• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know of no place where you can buy bacon fat. Lard, yes. Get yourself a microwave bacon cooker pan and you can have all the grease you need, fast. I just save mine up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know of no place where you can buy bacon fat. Lard, yes. Get yourself a microwave bacon cooker pan and you can have all the grease you need, fast. I just save mine up.

Oh, and to make matters worse, mrs monkey and the kids prefer turkey bacon. :( I get outvoted often at the grocery. :):

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Oh, and to make matters worse, mrs monkey and the kids prefer turkey bacon. :( I get outvoted often at the grocery. :):

Get them some turkey "bacon" and the real stuff for yourself. Then save up your fat for the cooking, since theirs is just a foul chemically mess. Fortunately, everyone in my family likes real bacon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why can't you keep the fat if you bake? I just pour it off into a mason jar once the bacon is done.

It smokes like crazy in the catch pan when you oven bake unless you lay down paper towels.

Looking in the fridge at my empty mason jar makes me sad.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hmmm, mine hasn't been doing that. Maybe I'm cooking at a lower temp? I usually use 350*, I've heard others using higher temps but it doesn't smoke this way.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I was dubious about this method, but it's by far the best way to cook bacon. As the water cooks down, the juicy goodness soaks back into the bacon, and the end product is way more flavorful than normal.

In fact, I partially cooked my bacon this way today to create bacon-spinach-egg-mozzarella "muffins." They'll be out of the oven soon.
    I've done this several times.... so F**N' GOOD!! I partially cook the bacon and sprinkle some tarragon on there as well. Also caraway/rye or sourdough bread adds just that much more goodness.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So on a related note, where can you buy bacon grease? Or can you?

i have quite A few old school recipes from grandma that use bacon fat. Unfortunately I'm finding that doing things like baking bacon makes it so that I can't keep the fat. I just ran out of bacon fat so those recipies are dead in the water until I can find more. Yes I could buy more bacon and fry it but I'm thinking outside the box.

At the grocery store, in one-pound packages (I usually get Oscar Mayer). As a bonus, you get one pound of cooked bacon in the process of extracting the bacon grease. :)

(As someone else said: use a microwave bacon cooker. Easy collection of the grease. Save it in a disposable rubbermaid container, and store in the fridge.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It smokes like crazy in the catch pan when you oven bake unless you lay down paper towels.

Looking in the fridge at my empty mason jar makes me sad.

Hmmm, mine hasn't been doing that. Maybe I'm cooking at a lower temp? I usually use 350*, I've heard others using higher temps but it doesn't smoke this way.

FYI, the smoke point of pork fat is 375F.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    At the grocery store, in one-pound packages (I usually get Oscar Mayer). As a bonus, you get one pound of cooked bacon in the process of extracting the bacon grease. :)

(As someone else said: use a microwave bacon cooker. Easy collection of the grease. Save it in a disposable rubbermaid container, and store in the fridge.)
    :laugh: Great recipe!
    I usually get Farmland Bacon..... they even have a 'bacon club'. Farmland Bacon Club

View attachment 35558

Top Bottom