• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What makes the 6940 different from other Colts is the monolithic upper. The cheapest monolithic you'll find with out barrel will cost about $500 alone (Surplusammo.com). Without a monolithic upper it's a 6920 with folding sights.:twocents:

The monolithic part would be very nice too. To be honest, after I bought my 6920 and later put a Daniel Defense Omega free float rail on it I had as much in it as I would have had in just buying a 6940 from the start, or pretty close to it for that matter. In that light, why shouldn't I have just bought the stronger rail system that's also free floating and comes with the flip up sights. Quite honestly I just goofed when I bought my 6920 and I should have bought a 6940. Even though the dd omega rail is great, I don't think it's near as tough as a monolithic. I don't have one, but if I ever wanted to get a 37mm "Flare" launcher on it I don't think the omega rail would hold up as well as the 6940 rail would.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It pays to do your homework. And honestly, its a major portion of the "fun" part of any build. :yesway:

I'm trying to do my research and figure out just what to setup. I'd just like this one to be a little different than the others in both looks and function.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The monolithic part would be very nice too. Quite honestly I just goofed when I bought my 6920 and I should have bought a 6940.

Only real downside to the 6940 is that the mono upper receiver requires a proprietary barrel nut, and no armorer's tool for said nut is available as of yet.

Also, since you mentioned that you own a 6920, why not just sell it and put the proceeds toward buying a real 6940 instead of trying to cobble something together which will fall short of the mark?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Also, since you mentioned that you own a 6920, why not just sell it and put the proceeds toward buying a real 6940 instead of trying to cobble something together which will fall short of the mark?

What? Get rid of a perfectly good 6920?!?! Ever heard of black rifle disease? Such talk is blasphemy.

I've honestly considered selling the 6920, but we'be bonded and I can't get rid of it now.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When did this happen and how did I miss it?! .

circle-of-trust-diagram.jpg

:laugh:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yep.

Your best bet is probably gonna be a YHM unit.

VLTOR makes a killer folding sight/GB as well.

VST-2Csight-tn.jpg

Keep in mind its bolted to the barrel, and not pinned like it should be.

LOTS of gas blocks out there – including most of the low-pros – aren't pinned. I haven't had any problem with the YHM combo unit that has been on my Recon Carbine for the past several years, nor with the low-pro that is on my BCM middy. If the bolt-on or setscrew installation is done right, it should serve the needs of most Ordinary Earth People (i.e. civilian recreational shooters) just fine.

The one reservation I have about the YHM unit is that the bolts are oriented vertically with the heads pointing down rather than up (or better yet, oriented horizontally). This means that if a bolt ever does work loose, the chances of it falling out of the block and being lost forever are pretty high.

My :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    OP.

your question: "How to build a poor mans Colt 6940?"

I dont think you should try. here my reasoning based soley on my own experience.

everytime in my life that I have bought something less expenssive to mimic or replace something that was more expenssive, has actually led me to spend even more money in the long run because I was never satisfied I didnt have the original.

I think you should save your money and buy the real colt. its a good investment. it will keep going up in value and you will be happy. 2-cents. good luck!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I'd love to buy a Colt 6940. The only problem is that I'm short about $1300 plus shipping & ffl transfer. I've got a 6 position lower on the way, but now I need to start thinking about an upper. I'd like something with flip up front and rear sights that's under $500 complete with a bolt carrier & charging handle. Any recommendations? Is it even possible?

My agency just bought some of these for 1100.00 per shipped to the PD. I hope they are shooters. I like not having to mess with putting float hand guards on them.

Phoenix Law Enforcement Distributors

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Been very happy with my 6940. The fold down front sight greatly enhances the field of view through the Burris TAC30. I've never noticed the front getting hot, even after putting hundreds of rounds down range.
    100_9831.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I'm still trying to figure out what upper for this new lower and I was looking at the stag 3H and that seemed like a contender, but it's hard to tell the difference between that and the other flat top lower priced options out there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone know where I could buy the exact model of folding front sight that colt uses on their 6940? I found a good deal on an upper and it's on the way, but it has a fixed front sight post. I don't think I want a bolted on folding front sight and if there's a way to just buy the colt 6940 front sight then I think that's going to be my best bet.

Top Bottom