• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So we went to pick up my Sons truck today after getting the steering gear replaced. Plus one for the RedHead Steering gear. Since the shop is in a less than nice area I met my wife and son there after work. Unfortunately he needed Diesel so there were not a lot of options other than a station in Davidson County. My son fuels up and he likes to have a good turning radius so he gives himself plenty of room to get out. Then some guy try’s to get in his truck panhandling and would not leave. My son was asking him very politely to leave. Still he is trying to get in my sons truck. At this point I am thinking carjacking scenario. Me being me I pulled the SUV right along side of this ******* he got the point real quick he needed to leave.

After that my son told me that he was going to start driving if this clown had not gotten out of his window. Part of me wonders what the average person does to deal with aggressive panhandlers? So I Google it, WTF “…remember to Treat Them Respectfully, consider making a donation to a charitable organization …” So I guess that explains a lot about empowering criminal behavior and how were are where we are today.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Knowing Nashville is about a left as any big city these days, I would imagine anything other that a back massage would have gotten you guys cross wise with the powers that be there.
    Bad news for Trashville it has been broken up into several districts and they have now lost the political power they were aspiring to.

Not that It matters but it appears the guy is a regular PIA there and they were rather pleased to see him leave.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Then some guy try’s to get in his truck panhandling and would not leave. My son was asking him very politely to leave. Still he is trying to get in my sons truck.

There's probably a fine line here and depends on exactly what the panhandler's actions were...
    Working the handle (hopefully locked)?
    Opening the door?
    Reaching in the window?

Public space is fine, but once we cross into social space, verbal commands (No. Please step back.) are polite once and then are loud enough to draw attention (LEAVE ME ALONE AND BACK AWAY!)

Failure to withdraw (or the personal space boundary has been crossed) should receive a spicy blessing.

Any reasonable person would disengage from another person shouting at them. Similarly, a reasonable person will not enter a stranger's personal space.

While I think that almost every panhandler is a liar, I do believe in any person's right to ask others for help. Asking is where the line starts and ends...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    There's probably a fine line here and depends on exactly what the panhandler's actions were...
    Opening the door?
    Reaching in the window?

Public space is fine, but once we cross into social space, verbal commands (No. Please step back.) are polite once and then are loud enough to draw attention (LEAVE ME ALONE AND BACK AWAY!)

Failure to withdraw (or the personal space boundary has been crossed) should receive a spicy blessing.

Any reasonable person would disengage from another person shouting at them. Similarly, a reasonable person will not enter a stranger's personal space.

While I think that almost every panhandler is a liar, I do believe in any person's right to ask others for help. Asking is where the line starts and ends...
    Agreed lines were crossed by the panhandler, once he started trying to access the truck through the window, criminal intent was clear.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Supposedly in Bloomington, they can ask once for something. They are not supposed to "engage in conversation" or follow or harass in any way.

If they ask, say no and that should be the end of it.

My coworker and I were hassled by one and he was getting aggressive. I kept an eye on him while my coworker called the police. Since the cops know a lot of them, they knew the guy that got aggressive with us.

Nothing happened. As soon as he heard my coworker on the phone with LE, he left. Don't know if LE followed up with the guy. Doubt it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Opening the door?
    Reaching in the window?

This. What you are talking about is the technique called "Ask, Tell, Make."

Ask them to go away politely. "no thanks, I cant help you."
    Tell them firmly to GTFO. " I SAID I CANT HELP YOU! Move along NOW!"
    MAKE them GTFO. (do what is necessary to stop the threat)

But I like OP's method too. Its not stupid if it works. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CKW and I have developed a process for dealing with these **** bags.
    Its easy enough to see when someone actually needs help or they are just a panhandler. Working in the inner city and getting around as I have in this life they are easily put into groups.
    2 PH's had been working all the gas stations in our area last spring. CKW was getting fuel and I went in for ice. When I came out they were pressing her and getting aggressive. Until I joined the party.
    Not saying how we handled this as there are way to many armchair tacticians in the forum and they wear me out but lets say we did not see them around anymore after that social exchange.

If I see someone is truly in need I will assist as I can. Pan handlers are just POS thieves in my eyes. I have no patience for them. If I our my spouse is pumping gas leave us the hell alone. Period.

Top Bottom