most of them would have their rifles or shotguns like already been mentioned in the back window of their pick up trucks. None of this was abnormal at all. Boys did not get sent home for carrying a knife. Times sure have changed in so many ways. My grandpa in Ky when I was little used to let me hold his rifle and taught me to use a sling shot. I used to love going to his house cause it was in the country and almost anything went out there. :yesway: We used to shoot at cans and whatever we could find and make home made traps for the wild game of which we never caught anything but it sure was fun trying. I was a tomboy for sure being the only girl with all those brothers.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I took my Hunters Education in school in the sixth grade. They had a full week to take all sorts of different classes,from model airplanes,basic electricity you name it. So I have had my certificate long before you were required to have one.Have had it on the wall ever since.
    We used to hunt from one woods to the other, and no one ever bothered us. Farmers would stop and tell us where they were seeing the big ones. A few times we waved at the school bus (That we should have been on) as it drove by.
    Gun in the back window when we made it back to school, no one bothered. Things were less complicated then for sure. I would not change that part of my life for anything. I fear it will never be as care free and worry free as it was then. I had all the time in the world to hunt, trap and run the ditch banks. Not so much anymore. Although my mind goes there often.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I worked at a steelmill in Chicago in the early and mid 70's and sometimes after work, myself and some work friends would go shooting at...what we called The Green Beret camp...it was nothing more than a shooting range with one bench that someone set-up years before behind a Chicago garbage dump.
    It was just West of 116th and Torrence...Yep in the City, and no one ever bothered us.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    In 1969 I got home from my tour in Viet Nam. A lot of things change in just one year. I wasn't aware of the enactment of the 1968 Gun Control Act. I went to the local Ace Hardware store and couldn't find the .22 ammo. I asked a salesman. He told me that it was upstairs. I went upstairs. There was a lady sitting behind a cage. I asked her if she knew where the .22 ammo was. She said that there was a new law and that she'd have to see my ID and record my name and address. I then had to sign for the same ammo, I'd bought like gum, as a pre-teen, before 1968. She might as well have slapped me in the face. It had the same demoralizing effect on me. I joined the NRA shortly after that and kept up, then upgraded my membership. We eventually got back the right to buy ammo by mail order.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    We used to take the guns to school so we could hunt after school. The only thing they asked was you put it in a case in your locker. We never locked the locker either and always had a knife heck I'd be in prison now for that:D

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I carried an antique flint lock rifle to grade school for show and tell.

Even better...On more than one occasion, I also brought a real human skull to grade school for show and tell. (My uncle was required to buy it, like one buys textbooks. He used it at med school, and gave it to us when he graduated and no longer needed it.)

It was no big deal to those of us in my family, and it was funny to see the other kids at school wig out.

The skull had metal hinged and sprung jaws. You could open the skull's mouth and it would snap shut.

I remember playing with it as a kid. (Now you know why I am the way I am) :): We were told to be gentle with it, but sometimes a tooth would fall out of it!

Oops.

Also, the top of the skull was cut of "skull-cap" style, so you could take the top of the skull off and look inside the head. It would lock back in place with a metal hook and latch system that was screwed into the bone.

We named the skull "Matilda" because we were always told it was a female's head. Matilda was the guest of honor every Halloween, and would really freak out the trick-or-treaters!

I think my mom still has the skull in a wooden box at her house. We figured it would be kinda disrespectful of the dead to just throw it away, not to mention the excitement it would create for the garbage man when he emptied our trash can!

My family was a lot of fun to be around back in olden times.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Gun Control act of '68'

In 1968 I bought my first gun-at the age of 14-with paper route $. Actually my Dad had to sign the form to buy it. It was a brand new, in the box, Marlin Golden 39A. The price, before sales tax was an outrages price of $89.95!:rockwoot:
    I would ride my bike, with the 39A strapped across the padded handlebars, to the dump down the road, with my dog in tow. No one thought anything wrong about it. The Sheriff would even stop+talk to me on the way+wish me good luck on the rats+to be sure to be safe==Oh YES times have changed.:draw:....Bill.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I remember my Mom and I walking towntown to the only gun store we had so I could get myself a shotgun so I could go rabbit hunting. This was probably 1960-61, I was 10 or 11. Then we walked home with me carrying it [of course]. I had a friend who had a beagle and every afternooon after school we would walk the 8+ blocks to the edge of town to hunt rabbits. What a sight, 2 11 year olds walking down the street with hog leg shotguns being led by a beagle on a leash. Man, those were the days.
    In the summer we all had BB guns and shot pigeons off of all our neighbors houses and just left the dead birds laying in the gutter by the curb. No one ever complained.

Top Bottom