• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd love to buy a Colt 6940. The only problem is that I'm short about $1300 plus shipping & ffl transfer. I've got a 6 position lower on the way, but now I need to start thinking about an upper. I'd like something with flip up front and rear sights that's under $500 complete with a bolt carrier & charging handle. Any recommendations? Is it even possible?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'd love to buy a Colt 6940. The only problem is that I'm short about $1300 plus shipping & ffl transfer. I've got a 6 position lower on the way, but now I need to start thinking about an upper. I'd like something with flip up front and rear sights that's under $500 complete with a bolt carrier & charging handle. Any recommendations? Is it even possible?

Check out J&T, Also MODEL 1 SALES:yesway:

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Double Star had some good deals on there uppers last INDY show. And in my opinion there much better quality.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've read a lot of good reviews on doublestars from budsgunshop. Where do I look to buy one of their uppers?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone know what you call the front sight on a 6940? Is it a folding sight gas block or called soemthing else?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone know what you call the front sight on a 6940? Is it a folding sight gas block or called soemthing else?

Yep.

Your best bet is probably gonna be a YHM unit.

YHM-9394-2.jpg

Front Flip Sight Towers

Keep in mind its bolted to the barrel, and not pinned like it should be. I personally wouldn't recommend a folding front sight that is attached or mounted to your gas block anyway, as it will get hot about the time you wanna flip it up or down. I believe there are better options available for a cheaper price.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Colt makes a great rifle. The arguement usually start when people start asking if it's worth the money or not. I've got one colt and one bushmaster with very close round counts. One has been back to the factory and one hasn't. There is a difference in the quality of the guns, but I can't afford to buy another colt. I'm not on the mil-spec bandwagon or anything like that, but I recognize a good product and I don't mind paying a little premium for a premium product.

I've heard of the problems mounting the magpul plastic front sights to gas blocks, but I've never heard of the problem with flip up iron sights. I'm still trying to think of what to get setup so keep the suggestions coming.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I really asking this, not trying to start a war - but what is this love affair with Colt ARs?

52 years of building ARs, used in every American conflict since Vietnam, used by countless other countries and LE agencies for starters. they are dependable and battle proven.

not to mention Colt holds the TDP of the M16 and M4...which is an established standard vs other companies who just throw rifles together.
    Colt rifles also have better resale value for what that's worth. i also have found their CS to be very good when my 1911 was recalled.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've never heard of the problem with flip up iron sights. I'm still trying to think of what to get setup so keep the suggestions coming.

Can I ask how you settled on the flip-up sights? Do you want them simply because you're making a 6940 clone or is there a practical purpose?

IMO, flip-ups can be nice, but not when they're attached to the gas block. There is also nothing inherently 'wrong' with a fixed FSB, even when using an optic. It would sure be cheaper and open up your search base a bit.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Can I ask how you settled on the flip-up sights? Do you want them simply because you're making a 6940 clone or is there a practical purpose?

IMO, flip-ups can be nice, but not when they're attached to the gas block. There is also nothing inherently 'wrong' with a fixed FSB, even when using an optic. It would sure be cheaper and open up your search base a bit.

Very fair question. I'd like to get setup with a red dot type of optic for quicker shooting. I tried putting one on my 6920 and seeing the front sight in the red dot view just annoyed the living heck out of me. So instead, I put an old trusty burris fullfield 2-7x with ballistic plex on it and I can't even see the front sight post in the view of the scope. I'm not complaining about my burris, because it really is a great setup with ballistic markings, variable power range, and doesn't require batteries. Even though I keep the scope on 2x, I know I give up speed for precision.

With this newest AR, I'd like to get it setup where I could use an optic, but I don't trust optics that take batteries and I like the idea of back up sights just in case. Even though I can rationalize it as much as I'd like, I'm also aware that part of the reason I want to get the flip up sights is because they do look kind of cool and it'd be different than the other guns I have.

I'm not 100% sold on the flip up sights and I'm just trying to get some homework done on them and what it'd cost to get something setup at whatever level of quality. I'm also considering just getting a trijicon relfex and being done with it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I tried putting one on my 6920 and seeing the front sight in the red dot view just annoyed the living heck out of me.

This is an issue for some people, and that's perfectly fine. Here is the flip side of that coin. . .

You say you don't like to rely on batteries, and that you believe backup irons are important, right? Well many guys run a fixed FSB for that very reason. When using an optic with a round window, such as an Aimpoint, the optic window can be used as a makeshift "ghost ring" in conjunction with the fixed FSB, in the event that your batteries go dead and you don't yet have time to deploy your rear flip-up.

I'm also aware that part of the reason I want to get the flip up sights is because they do look kind of cool and it'd be different than the other guns I have.

That's a perfectly valid reason, so don't discount it. You don't want to build an entire rifle based on other people's opinions and end up with something you're not happy with.

I'm not 100% sold on the flip up sights and I'm just trying to get some homework done on them and what it'd cost to get something setup at whatever level of quality. I'm also considering just getting a trijicon relfex and being done with it.

It pays to do your homework. And honestly, its a major portion of the "fun" part of any build. :yesway:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    What makes the 6940 different from other Colts is the monolithic upper. The cheapest monolithic you'll find with out barrel will cost about $500 alone (Surplusammo.com). Without a monolithic upper it's a 6920 with folding sights.:twocents:

Top Bottom